Gpengine The Official Word - Anyone Know?

DaveC

Internal Development
One of the best emulators for the GP32 is definetly the GPengine emu. It is sooo close and yet there are a few things from making it perfect, it is almost a tease. There are a few bugs making sprites not show, the graphics will turn glitchy in a few games, backgrounds are missing in a few games, and of course no savestates, or supergrafx support. Even the GBA PCengine emu has more features,is more complete, and is updated regularly. Lucky bastards. There have been a few attempts by known coders to request source code with no avail. Is there any official word on whether GPengine is officially dead? If so what happened to the source? If not, is there any idea when it may see an update? Are there any other coders that may be working on a PCengine emu?

Whenever either Giffel or Black surface for a while, they always say it isn't dead. Personally, though, I doubt we'll see another release before fPCE32 is at least as good as it but with saves...

Tobriand posted on Oct 12 2004 at 07:39 PM said:
Whenever either Giffel or Black surface for a while, they always say it isn't dead. Personally, though, I doubt we'll see another release before fPCE32 is at least as good as it but with saves...

Not to be rude to them as they gave us a great emu, but at this point I wish they would "shit or get off the pot". If they don't want to do it anymore that is fine they don't owe us anything but I don't know why they won't reply to e-mails requesting source code, or tell anyone what is going on. Especially since FluBBa has even requested the source to look at and even fix the bugs, add saves etc, but got no response :( I can only imagine how great this emu would be if FluBBA got his mitts on it, you know how great his GBA stuff is.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Oct 13 2004 at 03:11 AM said:
Tobriand posted on Oct 12 2004 at 07:39 PM said:

Not to be rude to them as they gave us a great emu, but at this point I wish they would "shit or get off the pot". If they don't want to do it anymore that is fine they don't owe us anything but I don't know why they won't reply to e-mails requesting source code, or tell anyone what is going on. Especially since FluBBa has even requested the source to look at and even fix the bugs, add saves etc, but got no response :( I can only imagine how great this emu would be if FluBBA got his mitts on it, you know how great his GBA stuff is.

As far as I remember (I might be wrong..again) there is no "recent enough" source to give out due HD crash whatever happened back then.

that sux about the source being lost. :\
was playing some pcengine games earlier and save staves would be hot.

but the author could just have replied that the sourcecode was gone? :p

I wonder if they arnt just hoping to rebuild fro the ground up and then make a huge announcment someday... unfortunatly I get the feeling they may ask for money for it, it seems the best PCE emulators are either just short of perfect or you have to pay to use them (magic engine, anyone?).

I think the PCE is just cursed.

Wow... I'm getting a GP32 again after over a year and GPEngine was still never updated? That's really too bad. Awful to hear they lost the source code.

From what I recall all it needed was slightly better compatability, save states and autofire. Would've been perfection. Oh well. :unsure:

Here's hoping rlyeh can do the trick with fpce32.

It is sad, and I am very pissed about it.
Well didn't Rlyeh say he would have all of his emulators done by christmas

It's getting close.

so how good is PCEAdvance (GBA version) by comparison? last I saw (couple yrs ago) it was a veyr early version and nearly unplayable. it's not actually better than GPEngine by now is it? Specifically, how is the speed/compatibility?

so how good is PCEAdvance (GBA version) by comparison? last I saw (couple yrs ago) it was a veyr early version and nearly unplayable. it's not actually better than GPEngine by now is it? Specifically, how is the speed/compatibility?

Never used any GBA emus. The fact that the GBA has too low of a screen resolution though means that it is missing some graphics meh.

Compatibility: All but 3 hucard games work completly, 3 more with real graphical problems. Some CD-Rom games also work like "Ys - Book 1 & 2", "Rayxanber II" & "Spriggan" (No Super CD-Rom yet though).

Speed: Varies between games, most games run at between 30-100%, fs0.
Sound: Upcoming version has a new 6ch stereo mixer, GBA still only has 8bit output though.

Compatibility: All but 3 hucard games work completly, 3 more with real graphical problems. Some CD-Rom games also work like "Ys - Book 1 & 2", "Rayxanber II" & "Spriggan" (No Super CD-Rom yet though).

Speed: Varies between games, most games run at between 30-100%, fs0.
Sound: Upcoming version has a new 6ch stereo mixer, GBA still only has 8bit output though.

Would it be possible for someone to port this to the GP32 or does it rely on the GBA hardware too much?

Would it be possible for someone to port this to the GP32 or does it rely on the GBA hardware too much?

The graphics is all emulated in GBA hardware, but the CPU and now the soundmixer should be quite usefull if someone is writing a GP32 version.

Have you ever messed with coding on the GP32? Your stuff rox on the GBA, it would be awesome to have a port/remake of it on the GP32. It would look real nice on the large backlit screen.

Cheers

Rlyeh is working on fZX right now, then Im guessing hell turn his attention to fMAME and fGen. Still, fPCE will come eventually else I wouldnt have done this!
fPCEscreen.gif

No, I haven't tried doing anything for the GP32 yet and I don't think it will happen anytime soon...
DS coming out now, still too many ideas and too little time for the GBA B)
But I really hope someone finds the source usefull and inspiring when they do stuff on the GP32.

Back