Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

Uukrul said:
Well, the Wiz has an incredible advantage over the Pandora: it's DaveC free!!! :lol:
I've had some stoushes with DaveC in the past, but think about what you're saying. Without DaveC, the Mk1 GP2X stick may not have been fixed (rotated for proper diagonal bias), and may not have had a Dpad (his popular mod).

For myself, I don't really care if the screen dies in even 5 years, not an issue to me. Nor do I care about the 2.5" headphones. I would however prefer a slightly bigger screen, and I've yet to hear anyone actually praise the controls, so those would be my sticking points, as well as the price (which really isn't bad, but too much for a whim purchase for me).

It seems to me, this would be a nice companion to the Pandora, in a similar way that the GBA Micro sat proudly alongside the DS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R said:
DaveC also has a prejudice against anything non 4:3 or smaller than 3.5".
Heh, I'm with you on those comments. But the most pathetic thing about his own complaints are that they probably won't be enough to stop him from buying one anyway.

Doesn't JXD 301 have an OLED screen? How have they been holding up?

GPH probably chose OLED for the same reason JXD 301 did, because it's what was readily available for a low price in the form factor. Hostility aside I agree that the design of the Wiz DOES bear a lot in common with various Chinese PMPs. The smaller size, overall shape/color, screen, "unconventional" controls that look more "lazy" to me. Not that this is a bad thing (okay, except the dual dpad part).

I don't think they were trying to be innovative with the dual dpad. I think they made a massive mistake with it.

tkeely4777 said:
But the most pathetic thing about his own complaints are that they probably won't be enough to stop him from buying one anyway.
Why would he buy one if he thinks the Pandora can do everything the Wiz can but better, and he's going to get a Pandora anyway? It's not like the Wiz is going to get a lot of homebrew Pandora won't - okay it'll get some commercial games, but it's going to take a lot of good ones before people think it'll be worth buying it for that reason.

DaveC said:
The small screen may not be an issue for you, but it will be for many. I mean 2.8" ? a good size? Come on.

Don't see the problem with the size of the Wiz's screen. It's pretty much the same size as the screen on the GBA, GBA SP, DS, JXD-301...

trooper said:
The JXD 301 has a LTPS TFT (Low Temperature Polysilicon Thin Film Transistor) screen, Not an OLED screen, And mines holding up great thank you. :D

Trooper
Oh okay, my mistake. Guess I confused the two technologies.

Deffo had a LTPS according to all the specs I ever read. MP4 Nation did a video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRv7oJWTzS0 he also said it is a LTPS

The 301 had a great, sharp, little screen with impressive viewing angles.
An OLED can only be better.
So its all good provided 2.8 is big enough for my humble needs, which it most likely is.

Metalwario64 said:
tkeely4777 said:
If you don't like the way they're doing things, then GO OUT AND MAKE YOUR OWN BLOODY PORTABLE!
I hate it when people say things like this. You don't need to be able to make a game system to criticize one. That would be like saying "If you don't like this game, then make a better one!"; You don't need to be an expert game designer to say a game sucks.

yeah, you need only to be freaking stupid.

Really, you SHOULD always know what are you talking about when you criticize something saying "it sucks", a lot of people can't just understand how much work is behind something and they just like to throw shit on it, without any knowledge on what they are talking about...

You don't need to be an expert to say "it sucks" talking about other people work, only stupid

Firefox said:
DaveC said:
The small screen may not be an issue for you, but it will be for many. I mean 2.8" ? a good size? Come on.

Don't see the problem with the size of the Wiz's screen. It's pretty much the same size as the screen on the GBA, GBA SP, DS, JXD-301...

Well I hated the screen size on GBA, GBA SP, DS, JXD-301. I always thought it was too small. Then when you run an emu and it is letterboxed then it is even smaller yet. I hate the scaling artifacts so stretching to make it fill the screen just adds another thing ruin it. This whole thing is a compromise. I don't see why we are so happy to get less.

I guess you have really good eyes. You will need them for this.

DaveC said:
Well I hated the screen size on GBA, GBA SP, DS, JXD-301. I always thought it was too small. Then when you run an emu and it is letterboxed then it is even smaller yet. I hate the scaling artifacts so stretching to make it fill the screen just adds another thing ruin it. This whole thing is a compromise. I don't see why we are so happy to get less.

Well one things for sure, you really aren't happy with the Wiz based on what you want, and that's fine, everyone can have an opinion. However you need to remember you don't speak for everyone here and the wiz is more or less exactly what many people do want from a handheld. The resolution suits most systems very well as far as emulation is concerned and was always one of the benefits of the GP2X, and although you think the screen is too small I don't and nor will many other users. Also if the screen was bigger you would need to increase the size of the whole system and the compact size is one of its benefits - it really does fit in a pocket.

It really does seem now that you a slamming the system for the sake of it which isn't helpful to anyone, it's not for you so leave it at that. I personally think that both of the new consoles are great news for the scene and hope that both are successful and in an ideal world I'd have both.

DaveC said:

I dunno. I much prefer my Gameboy Micro's screen to my SP's screen. The Micro's is only 2", but I find it a lot easier to see what's going on because it's so much brighter and sharper.

ruckage said:
Also if the screen was bigger you would need to increase the size of the whole system and the compact size is one of its benefits - it really does fit in a pocket.
Well you wouldn't need to increase the size that much if you know what you are doing. The iPhone is smaller than a Wiz and it has a 3.5" screen. If you look at the Wiz you see a big border around the screen. Instead of having that it should fill out the area more. If you had to increase the length by 4 or 5 mm that wouldn't hurt anyone.

