GPD WIN MAX ANNOUNCED

Apparently, the company is looking for 30 testers to apply to One-Netbook so that they can get their hands on early OneGx consoles and constructively criticize them to pieces. Unsurprisingly, One-Netbook is looking for people with experience and enough spare time to help the One Mix maker compete against GPD and Smach.

Oh, is that what all of that chinese text says?

Oh, is that what all of that chinese text says?

It says they are looking for 30 people to test and provide feedback for the device . But the flier went out to their closed chinese group, which means they are fielding the 30 people from their chinese closed group only..

BTW, they have been working on it since Oct 2018 , back then they said it was in concept phase

@vcoleiro1

You mentioned a while ago that GPD will change the battery supplier for the GPD Max. Do you know if they will produce only for Max and future projects, or will the produce a Win 2 battery aswell ?

@vcoleiro1

You mentioned a while ago that GPD will change the battery supplier for the GPD Max. Do you know if they will produce only for Max and future projects, or will the produce a Win 2 battery aswell ?

They started using the new battery maker starting with the GPD MicroPC. So everything moving forward should use batteries from the new company.

As for the WIN 2, don't know if they will eventually move across to the new batteries , at the moment they are not. They do still supply replacement batteries if you need one

Thank you.
Yes my battery is dying and i need an replacement. I've mailed to GPD about it. They replyed that the batterys are currently out of stock but available again in a month (when i understood it correctly).
I am currently on the edge to keep it or sell it. Only because of the battery problematic. I dont want to buy an replacement for 85 Dollar and probably have an failure again in a few months.
I love my WIN 2, but there is no point for a mobile device like this with such an bad battery quality.
Could you ask them if they have plans to switch the WIN 2 battery production ?

Thank you.
Yes my battery is dying and i need an replacement. I've mailed to GPD about it. They replyed that the batterys are currently out of stock but available again in a month (when i understood it correctly).
I am currently on the edge to keep it or sell it. Only because of the battery problematic. I dont want to buy an replacement for 85 Dollar and probably have an failure again in a few months.
I love my WIN 2, but there is no point for a mobile device like this with such an bad battery quality.
Could you ask them if they have plans to switch the WIN 2 battery production ?

Ok, If I remember next time they are on , I'll ask them.

Thank you !
That would be very nice of you.

I asked the CEO of GPD about the batteries, he said they are now going to use batteries from GANFENG (which is the new battery maker) in the WIN 2.

I would wait until the battery shipment they are waiting on next month comes in. We should get verification from resellers if that batch is the new batteries

It's nothing new though. The clamshell form factor of gaming devices that GPD keeps on making is basically just a micro laptop/netbook with gaming controls or imo they just copied Pandora.
This clamshell form factor is the only one without copyright, and therefore, without hassle.

This clamshell form factor is the only one without copyright, and therefore, without hassle.
You can't copyright a hinge mechansim, unless it does something very specific. You're more likely referring incorrectly to patents. And even then, I've not seen a computing platform with a full keyboard since perhaps the pocketchip, and before that early calculator/computers from the late 70s/early 80s with a two line display at best. I think more likely it's simply that there's no real good way to include a keyboard and a decently sized screen unless you fold them over each other when not in use.

@levi ah, yeah, patents. that thing. all other ways (sliding a keyboard out, etc) were patented.

Patents don't last forever either. In tech usually 14-20 years.
I don't know how many times I've seen someone say, you can't use a cross dpad as Nintendo has a patent on that. Despite that coming out how many decades ago

Last edited:
Sliding keyboards or other mechanisms are more difficult to design and get right and can get costly. Clamshells are easier and cheaper.

Patents don't last forever either. In tech usually 14-20 years.
I don't know how many times I've seen someone say, you can't use a cross dpad as Nintendo has a patent on that. Despite that coming out how many decades ago

Though I hear apparently one of the reasons a lot of other D-pads suck so much, is because Nintendo has a patent on the little ball shape on the bottom of the D-Pad that makes it rock around in the socket smoothly, so a lot of companies either poorly imitate it or, as in the case of some cheaper Chinese knock-off D pads, they omit it completely so it acts like buttons.

Back