GPD WIN 2

An Indiegogo campaign has started today for a custom WIN 2 Heatsink

Here are the temp differences between the original and custom heat sinks (Comes in copper or aluminium)

unknown.png

Tests ran for an hour at full load

I'm gonna wait for pics of the 3 shells before deciding if I wanna back this. I personally like how the Win 2's back shell feels, so hopefully the replacement for the heatsink feels as nice or better.

The copper heatsink weighs 100g vs 20g or 30g for stock and aluminum respectively. While the heat dissipation looks pretty good on the copper, and there is no free lunch, I think I would definatly notice a 80g difference in weight, the win 2 is kinda hefty to begin with at 460g.

Install looks "easy" as in not 100% disassembly, but it's far from drop in replacement like upgrading a video card or ram stick.

Last edited:
The copper heatsink weighs 100g vs 20g or 30g for stock and aluminum respectively. While the heat dissipation looks pretty good on the copper, and there is no free lunch, I think I would definatly notice a 80g difference in weight, the win 2 is kinda hefty to begin with at 460g.

Install looks "easy" as in not 100% disassembly, but it's far from drop in replacement like upgrading a video card or ram stick.

I think the best option considering weigth as well, is probably his custom Aluminium heatsink offering

I think I would probably still go with the copper anyway, since I'm already used to heavy UMPCs. Though, I tend to be indecisive, so I may change my mind later.

GPD will be at CES starting Jan 8th

They will be showcasing one of the new products (not a WIN or Pocket) they plan to launch in 2019

Can you post
GPD will be at CES starting Jan 8th

They will be showcasing one of the new products (not a WIN or Pocket) they plan to launch in 2019

Could you please post the text of that for those of us who don't want to be spied on by Mark Zuckerberg?

Can you post

Could you please post the text of that for those of us who don't want to be spied on by Mark Zuckerberg?

GPD will be at CES Jan 8th - Jan 11th at booth number: 61307

They will be showcasing one of the new products (not a WIN or Pocket) launching in 2019

I'll be happy when they announce it. It's not easy knowing about something for 6 months and not being able to talk about it .

Last edited:
GPD have announced that the GPD WIN 2 will now be updated to now use the M3-8100Y.

Along with the SOC change , there is also a number of other important changes that have been made.Here is a list of the other changes. It's translated from Chinese (off GPD's chinese forum) thus why the english is as it is

Upgraded version of WIN 2 improvements:

1, WIN 2 In addition to processor upgrades, the built-in SSD is also upgraded to 256GB, while the price is only 100 yuan more expensive than the 7Y30 machine, if you add a 200GB TF, then just Add 200 yuan;

2. Improve heat dissipation, but not simply change the heat dissipation part of the fan. 7Y30 machine, the motherboard is a two-layer design, the power control IC and SSD are actually superimposed together, causing the heat to be concentrated in the right hand position can not be dispersed, if you add power to run 3A games, it will be very hot. This time the entire motherboard has been changed. The power IC and SSD are not superimposed on top of each other and are staggered. In this way, the heat is evenly distributed and does not cause a local overheating. Don't worry about the power-on or the game overheating, causing a sudden shutdown or failure to boot. There is no need to reset the BIOS to the default settings by resetting it.

3, improved TF card read and write speed, compatible with A2 TF card, TF card bus speed is 833Mbps, bus bandwidth is 104MB / s, better A1 TF card is mostly able to achieve reading 100MB / s, write 80MB /s, but in fact does not reach this speed, generally the fastest is 70/50. However, if you use an A2 grade TF card, the theoretical read speed can reach 160MB/s and write to 90MB/s. WIN 2 is compatible with A2 cards and can take advantage of existing bus speeds.

4, WIN 2 upgrade version, began to support 5V charging, for non-PD protocol charger and mobile power supply are all compatible, of course, unless you temporarily emergency, it is recommended to use the standard fast charge, after all, PD fast charge is in addition to power the motherboard, Also help to charge the battery, in the boot state, 5V == 2A / 3A is certainly not enough.

5, improved the audio part, added an independent power amplifier integrated IC, 7Y30 version of WIN 2 used is a built-in amplifier, the sound quality is criticized, the new version of WIN 2 increased independent amplifier to achieve high gain and low distortion to achieve high fidelity sound quality, gaming experience good!

6. I think the new 8100Y WIN 2 will also use new batteries from Ganfeng. Currently they use batteries from SUNDA

GPD improves and upgrades one of their 1 year old devices? Wow, call me impressed. :confused:
I just can speculate that the GPD Win 2 sells well and such upgrades are the cheaper and faster way instead of moving along to an "Win 3". I like that they don't just abandon the Win2 while moving forward and starting from scratch. :)
What's known about the newer CPU compared to the older one?

GPD improves and upgrades one of their 1 year old devices? Wow, call me impressed. :confused:
I just can speculate that the GPD Win 2 sells well and such upgrades are the cheaper and faster way instead of moving along to an "Win 3". I like that they don't just abandon the Win2 while moving forward and starting from scratch. :)

Don't just abandon the Win 2? Win 2 people who want this still need to buy this entire new hardware though. So, shouldn't they just sell a PCB to put into your current Win 2 casing?

This sounds more like a bugfix of the current generation instead of something completely now, except for the SoC, which is almost a drop-in replacemenr for the old one.
Similar like the 1GHz Pandora which uses an updated SoC of the original Pandora :)

Nice to see that they are trying to address their issues. I hope the QC is improved as well and they don't send as many defective units.

Don't just abandon the Win 2? Win 2 people who want this still need to buy this entire new hardware though. So, shouldn't they just sell a PCB to put into your current Win 2 casing?
"Win 2 people" usualy have a Win 2 so I more thought about new customers. ;) IF GPD would not have done this upgrade, maybe they would have moved along and abandoned ther GPD win 2, so nobody could buy a new one anymore. They decided to continue and improve the Win 2 which I really appreciate.

This sounds more like a bugfix of the current generation instead of something completely now, except for the SoC, which is almost a drop-in replacemenr for the old one.
Similar like the 1GHz Pandora which uses an updated SoC of the original Pandora :)
And both can co-exist and I can't imagine the old Win 2 was a complete failure. :)
I still have my first batch Pandora with 256MB RAM and usualy 500-800MHz CPU speed. It takes minutes to load a browser and a webpage but I would never complain about that there is a faster Pandora available. Same for the Win 2.

Back