It just seems like they are comming out with something new but they are taking away the screen area. So now we have LESS than we had before. I was always used to the idea that when a newer version of something comes out it is better and improved, not worse, as is the case with the screen size. When you get used to something it is hard to give it up.

Firefox said:
[I dunno. I much prefer my Gameboy Micro's screen to my SP's screen. The Micro's is only 2", but I find it a lot easier to see what's going on because it's so much brighter and sharper.
I can kind of see that since the SP is frontlit and is very washed out. The Micro is backlit so it looks much better with better color. But in comparing similar screens I will take bigger anyday.

I dont' want to get in on all the fighting, but..

DaveC -- are you going by spec or experience?

I can weigh in on OLEDs to some extent -- you have to user them HEAVY before any problems come in, but as in all things, it depends on the properties of the given display, the ,manufactuer and all that.

OLED screens on PDAs have been around a long time, and they held up REALLY WELL. PDAs that also had menu bars and such in the same place, all the time. Years later... no burn in, no blotch.

As I understand it, you can run one for a few hours a day ervery day and get blotch after a few months; at the subpixel level. After working a given subpixel over for several thousand hours.

Now, I don't know anythign if they fade over time all on their own or if its usage based, but IIRC its usage based.. and thus for most people, nothing noticable will happen for a great long time, probably long after they'd have stopped using it.

However, your comments about uneven fading is very intgeresting, I'd never heard that. But perhaps its the same boat.. something most would not notice, since the device longsinceunused before then.

(AS we all know, you're the exception; you notice everything, because you have spiderman eyes. We must use your powers for good, but be careful not to let you over-blow things on occasion :)

jeff

skeezix said:
(AS we all know, you're the exception; you notice everything, because you have spiderman eyes. We must use your powers for good, but be careful not to let you over-blow things on occasion :)
Are you sure? DaveC is the only person complaining about the screen being so small. It sounds to me like it is much more likely that he has OAP eyes?

DaveC said:
Orkie said:
DaveC said:
Ever play an arcade game that does have static game screens for a long time? Ever see a game with a high score, game score, or HUD remain unchanged while you play? This will leave permanent image burn-in.
Yeah, I've seen that in arcades. Arcades that have their games on for 12 hours a day. For months and months on end.

I was referring to the fact that if you play arcade games on the wiz with static screens you will get burn in. OLED screens burn in MUCH faster than CRTs. He said that it is not like you will leave it on stuck on the same image for awhile like a TV and I was saying that arcade games (like when playing them through an emulator on the wiz) Do have static images.

tkeely4777 said:
Wow, DaveC. I'm surprised it took this long into the conversation for you to rear your trolling head out of the water.
Why do you always have to focus on the negative, completely ignore the positive, and beat people over the head with your thoughts and ideas like they're gospel truths? If you don't like the way they're doing things, then GO OUT AND MAKE YOUR OWN BLOODY PORTABLE!
Wow, tkeely4777. I'm surprised it took this long into the conversation for you to say something stupid.

It won't take 3 years of use for the colors to shift on an OLED it DOES IT RIGHT AWAY. In fact it will lose MORE of its brightness *in the beginning* leading to image burn-in. Plasmas do this as well as projection TVs. That is why all of those burn-in sensitive displays suggest not displaying static images without a "seasoning" period. Do your research before making attacks.

"GO OUT AND MAKE YOUR OWN BLOODY PORTABLE!"

So you are supposed to just accept something even if it is bad just because you can't make your own? That is totally retarded "logic" but what else should we expect from you.

I guess if you buy a car that falls apart after a week and runs like shit you are just supposed to except it because you can't build your own car? You are an idiot.

Just to clarify, CRT based Rear projection burns in, not LCD or DLP or Laser DLP rear projection, and I am pretty sure nobody has been making CRT rear projection for a couple years, if not 10 years.

Meh, I wouldn't pay more than $150 for the Wiz, and I wouldn't expect it to last forever anyway.

If you are so poor you can only get the wiz, don't get one.

If you want to buy one now and can afford to lose $50 get a wiz now and sell it when the Pandora comes out.

Basically the specs are the specs and if you have need of stuff the pandora has you had better just get one.

If you took a GP2X or a Wiz and tried to turn it into the Pandora it would cost you much more than the price difference.

Conversely the Pandora is obviously a bit bigger and you can't shrink it. I figure it isn't that much bigger and the screen controls and battery life are pretty good trade-offs in my book.

Dave is entitled to his opinion, however rational it is. He has been like this for the last 2 years and won't change because you are here. He does have some very good ideas though, so don't just dismiss him.

Before you decide to purchase one you should decide what you actually want in a handheld, if it is a cheap gaming machine then the Wiz will probably be fine.

If it is a little more quality and a lot more power with more than 4 times the resolution and twice the storage capacity with wireless, then the choice is pretty clear.

nubie said:
I'm not poor but there is no way I'm paying 250€ for a portable console. Just my 2c.

Uukrul said:
nubie said:
I'm not poor but there is no way I'm paying 250€ for a portable console. Just my 2c.

In that case you are a person who wants a video game handheld, not the more powerful and useful mini PC.

Buy the Wiz then.

I really don't play so much as I enjoy using programs and stuff, so a game handheld is not a good choice for me. Plus the bigger screen and more storage + wifi make it a better media player.

Back