Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

DaveC said:
Firefox said:
DaveC said:
The small screen may not be an issue for you, but it will be for many. I mean 2.8" ? a good size? Come on.

Don't see the problem with the size of the Wiz's screen. It's pretty much the same size as the screen on the GBA, GBA SP, DS, JXD-301...

Well I hated the screen size on GBA, GBA SP, DS, JXD-301. I always thought it was too small. Then when you run an emu and it is letterboxed then it is even smaller yet. I hate the scaling artifacts so stretching to make it fill the screen just adds another thing ruin it. This whole thing is a compromise. I don't see why we are so happy to get less.

I guess you have really good eyes. You will need them for this.
At least the wiz is the same resolution as the gp2x which is very emu friendly and usually doesn't require scaling and if so not much. For portable devices smaller is usually considered progress. Obviously for a gaming or media device you don't want it to be too small but the wiz screen size to me is big enough though I definitely wouldn't want smaller from there.

Regarding the oled screens it seems blue has a shorter lifespan than the other colors. Still doesn't seem to be too much a concern as it would still take a while.

I'm still incredulous that I don't hear anything about changing the dual dpads. Surely they must notice the huge amount of complaints about it. I wouldn't even consider getting a wiz with its current design.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix said:
I dont' want to get in on all the fighting, but..

DaveC -- are you going by spec or experience?

I can weigh in on OLEDs to some extent -- you have to user them HEAVY before any problems come in, but as in all things, it depends on the properties of the given display, the ,manufactuer and all that.

OLED screens on PDAs have been around a long time, and they held up REALLY WELL. PDAs that also had menu bars and such in the same place, all the time. Years later... no burn in, no blotch.

As I understand it, you can run one for a few hours a day ervery day and get blotch after a few months; at the subpixel level. After working a given subpixel over for several thousand hours.

Now, I don't know anythign if they fade over time all on their own or if its usage based, but IIRC its usage based.. and thus for most people, nothing noticable will happen for a great long time, probably long after they'd have stopped using it.

However, your comments about uneven fading is very intgeresting, I'd never heard that. But perhaps its the same boat.. something most would not notice, since the device longsinceunused before then.

(AS we all know, you're the exception; you notice everything, because you have spiderman eyes. We must use your powers for good, but be careful not to let you over-blow things on occasion :)

jeff

Well don't believe me.

Read up.

http://digidelve.com/oled/problems/

http://digidelve.com/tech/ageless-oled/

The aging aspect is not a big deal to me. If you search for OLED and aging, there are lots of predictions and they are not very consistent. Is the technology used for the Wiz not improved?

When you are a very fanatic player (hours a day), you might get problems with the screen, within its lifespan. For me, I think I play less than 15 minutes a day on average and I'm sure after 2 years there will be something new I want.
A visible screen while getting a tint in the sun, would be a very nice feature and certainly would make it THE gaming handheld for holidays.
I'd still like to have confirmation on this from someone with a Wiz.

Anyone knows if the Wiz Oled screen or pandora´s Lcd is good in Sunlight. I hope 1 is good enough to play outside in sunny places.

Squidge said:
I've no idea about either, but OLED should be pretty decent in sunlight (from what I've read).
You can see something on it, yeah. It's not perfect, but way better than PSP / NDS / GP2X / Pandora if you're outside.

Last edited:
Well the sun just decided to appear so I ran outside to check and yes you can see the screen but it isn't easy to see in bright sunlight. If you can find a little shade though I think it would be okay, certainly easier to see than the GP2X screen.

ruckage said:
Well the sun just decided to appear so I ran outside to check and yes you can see the screen but it isn't easy to see in bright sunlight. If you can find a little shade though I think it would be okay, certainly easier to see than the GP2X screen.
Yep. The shadow of my head has been enough to see fairly well, yes :D

Last edited:
That sounds promising, A little shade can be find anywhere, Just wear a big Hat, Or turn my back to the Sun.
Thnx for the info Guys, and for testing Ruckage.

nubie said:
If you are so poor you can only get the wiz, don't get one.
And this is why the internet should have training wheels.

Edit: OK, that's a little harsh :p But I think you're stepping into evangelical territory. Don't look at it as someone can't afford the system, but that in the absence of unlimited funds, people have to choose how valuable something is to them. I can see someone justifying spending $180 but not $330. Doesn't mean they're destitute. Plus, your statement isn't logical...if you can afford something, don't buy it since you won't be able to afford it?

nubie said:
If it is a little more quality and a lot more power with more than 4 times the resolution and twice the storage capacity with wireless, then the choice is pretty clear.
Not everyone has a checklist of features they're trying to hit. Size might be the motivating factor for some people. Or the lack (yes lack) of a keyboard. Or the fact that the majority of what they'll play will fit the Wiz screen better. Things other than raw specs. Or they'd like to avoid paying for features they're not going to use. I don't know personally if I'm going to for one or zero of these handhelds, but I could easily see why someone would go for the Wiz. Especially if the USB isn't crippled.

IMO the Pandora is a better value in terms of the hardware you're getting, but if you're not going to use the extra power or features, then that value disappears.

