GPD WIN 2

It's probably different for everyone. I also can't stand the fan and when I was visiting my parents at home and had the GPD Win 2 lying in a corner, they wonderful d what the noise was.

Some hear it and don't care about it, some don't even hear it (unless they want to) and for others it's annoying. Everyone is different.

Sent from my Moto Z using Tapatalk

I cannot hear the fan on my WIN 2, and it's not a matter of hearing prowess - or lack thereof. The sound meter I have only registers when I put it right near the fan.

Last edited:
ED and I both have a WIN 2 from about the same time - ages ago now, whereas Fox has just received his

Ah ok, well, I don't have one yet, but tbh, I've watched literally hundreds of GPD Win 2 YouTube videos (and read heaps of previews and reviews) and hardly anyone has complained, let alone mentioned anything about 'excessive fan noise'.

I can't hear my Win 2 when doing simple tasks but as soon as I start stressing the device (gaming, windows updates, whatever) the fan is clearly noticeable. That said, it does not disturb me - I mean what do you expect from such a small device with so much power.

With ArchLinux, it's pretty silent. With Windows, it's very loud for me.

I can make some measurements next week.

With ArchLinux, it's pretty silent. With Windows, it's very loud for me.

I can make some measurements next week.

Same here, but these kind of thermal differences between Linux and Windows have been common for the last few years/decade in my experience (with Linux producing less heat and, by extension, noise). General power consumption of the system may not be as good in some cases because of some new/weird HW components, but those cases are not that common, and usually happen only on very new, modern systems.

And BTW, nice to see you are an Archer too, ED!

Is gaming under Linux as good as under Windows on the GPD Win 2? I can imagine that both OS produce the same heat under equal load when doing games.

Same here, but these kind of thermal differences between Linux and Windows have been common for the last few years/decade in my experience (with Linux producing less heat and, by extension, noise).

I was shocked to see how often the fan spun up and down repeatedly while Win10 was idling on my new ryzen laptop. Under linux i could idle with fan off.

I have a question about the m.2 port. Does it implement the 2 PCIe lanes of the b-key specification thus allowing nvme drives with b+m key to be used?
It also specifies usb, audio, I^2C ect but none of those would be useful for a primary boot device interface.

^ Check out the vid below.
Warning though...the guy 'The Linux Gamer' doing the vid, imo is a wanker

God I hate this stupid youtube trend of putting your dumb face on the thumbnail. I will never understand the reasoning. Nobody is clicking the video to see you. GET OUT OF THE FRAME. Why do I have to watch you talking at me infront of a brick wall or a bunch of knickknacks. Its so damn lazy.

There was this tested review of a Tricorder prop replica with Norman Chan and the video is nearly entirely of him on a couch talking about the prop. What the hell man.

Reactions: ___
God I hate this stupid youtube trend of putting your dumb face on the thumbnail. I will never understand the reasoning. Nobody is clicking the video to see you. GET OUT OF THE FRAME. Why do I have to watch you talking at me infront of a brick wall or a bunch of knickknacks. Its so damn lazy.

There was this tested review of a Tricorder prop replica with Norman Chan and the video is nearly entirely of him on a couch talking about the prop. What the hell man.

Some folks need lots of attention and fame...

people have weird preferences. i don't mind looking at people, but i guess i'm in the minority. i just don't like it when they're cussin'.

@directive0 - yeah I have similar issue with the Linus Tech Tips guy, but for him it's not just because he's in the thumbnail, it's because he exists period.
Hm, I like this channel, leaned alot of interesting things around PC 'n stuff. I even got a review of a special cooler that I plan to buy, including comparing to other products. Linus also in on another channel about Computer History, very educating imho. ^^

Hm, I like this channel, leaned alot of interesting things around PC 'n stuff. I even got a review of a special cooler that I plan to buy, including comparing to other products. Linus also in on another channel about Computer History, very educating imho. ^^
I just find his personality repellent.

Back