Newbie Question

silverghost

Still Fresh
Sorry, but this is probably a stupid question.

I have downloaded a version of PCEngine, and it have placed the GPEngine.fxe into the gpmm directory. When I start up my GP32, I can start PCEngine, and it looks great, but cannot load any games.

My question is, what types of Roms should I use, I have quite a few here (mame roms I think), and it mentions on the website http://www.gp32x.de/gpengine/ that I can just place the zip files in the GP:/gpmm/gpengine folder and they should be shown in the file selector.

Unfortunately, no files are shown, I have tried putting ZIP and BIN files in the folder, but none of them show up. Should I be using a particular type of Rom

Thanks

ps, is there anywhere on the net that i can get hold of the roms, as I would love to play R-type and Bomberman again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right - firstly, they have to be PCengine (or Turbografx16) ROMS. You CAN get them on the net (just like you can get most stuff if you look hard enough), though it is of course illegal unless you own the rom itself. It is up to you what you do of course, but you have to bear in mind it's against the law.

If you have the roms (usually supplied as zipped .PCE files), just bung them in the right folder (GPMM\Gpengine I think), and the emulator should see them.

Good luck (you MUST get this Emu working - it's one of the amin reasons for owning a GP32!).

Cheers

Thank you very much for that, I have got Bomberman working.

I agree with another post that I read, that there should be a newbie guide somewhere, when I get a chance, I will get something together and post it, as I have had lots of problems getting my GP32 up and running, and I am sure that a few people could learn from my mistakes.

Well... I'm in the provess of putting together a new GP32 site, and getting each emu up and running is one of the main things I want to get on there to start with, as it seems to be one of the biggest bugbears for people on this board. I you're interested in contributing, just let me know (email or Private Message me if you want).

Well, just pretty good to know for emulator newbies:

Always use the roms for the system you're emulating.

E.g. you can't run any NES games with a gameboy emulator. And you cannot run any MAME (Multiple Arcade machine emulator) Roms with a PC-Engine emulator.
If you keep this in mind, you don't have to go mad again ;)

And usually, there are no stupid questions... only stupid answers :)

Back