GPD WIN MAX ANNOUNCED

Wow, thanks @Grench

Looks monstrously awesome if not unwieldy :)

win-max_01.jpg

Last edited:
I'd guess GPD will officially announce the WIN Max after the P2 Max campaign ends , ie late August or maybe Sept.

That said, there isn't many specs that haven't already leaked.

Just the same one announced in April. In one of these GPD device threads we were indeed complaining that they were releasing too many devices for the niche to really support.

Edit: Nonsense fixed

Last edited:
I don't know if the IFA expo in Germany (early Sept) is open to the public, but GPD will be there.

I think they plan to be at TGS as well after that.

There is a chance they will show the WIN Max either in the flesh or a flier at these events

There was a leak with screen size. Seek and you shall find. It's not 8.9" BTW

Seems to big to be pocketable. this seems like more of a Win 3 device

Why do the refresh with the 8100Y, then this Max, then the Win 3?

I feel like they are bleeding the customers for cash with new devices every 6 to 8 months in the same product line. Customers will not bite on this knowing there is a new and better product in less than 6 months.

Now I wish I would have waited as I just got my GPD Win 2 in December:(

Seems to big to be pocketable. this seems like more of a Win 3 device

Why do the refresh with the 8100Y, then this Max, then the Win 3?

I feel like they are bleeding the customers for cash with new devices every 6 to 8 months in the same product line. Customers will not bite on this knowing there is a new and better product in less than 6 months.

Now I wish I would have waited as I just got my GPD Win 2 in December:(

The 8100Y update was a forced update. Supply of the 7Y30 has dried up and they cant get it anymore.

There is not not much of a performance boost anyway, just on the CPU sde you may see 5-10%. On the GPU side nothing

As for the WIN Max it's a new product line. It's not pocketable, just like the P2 Max is not pocketable.

There still will be a WIN 3 at some point, the thing is, there isn't a SOC they can use for a WIN 3 at the moment. It's no secret that Intel are a bit of a dumpster fire at the moment with their 10nm fab. It's pushed back 10nm SOCs as a result. Even now Ice Lake is meant to be out , but for companies like GPD, they may not have access until end 2020. ie Ice Lake is a claytons release, Intel production of 10nm is still a dumpster fire.

I am not so sure about that. The new Intel Ice lake Y and U series chips are coming this year which are built off of the Sunny Cove 10nm architecture.

Those Y chips would be great in the Win 3 and run cooler. Looks like the lowest power ones are 7, then 15 and 28 TDP.

Meh, I'll wait until I see stuff actually for sale. Every other prediction they've made of 10nm being in production has gaily flown away thus far, so I'll not take another prediction at face value.

I am not so sure about that. The new Intel Ice lake Y and U series chips are coming this year which are built off of the Sunny Cove 10nm architecture.

Those Y chips would be great in the Win 3 and run cooler. Looks like the lowest power ones are 7, then 15 and 28 TDP.

For big companies like Dell, they may eventually get Ice Lake this year, although I notcied their 2 in 1 with Ice Lake just slipped out a month.
But for companies like GPD, it's not expected that supply will be great enough to cater for them until end of next year. BTW, this came directly from someone who recently worked for Intel and still has freinds there.
Plus GPD has said the same thing

Unfortunately Intels 10nm production is still a dumpster fire, what you hear in the media is mostly smoke screen. Kind of like last time they launched 10nm chips which turned out complete rubbish

Back