GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Well I'm hearing that the GPD WIN will be available ahead of schedule. There is a retailer saying they will have stock next month. But take all that with a large grain of salt.

I'll still keep their original schedule for the time being, that being October. A little earlier for Chinese backers (Sept)

This has probably been asked before but do you plan on selling GPD Win's in your shop ED?
I'd prefer buying from you since a) I'm based in germany and b) I really appreciate that you do quality assurance with you products before you send them out.

This has probably been asked before but do you plan on selling GPD Win's in your shop ED?
I'd prefer buying from you since a) I'm based in germany and b) I really appreciate that you do quality assurance with you products before you send them out.

Yes, and we will also start with the Preorders in July.

There is a retailer saying they will have stock next month.

Definitely not. They only had the first 5 (almost certainly hand-built) prototypes done a couple days ago. There's no way they can do all the testing that needs to be done, make adjustments to fix the problems they will surely find, tool up for production, acquire components, manufacture, box and ship finished units by the end of next month. Even the planned October ship date is fast for all the things that need to happen, but at least it's realistically fast.

No, that was only the Indiegogo price. The preorder price for distributors is around 330 EUR AFAIR.

No, that was only the Indiegogo price. The preorder price for distributors is around 330 EUR AFAIR.

Ok. I just thought it would be something similar since the geekbuying price for example is the direct conversion from 330 Dollars to Euros, which is currently roughly 305 Euros on their webpage.

Well, the problem with USD prices are: If you do a direct conversion, you're missing bank fees, customs fees (for the import), higher shipping costs from the manufacturer to the distributor and additional costs like WEEE, etc. that are needed in Europe.
Also, the overall costs for running a company in Germany are a lot higher.

Usually, if I charge 330EUR for a product you can buy for 330USD somewhere else, my profit is still less...

It's sad, but that's how it works :(

Definitely not. They only had the first 5 (almost certainly hand-built) prototypes done a couple days ago. There's no way they can do all the testing that needs to be done, make adjustments to fix the problems they will surely find, tool up for production, acquire components, manufacture, box and ship finished units by the end of next month. Even the planned October ship date is fast for all the things that need to happen, but at least it's realistically fast.

Well, as I said, I'm skeptical, that said, there is some truth in it. The delivery date to chinese crowdfunding backers (JD.com), is Sept 15th. ie they will get theirs before Indiegogo backers. . This means GPD would have produced them by the end of August. The thing here is that the retailers that are saying they will get a first batch of stock are in china also, so it's feasible they will be sent stock at the end of August. Mind you, as a westerner, you wouldn't get it until probably Oct anyway. Free shipping is slow as.

I'm not sure what changes they will make from testers reviews. It may be more for marketing purposes. Remember they only went to people with social reach (youtube channels etc) and it's expected we will do online reviews of the units. I suspect unless the thing blows up or minor and quick to fix changes are identified, then their wont be much changes. It's probably no secret that I was promised a test unit. So I'll let you know what it's like if I get one :)

Last edited:
Please seriously test the keyboard. If it is practical for real typing many of us were wrong, and it would be good to know that. Maybe you could type your review up on it. :)

Well, as I said, I'm skeptical, that said, there is some truth in it. The delivery date to chinese crowdfunding backers (JD.com), is Sept 15th. ie they will get theirs before Indiegogo backers. . This means GPD would have produced them by the end of August. The thing here is that the retailers that are saying they will get a first batch of stock are in china also, so it's feasible they will be sent stock at the end of August. Mind you, as a westerner, you wouldn't get it until probably Oct anyway. Free shipping is slow as.

I'm not sure what changes they will make from testers reviews. It may be more for marketing purposes. Remember they only went to people with social reach (youtube channels etc) and it's expected we will do online reviews of the units. I suspect unless the thing blows up or minor and quick to fix changes are identified, then their wont be much changes. It's probably no secret that I was promised a test unit. So I'll let you know what it's like if I get one :)

Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing a proper stress test from you where you push the CPU/GPU to the max to test thermal throttling as this is my main concern right now for this device.

Now I remember why I didn't want to mention that I may be getting a test unit. I figured then this would happen :p

Fortunately keyboard and stress tests are those that I had planned to hopefully do.

I may actually team up with one of the other testers. Who's also a member here, they have a steam libarary that's ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm not going to count chickens until if I actually get the thing.

Ignore our requests. It would be nice if you shared your thoughts and experiences, and maybe answered questions.

Interesting side note, it seems GPD and many fans are of the same mind as people here in regards to the PGS. Pretty much a mirror discussion happening on their GPD chinese offiicial forum.

Some people saying hey , look at this PGS, its better an cheaper , while the majority are saying what we have been saying.

By the way, small update on indiegogo regarding heat measurement on the GPD Win.
Unfortunately they only measured while playing "Online video" via Wifi.
Obviously playing games would generate a lot more heat, so it would be a more interesting scenario to measure the temperature while a game is running on the device...
Nevertheless it's good to see some initial measurements.

xeyk9n8plrzyr1utdjxl.png

wcosndlao1ye2svzyyyr.png

Hmm,

I like the infrared heat measuring gun they show, I was thinking of getting one, reminds me to check how much they are. I will need to look into SOC temp apps also.

Well, that's nothing special. When I do simple things on the Pyra, it also is between 32 - 35°C.

A stresstest on the CPU (all cores to 100%) is the interesting part. I know the SoC can externally reach 85°C, I have not measured the outside case though.
It never got that hot that I couldn't touch it anymore though.

Back