GPD WIN 2

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by vcoleiro1, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Advanced Member

720p is perfect IMO. Above that is too high. I use 1280x1024.

2. directive0

directive0 Very Active Member

The comments on that video are more carcinogenic than usual. He really kicked the hornets nest with that "windows is terrible" line. Pretty funny.

SONY likes this.
  3. Alperoot

Alperoot Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.

How can it be "too high" though? Like, what disadvantage does 1080p has over 720p? (except battery consumption)

4. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Well, your font controls might not go high enough to make your fonts legible at that resolution, or you may be able to see the shortcuts the font designers used when the fonts are dialled that high, even if it is possible.

klapse likes this.
  5. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Advanced Member

Well for a small screen, you end up with not everything being big enough to see, and then on top of that it takes more power to display things at a higher resolution.

klapse and SONY like this.
  6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

There COULD be a potential weak issue of the GPD Win 2.
    One of my customers has the following result once it fell to the ground:
    gpdwin2.jpg

So yeah... it could be that the LCD Cable easily is damaged if it falls onto the edge.

Could be a coincidence as well, who knows - but it could be a weak spot.
    So don't throw your GPD Win 2 to the ground.

SONY likes this.
  7. Citizen_Lurker

Citizen_Lurker Member

Generally solid advice for handling expensive handheld computers, luxury vases, and babies.

kamui_kun, Wally, ible and 4 others like this.
  8. sm0kew0n

sm0kew0n Very Active Member

Cool, when do plan to release it?

9. Alperoot

Alperoot Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.

Oh! Can we discuss its keyboard layout! Like, for ages?
    Hmm yeah, that kinda makes sense. I'm not a fan of "4K or literally unplayable" ideology either, I never understood all the hype surrounding 4K monitors and such.

10. vcoleiro1

vcoleiro1 Hardcore Member

Here is an interview with GPD that was posted today. Well worth a read, you will need to google translate it as it's in Japanese.
    They talk about how they moved from being an OEM comany to making their own products, how they have 30 staff - 15 devs and 15 in Marketing & sales, development decisions made for the Pocket 2 etc

https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/topic/feature/1133028.html

klapse and CommanderB like this.
  11. Askarus

Askarus Hardcore Member

Use a Pyra instead.

CommanderB likes this.
  12. Jumpman

Jumpman Advanced Member

So this thing is pretty cool uh? I haven't really followed this much, as the first one seemed OK, but nothing I needed at the time. What's the highest level of emulation this can run full speed? This retails for what, $700 or so correct? Some of the videos I've seen, this thing looks amazing, but the price while seeming "fair", is just out of my range for something like this. I would for sure look in to it if it ever gets to the $500 range.

Chris

13. ZXDunny

ZXDunny Deep avatar

I've heard tell that it can run GameCube and PS2, but I don't know how well. Probably not run Wii games though!

14. vcoleiro1

vcoleiro1 Hardcore Member

It should play Wii games fairly well , like the example below

15. Jumpman

Jumpman Advanced Member

Yeah, I've seen a few very solid GC/Wii clips as well, and this thing looks to be a beast for sure. I'm waiting on the Pyra and keeping my fingers crossed full speed N64 is possible at some point, and this is running GC/Wii as well as I would hope the N64 turns out on Pyra, just amazing.

As I said, the price for this now is for sure out of range, but I'm all in if it ever reaches my $500 sweet spot. LOL

Chris

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  16. ZXDunny

ZXDunny Deep avatar

The Pocket came down in price pretty quickly and there's no reason to assume this won't. Breath of the Wild on a mobile device? That would be heavenly.... :D

SONY likes this.
  17. Abaddon666

Abaddon666 Member

Hi,

I'm having issues with charging my new GPD Win 2. When I plug in the Cable the red LED flashes once, but only once, and Windows reports it would run on power from a socket WITHOUT charging the battery. I already deleted the battery Driver in order to have it reinstalled, but the Problem is still there. When powered of the Situation seems to be the same. LED flashes once and nothing else seems to happen. When powering on after several hours the battery power is less then before.
    Now does anyone have an idea what I could tryout before returning it to EvilDragon? Could there be something in the bios?
    Btw, I tried the USB-Slots of a powered Laptop as a power source as well was the provided Adapter.

Thank you in Advance

18. ZXDunny

ZXDunny Deep avatar

This might not work for you, but I experienced the same from my GPD Pocket. Turns out it was the supplied charger - not only was it an electrical hazard (when plugged in, if you stroke your finger over the metal case of the Pocket, you could feel a "vibration" effect meaning that current was leaking) but it almost always failed to charge the Pocket. I now use a Samsung S9+ charger and have no issues with charging at all.

SONY, ClockworkCoder and levi like this.
  19. SNESFAN

SNESFAN Retro game fanatic

If you ever attempted to charge it with a charger other than the included charger (or PD 12v charger) there has been reports that it messes with the internal power circuit and you have to open the back and disconnect the battery and reconnect it to get it to charge correctly again. I haven't encountered this, but that's what I hear anyway.

20. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Wasn't that an issue with the GPD Win 1? I know that wouldn't charge from anything but 12V, but that was something GPD seemed to want to fix for the GPD Win 2, and ISTR they claimed it would charge from any phone charger.