GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Not really smooth, or maybe if you are half asleep

Well, playable at least.
But I think that will be the major issue of the GPD Win: There will be people expecting it to run current games smoothly, which just won't happen.
Same on PGS Kickstarter: "Does it run GTAV / Witcher 3"?

The GPD Win will be a really nice device for older or less-demanding (Indie titles, e.g.) games, but not for current ones.

My asus transformer book tablet can play WoW fairly well when not trying to raid or whatever. I'd be happy with that in a handheld.

So a Chinese GPD WIN tester got his prototype test unit and posted some pics. Apparently it took 15 seconds to boot up. See below:

iH63mg3.jpg

Hrfvegq.jpg

xkqcQFA.jpg

Qgk8VpJ.jpg

HAvFeqI.jpg

hCK9JbF.jpg

nu6xEqQ.jpg

w7U35KW.jpg

1g0ZVSR.jpg

WXvJ6kq.jpg

Yqw4DBy.jpg

[doublepost=1467972270,1467970081][/doublepost]In bigger news, GPD just announced the following, looks like the WIN will end up with a Z8700/Z8750 instead of the Z8500

"Players, Hello, everyone, this release is an important update, after engineers time to test, we found that Atom x7-8700 all aspects of performance and power consumption compared to Atom x5-8500 to enhance many, it was decided to GPDWIN original x5-8500 processor upgrade for the 8700-8750 processor, if the amount of production time, 8750 to find stable sources of supply, we will directly use the 8750 chip, on the contrary, the use of 8700 chips. This statement is being issued, thank you support."

Looks like the gaming performance won't be that bad compared to my 8 year old desktop... Not bad, I was expecting less than that.

Here's the Indiegogo update regarding the Z8700/Z8750 upgrade announcement:

"
Dear Backer:

This is a really good news.

As the Intel was canceled Atom series chip,The next generation is Apollo lake,
Performance will be optimized, but the power consumption should be more heavy.We think this series chip will no longer suitable for portable devices.
So we may probably stop the GPD WIN 2.....

And we really hope can make the first generation products to be the best one. Also after multiple performance contrast,We found the performance of Z8700 is much improved compared to the Z8500.

So as many backers expect,we final decided to update the Z8550 into Z8700-Z8750. When mass production,If we can find a suitable supply for Z8750, we will use Z8750.If not,we will use Z8700.

It must be a really good news for your guys.right?

Really thanks for your support again!! "

Looks like the gaming performance won't be that bad compared to my 8 year old desktop... Not bad, I was expecting less than that.
I wonder how the battery life is and for how long it can deliver this kind of performance until it gets too hot and throttles down.

Mind you , tests to date have been on a GPD WIN test unit with a X5-Z8500 SOC. They have now changed to using the X7-Z8700/Z8750. So tests to date will have to be redone once the final machine comes out.

Unfortunately, I'm hearing test units that will be shipped, may still have the Z8500 in them as they have been made already. Sigh - Willburn knows why :(

Last edited:
Damn, if it's the case, I think I'll just buy a GPD win, even with all the drawback.

I really hope that this doesn't influence the development of the x86 Pyra module.
Was there even plans for an x86 Pyra module? My guess Intel dumping the Atom line would be a bigger influence.

Was there even plans for an x86 Pyra module? My guess Intel dumping the Atom line would be a bigger influence.

Let's see what AMD and their new Zen architecture bring us in form of APUs next year.

And yeah, the SOC update and the news about the tested Ubuntu may have just given me the last push to preorder a GPD Win too (depending on the price ED gives us, the Pyra is already quite hefty...)

The cherry trail atoms are 2W parts, and as we're seeing with the GPD win, that's pretty much the limit for power consumption and heat dissipation that you can manage in a pocketable device. AMD's most efficient mobile SoCs are currently about double that. It's going to take a miracle for them to get down to the 2W neighborhood where they would need to be for an AMD-based pyra to be a possibility.

I think AMD understood they cant be second-best in something intel failed to do, despite throwing money into that hole with both hands. They do have ARM-chips though.

According to http://www.anandtech.com/show/10288/intel-broxton-sofia-smartphone-socs-cancelled
The lower-end parts are canceled, along with LTE efforts.
It is interesting that both the Pyra and Win operate with parts their makers deem they cant be in the market of selling going forwards.

That is probably because the big ARM vendors are so utterly dominant, though it is interesting to see this form-factor has enough merit to make it anyhow.

I think as I said a long while back, there are way to many players in the market. It was inevitable that there would be casualties. My guess is Nvidia is next - already happening really.

Back