GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Many? Can you give a good example model? I'm curious, I do a lot of this type of thing for my job and I've not once ran across a single model I couldn't rip out the default OS and sideload our custom made one into.

Most of the time the UEFI is looking for a EFI compliant binary in the first partition of whatever mass storeage as the boot loader. Normally in a directory named boot or efi or some combination of the two

EDIT: I think I know what your saying, dual booting Windows doesn't play well with Linux in a UEFI setup? This I don't know for certain. We only load a single OS as a replacement. Sometimes Windows, sometimes Linux depending on the customer.

Edit2: Windows does have a hidden partition for its EFI boot loader, possibly that is a problem you ran into?

Last edited:
Well, it is explained also in the Debian Wiki
Some implementations ignore the boot order altogether, some filter it and will only run things that claim to be "Windows", etc. See below for tips on how to work around some of the known bugs in broken UEFI implementations.
and also in some of the "InstallingDebianOn" guides, still in the wiki...

Oh, seems like newer informations appeared after my last read, seems like at Debian they found a "dirty" workaround, installing it as a removable device, leaving alone the main Windows boot configuration: https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#Force_grub-efi_installation_to_the_removable_media_path

EDIT: also, yes, I was speaking about dualbooting

Does not change the past. ;) Anf for the future, if GPD is capable to learn, they may improve their QC. Stil la risky area when dealing with chinese companies but let's hope the best.

I think you didn't understand me.
A bunch of guys who try to achieve something with not that much experience will almost never achieve a high quality on first try.

Whereas a company like GPD, with a high amount of money AND experience shouldn't have quality issues like that.

You should not compare a few guys to a huge company.

By the way, what's the retail price of the OMAP5? I have no comparison there.

Over twice the price.

There are some advanced stuff you can do with UEFI like installing custom extensions for specific OS's but I've never dug too deep into that, nor have I needed to. But either way, I have extremely high confidence the nut will be cracked here.

Against my better judgement, I preordered one of these. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Also: hi everyone. I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I bought a 1GHz Pandora a few years ago, and have been eagerly waiting for the Pyra.

I don't have much faith in what CPU monkey claims as specs and prices. I have mentioned this before, their page lists SDP as TDP, the price link goes to a accelerator card listing on Amazon. So yeah, not much confidence in the price they list.

The only accurate pricing I can see for the Z8500 is $27 as it's listed on Intels site: http://ark.intel.com/products/85474/Intel-Atom-x5-Z8500-Processor-2M-Cache-up-to-2_24-GHz

I presume the Z8550 will be the same price as it replaces the Z8500 to fix graphics issues with it.

Interesting to hear the OMAP5 costs over twice as much as $23 .

Whereas a company like GPD, with a high amount of money AND experience shouldn't have quality issues like that.
Hm, OK. I was under the impression that this GPD is also quite small and new. Didn't followed their products actualy. I know you have some of their Handhelds in your store but these are also relative new. I have no background infos of how big this company is or how much people there work, nor where they come from.
Maybe also because of the Crowdfunding Campain, really huge Companies usualy don't do this. ^^"

If they are really a big company, then of course I can't compare them with Open Pandora etc... Would be interesing to know how they do fund their work, did they relly sold so much handhelds yet or do they have investors or sell other products since years?

GPD have said on the Chinese baidu forum that you will be able to load Linux on it if you want to. "You can install Ubuntu or Red Hat and other Linux systems"

The big news though is that they have recognized the complaints that the KB is heavily left shifted. They said they are changing the design to fix it. Although , what they seem to be saying wont be perfect IMO , but we will see. It seems they have no visibility on what Dingoonity users have been saying - which is surprising since they gave aus a direct channel of comms and there Rep assured us they were getting our comments. This is majorly dissapointing to me. It means they cant see the alternative layouts I and others put together and thus will probably make some hack change. I guess anything is better than nothing though

Edit:^ /edit
^
they produce a new device almost every year.... aaaand... every one of them sells far more than all pandora sales put together...
.... and can sell comparable hardware at a significantly lower price than we could ever realistically do....
.... and they are 'successful' this way, because their motivation is always: as much profit as possible in the smallest amount of time with as little work or support as they can get away with... once the initial buying frenzy subsides, they pretty much move onto the next device.

That is fine if you are a buyer and like getting a new toy every year, not too concerned with any wierd design decision.... because you know a new model isn't that far away.

While there is a lot of overlap in the target markets for both companies....
ours is much much smaller, and ED would be wise to continue to push the philosophies and concepts that make Pandora/Pyra stand appart.

Bottom line... if a person would look at the two devices, at the support surrounding both devices, and still choose Win over Pyra...

well, they can still be a part of this community if they wish... but *ahem* they would be more 'humoured' than regarded as of the same 'quality' as...

you get theidea

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Addressing the size concern. The specs GPD is giving out is literally the same width and thickness as a New 3DS XL That makes it thinner, but with a larger footprint than the Pandora.