Jaylink said:
A little shade can be find anywhere, Just wear a big Hat, Or turn my back to the Sun.

Or put on sun glasses. B) :lol:

I think the readability on sun is quite important for handheld. Shame Pandora's display isn't OLED too (expensive, I know...).
BTW are there any back+fron-lit displays?

Hehehehe, Seems i Need that one to :D
Is it that good, The old gp32 Flu screen.
Can you play it with ease, how much beter then the Gp2x screen ?
Damnzz I've got to make lots of Extra Hours for 3 systems now :)

Jaylink said:
Hehehehe, Seems i Need that one to :D
Is it that good, The old gp32 Flu screen.
Can you play it with ease, how much beter then the Gp2x screen ?
Damnzz I've got to make lots of Extra Hours for 3 systems now :)
In sunlight yes because they use a reflective LCD screen so the more light the better.

Squidge said:
I've no idea about either, but OLED should be pretty decent in sunlight (from what I've read).
Neither backlit LCD or OLED are transreflective so viewing in sunlight will be pretty close between them, and not too good. The winner there will just come down to which is brightest.

Transreflective LCDs like those used in PDAs are best for sunlight viewing. Neither the GP2X or wiz are transreflective.
fishybawb said:

Do you not think that site's a little biased towards OLEDs deteriorating quickly seeing as they're trying to advertise their own "ageless" technology? That's like proving iPods are better than other media players by linking to an Apple marketing page.

That "ageless" technology is probably just something that lowers the red and green subpixel intensity based on use time to eliminate the color shift and only produce loss of brightness (middle picture).
I just picked that site because they had a nice synopsis of the issues with current OLEDs, simple with pics etc. Most sites that discuss this have 5-page treatises on it getting into chemistry and molecular compositions but say basically the same thing.

For the wiz someone will probably have to write an app that displays a yellow screen. You would leave it on for a few days to dim down the red and green to match the faded blue elements.
rokdcasbah said:
Or the fact that the majority of what they'll play will fit the Wiz screen better. Things other than raw specs.

IMO the Pandora is a better value in terms of the hardware you're getting, but if you're not going to use the extra power or features, then that value disappears.
There is nothing that fits the wiz screen better than the Pandora. You can display a 320 x 240 emu screen on the Pandora by simply doubling to 640 x 480. The ratio is then the same, and the image is MUCH bigger than it will be on the wee wiz screen. The Pandora is also not that much more money but does a whole lot more. Plus that power will enable it to emulate more systems faster.

DaveC said:
Squidge said:
Neither backlit LCD or OLED are transreflective so viewing in sunlight will be pretty close between them, and not too good. The winner there will just come down to which is brightest.

Transreflective LCDs like those used in PDAs are best for sunlight viewing. Neither the GP2X or wiz are transreflective.
fishybawb said:

Do you not think that site's a little biased towards OLEDs deteriorating quickly seeing as they're trying to advertise their own "ageless" technology? That's like proving iPods are better than other media players by linking to an Apple marketing page.

That "ageless" technology is probably just something that lowers the red and green subpixel intensity based on use time to eliminate the color shift and only produce loss of brightness (middle picture).
I just picked that site because they had a nice synopsis of the issues with current OLEDs, simple with pics etc. Most sites that discuss this have 5-page treatises on it getting into chemistry and molecular compositions but say basically the same thing.

For the wiz someone will probably have to write an app that displays a yellow screen. You would leave it on for a few days to dim down the red and green to match the faded blue elements.
rokdcasbah said:
Or the fact that the majority of what they'll play will fit the Wiz screen better. Things other than raw specs.

There is nothing that fits the wiz screen better than the Pandora. You can display a 320 x 240 emu screen on the Pandora by simply doubling to 640 x 480. The ratio is then the same, and the image is MUCH bigger than it will be on the wee wiz screen. The Pandora is also not that much more money but does a whole lot more. Plus that power will enable it to emulate more systems faster.

That did not counter his argument that some people don't need the extra power. What if some people only want genesis emulators? 320x240 is perfectly fine. Also, pixel doubling does not make a 320x240 system look any better. They look the same unless fileters are added.

I say, bring back the BLU screen!

That was a good size and brightness. (the PSP-3000 screen might be nice.. the PSP screens are good, but a little over-ghosty; but their size is sweet, barring the widescreen aspect DaveC hates.)

2.8 is a little small imho..

PDAs and iphone and so on have nailed screen sizing for a long trime, but they're going for ultra portable here, somethign that fits in your pocket alongside your phone :p

jeff

The BLU screen was and is legendary. My BLU has had very little use, 30 hours at most :S.

Edit:I keep my blu in a big yellow pikachu with a pouch inside that was originally designed for gameboys...

:angry: Just seen the price on the Wiz... only bought my F200 a couple of months back and paid nearly that price... well £100... :lol:

So should have waited... I thought the Wiz was going to be about £200 or something, guess no one knew it was coming out though. I think Ill wait for the pandora now though instead of upgrading for the little extra power the wiz gives. Ha ha nevermind... :lol:

Back