GPD WIN MAX ANNOUNCED

True. While I'm trying my best, I can only do as much as the companies did offer, as I simply haven't the funds to switch companies in worst case to make sure we have the best quality.
And the GPD Win 2 is of top-notch quality (except for the batteries).
Fingers crossed, ED.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Reactions: rSl
And the GPD Win 2 is of top-notch quality (except for the batteries).
- Except when the display ribbon cable breaks out of the blue.
- Or when the lid closing magnet doesn't always fire the switch

Right, I already had quite a couple of broken ribbon cables there.... but the first Pandora batch wasn't any better :)

Number of team members working on the Pyra: around 4 - 7
Number of team members working on GPD stuff: Probably more than 30 :)

It is known that the German humor is different (somebody even thinks that it's not existent) but c'mon ED, it was a silly kid joke.

The case quality of the GPD Win 2 is awesome, but so far, it seems A LOT of batteries fail for all GPD Devices (except for the GPD XD+) after a year or so, which is a bit concerning.
GPD would gain even more quality (of life) when they just switch to removable batteries instead of built in ones. I'm sure they have designers and engineers thatc ould eaily do this. So a broken battery would not be a real issue anymore.
But it looks like this is not the GPD philosophy, maybe they can be convinced some day.

Last edited:
GPD would gain even more quality (of life) when they just switch to removable batteries instead of built in ones. I'm sure they have designers and engineers that ould eaily do this. So a broken battery would not be a real issue anymore.
But it looks like this is not the GPD philosophy, maybe they can be convinced some day.
GPD has in general a fire and forget practice: As soon a device is successfully launched in the market, they forget about it.

For example: Are there any driver or firmware updates for the old devices? USB C of the Pocket 1 is still not working properly but there is no support from GPD.

I can imagine that this strategy generates more revenue for GPD as customers are forced to buy more devices but it is very unsustainable for the customers and environmentally harmful

GPD has in general a fire and forget practice: As soon a device is successfully launched in the market, they forget about it.
I don't own any GPD devices. I just hope they are not the typical chinese fire and forget company. Of course things like long-term-support would also gain them even more credit. These companies in general should start to learn what a good reputation can bring (in the western world).

Show me something mainstream that isn't these days. Even Apple devices (which I excluded, as those are to a greater degree able to run the newest updates for longer apparently) are built in china.

Show me something mainstream that isn't these days. Even Apple devices (which I excluded, as those are to a greater degree able to run the newest updates for longer apparently) are built in china.

Apologies, as I didn't word my previous post properly.
What I meant was...most Android phones are made by Chinese (Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo, Meizu, Vivo, etc) and S. Korean (Samsung and LG) brands.

The Pandora wasnt made in China, only the Plastik Case Parts,
The SOC was made by Circuitco in Texas for the first Batch and by Global Components in Germany for the later Batches,
Some where assembled in Britain, and most in South Germany (Ingolstadt)..

Sure lots of Parts where made in China, but the Pandora wasnt made in China..

Yeah, just look at how western products like android phones can run the latest patches for years from their initial release date. Oh, wait.
They get at least security patches over 2 years and Google also want to expand full Android update support even further. The recent Nokia Smartphones for instance get full updates for at least 2 years, not only security patches. So this improves right now. And Apple's long time support for their devices is even better.
I need a newer win 10 Version to be honest, my 1703 is out of support but that's a minor issue since I can just download the newest version and get updates for at least 2 years. Even a recent BIOS for my 2015 Mainboard is available. All this is better than various chinese hardware companies that never ever release any updates for their devices at all. ;)

The Pandora wasnt made in China, only the Plastik Case Parts,
The SOC was made by Circuitco in Texas for the first Batch and by Global Components in Germany for the later Batches,
Some where assembled in Britain, and most in South Germany (Ingolstadt)..

Sure lots of Parts where made in China, but the Pandora wasnt made in China..

Circuitco made the original PCBs, not the SoC. That was made by TI, possibly actually in the US (they do have chinese and taiwanese factories, but most of their fabs seem to be in odd places in the US).

@FBnil I guess two years is better than nothing. It doesn't mean much to me when I'm looking to buy a phone though, as I'm usually looking at the cheaper end and a year to 18 months old, which means much of that support span is already used up, but you're right that it's a long way from actual fire and forget.

The two batteries I got with my Pandora still work fine, though I have to take them out or they somehow kick on and drain while it's in its case and in my backpack, I suspect they're 'bouncing' and causing the pins to make it turn itself on. But they both still hold at least 95% charge and have lasted for hours. As long as they're kept properly and stored properly, they should last an extremely long time. My GPD Win's battery is working fine, though I do have concerns when it eventually dies. If it does, I may see if I can find alternatives, or find a way to run it without a battery one way or another.

That's good to know and hopefully true. I know many of my customers refuse to buy any more GPD products from me as they had that problem with the GPD Win 1 and GPD Pocket... and batteries aren't available anymore.
It's also an issue for distributors - I had to fully refund quite a lot of units as I couldn't return them to a working state again due to the lack of replacement batteries :(
You speak to Alice about this lately?
GPD received a new production run of Win batteries in October.
I've got a bulk order of Win, Win2 and Pocket batteries coming that I'll get in a month or so and they should still have more.

We're using the same company as before, and most Pandora batteries from 2013 (some even from 2011) still work fine :D

That's good to know and hopefully true. I know many of my customers refuse to buy any more GPD products from me as they had that problem with the GPD Win 1 and GPD Pocket... and batteries aren't available anymore.
It's also an issue for distributors - I had to fully refund quite a lot of units as I couldn't return them to a working state again due to the lack of replacement batteries :(

Do you have any loose GPD Win Motherboards in good working order? Mine has an issue with the microHDMI port and I am not dexterous enough to desolder/solder a new one on. Also, any of the keyboard PCB's? Mine has some slight weirdness with boot sometimes and I have a suspicion that the power button may be slowly breaking down.

Been a long time since I posted. I've been around on/off since the GP2X. Ugh @ AA batteries and RCA video connections... wow what used to pass for awesome. I wanted a Pandora but lost patience following =(, Pyra more or less the same. I think some of the fanboys here need a reality check...

I have a Win 1 and a Win 2. I run Arch Linux on both, and both far surpass any and all expectations I'd ever have for a Pandora/Pyra. The Win 2 also makes the Win 1 look like a very rough prototype in its improvements... not to mention who needs dual SD when you have something like M.2? The assertion I see flying here about quality/quantity here is absurd. Then you have these "environmental" arguments that are nothing more than a distraction, also complaints/fearmongering about battery life... What a joke. Battery problems are the kind of privilege that falls out of actually having a product out. Not to mention you can replace the battery on the Win 2- get a screwdriver.

This isn't a knock on ED, this is just a reality check for the rest of you. I came back lurking a couple weeks ago to see if the Pyra was finally out yet or not, well here we still are. There are reasons, for sure. Team size, funding, goals, etc. I think he's got something to be proud of for sure. I'm a big fan of the ideas around it, around open source hardware. But the open source community needs to do better.

My needs are met with a Win 2, and there's really nothing the Pyra is going to be able to do that the Win 2 cannot I'm going to miss. I'm always going to keep that eye out to see if new things are happening in the OSS/OSH space, but when I needed to ditch Android for something else, the Win 2 delivered. I wasn't going to wait years on end to say "sayoonara Google". If GPD stops delivering, I'll move on. Until then, they're my go-to scratch for the mobile Linux itch.

Best wishes ED, maybe I'll grab a Pyra post-release. It is quite cool.

Back