How fast is GPengine?

Nutzo

Don't yet own a GP32, thinking about it.

I love PCE/TG-16 games, in fact I still have some plus a TurboExpress but the sound died. :( Oh well.

Anyway, here's the real question - how fast and accurate is GPengine?

I've read it's "full speed" but that doesn't tell the full story. Do you have to use frame skipping to get full speed? If so, how many FPS are we talking about with sound? Do some games require more frame skipping than others, or is it the same overall? Lotsa fast action games for PCE, and frame skipping would kinda suck...

Lastly, is the compatibility very high? And do savestates work?

Thanks for any answers. If I get a GP32 it will be one of the new ones with the light inside. :)

It's 100% normal state no this and that on speed. with sounds.

Compatibility is high, but not 100%. Of course there will be new versions to correct this.

it's truely a dream come true.. i just messed with it first time last night.
speed seems completely spot-on, and everything looks and plays perfect (that i have tested). No supergrafx yet.

it appears to have save states but i've not touched them yet. also the sound is good in most cases (i've tried) but a little tiny bit funky in a couple games and just funky/bad in legendary axe (awww)

but who cares. I bought GP32 for this emu alone! and it was worth it..!

Almost every game that runs seems to run perfectly. It was my main reason, at first, for getting a GP32. I play r-type, bonk and others with full sound, full frame rate.

It's cool :D

i think the default frameskip is set to '1', giving 30 fps? anyway it PLAYS like its full speed, and thats good enough for me :)

If you use a character that flashes (so sometimes in fighters) then you miss it sometimes due to odd number of frames being skipped... but other than that, you won't notice it; it is smooth as hell to play :).

Save-state ISN'T in there yet, but with a bit of luck will be some day relatively soon (I hope)

R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type R-Type ........

:D

Only had my GP32 for two days but it's mainly got some PCE game loaded up... that or C64 or Speccy, or SMS or NES...... :blink:

Seriously it is an amazing emulator and a real jaw-dropping experience when you first load up a PCE game....

the simple thing is even if there are speed issues (which there isnt) the larger screen on the GP32 makes games much more playable than on the turbo express's tiny screen. If you have ever played super star soldier or twin cobra on the turbo express you will know what i mean !!!!

Why do I feel a bit left out here... i'm trying to play Bonk 3 and the speeds are pretty slow - not syper slow, but not full speed. Why is that? Actually with a bunch of games it's about the same speed...

I will put the GPEmulator on my list of emulators to make "in game movies" of. Maybe ... Thursday night.

Flack

R-type is my most played game on GPengine. Is one of the best games ever made IMHO. Damned hard - but that's what makes it soooooo satifying. Need a save-state option though!

Hmm... it's always a double-edged sword with these save states.

On one side I would love to have them, since I usually play a game for short
time periods, for example on the train, and I find myself constantly playing
the same first levels of some games. On the other site I know, that if there
was a saving option, I couldn't help constantly using it, destroying most of
the fun a tough game like R-type brings. I remember playing this game over
and over again for hours when I was, like, 10 years old, and nowadays I can't
believe that I really managed to finish this game at that age. I'd like to do it
again, and using save states would just be cheating...

Back