Based on my New 3DS XL, I would tend to agree with ED's assessment the middle keyboard buttons would be reachable, but uncomfortable with normal thumb typing.

From what I've seen of comments from the other Campaign Backers, they seem to be on top of things with pointing out the design flaws to GPD. So I'm expecting what we'll get will be decent, but not as refined as the Pyra.

@ED Would you mind to take a picture of the back of the Pyra while holding it? Would it be possible to to add some holes like the speakers' one on the middle of the back of the Pyra for the heat?

Or at least on the middle part where we are sure that no one would put the finger to hold it?

Or at least on the middle part where we are sure that no one would put the finger to hold it?
I think some people might put their fingers there if not using shoulder buttons and nothing is plugged in. On my Pandora I sometimes put my fingers there, especially if I am alternating between using the touchscreen while supporting it with my left index finger, and holding with both hands. Probably the same for heavy touchscreen use (minus moving my fingers as I put my right hand back on it), but I never stopped to think about it while doing it.

I think some people might put their fingers there if not using shoulder buttons and nothing is plugged in. On my Pandora I sometimes put my fingers there, especially if I am alternating between using the touchscreen while supporting it with my left index finger, and holding with both hands. Probably the same for heavy touchscreen use (minus moving my fingers as I put my right hand back on it), but I never stopped to think about it while doing it.
As it would be like the speakers holes of the Pyra, without heat conductor, it shouldn't harm, even if someone put his fingers, right?

As it would be like the speakers holes of the Pyra, without heat conductor, it shouldn't harm, even if someone put his fingers, right?
I don't think it would injure the individual, but fingers in the way eliminate the benefit with regard to allowing heat out of the case. I think it is a decent idea, though, and I will possibly do something like what you recommend to my Pyra after I research and plan a bit more.

I don't think it would injure the individual, but fingers in the way eliminate the benefit with regard to allowing heat out of the case. I think it is a decent idea, though, and I will possibly do something like what you recommend to my Pyra after I research and plan a bit more.
It would eliminate the benefits everytime you would put your fingers, but everytime you wouldn't do it it wouldn't eliminates it.

Somemore it would be still more efficient than keeping a hard case, plus I was thinking about having this kind of hole from the upper part to the lower part in the middle of the back of the Pyra, so I don't think that someone would be able to put his fingers on every holes.

GPD have said they are redesigning the Keyboard a bit on the GPD WIN. They are aiming to show the redesign on Monday via an Indiegogo update. Not sure which Monday though. Could be a week or two

Last edited:
Running most of the time at a max of 1.44Ghz and the 14nm process should help keep it cooler than other comparable things
I was thinking about when using it during demanding games/applications where the clock speed would be above the default of 1.44Ghz, however according to this article even when the Z8500 is running something like Cinebench, which from my understanding should use the processor at 100% speed for all cores, the Z8500 still operates at approx 1.44Ghz but does not suffer from thermal throttling.
The only accurate pricing I can see for the Z8500 is $27
Good call, however I'd guess that price is the recommended wholesale price for the minimum order quantity and would be reduced according to how many were ordered, my mind is still pretty blown that you can get such a powerful Intel processor for $27. Guess we've got competition from ARM to thank for that.
GPD have said they are redesigning the Keyboard a bit on the GPD WIN. They are aiming to show the redesign on Monday via an Indiegogo update
Good to see they're listening. Had a quick look at the thread on the Dingoo boards, great work from you & Saber with your suggestions for a vastly improved keyboard layout.
Also: hi everyone. I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I bought a 1GHz Pandora a few years ago, and have been eagerly waiting for the Pyra.
Hi error, welcome to the boards, keep us posted how it goes with the GPD Win.

Last edited:
I was thinking about when using it during demanding games/applications where the clock speed would be above the default of 1.44Ghz, however according to this article even when the Z8500 is running something like Cinebench, which from my understanding should use the processor at 100% speed for all cores, the Z8500 still operates at approx 1.44Ghz but does not suffer from thermal throttling.
I have a baytrail Windows tab, and you can also completely disable the "burst" functionality if you want, keeping it at the more stock speed if thermals become an issue.

That setting might be specific to that UEFI/BIOS manufacturer though. Overall I think they behave well, even when doing momentary burst operations.

Looks like they have reached the $200K mark with 673 backers, ie twice their target with still over a month and a half left in the campaign

Getting a bit concerned that the Pyra preorders may be negatively impacted now. We are currently only talking hundreds, I just hope there are still enough people interested in the Pyra to make it happen. ED did pretty good with the prepreorders and prototype sales, so perhaps I shouldn't worry about it.

No rush (better to do everything right), but how long until the first Pyra prototype should be assembled?

Back