GPD WIN 2

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by vcoleiro1, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Gon

Gon Member

I'm a bit angry now that they deliver it with actual trojans preinstalled.

I will immediately do a virus scan once I receive this thing. This is something that I am sure I won't need to worry about when receiving my pyra.

2. TheOldOne

TheOldOne Fallen Paladin

My opinion of GPD was low from my Win 1 dieing, wend further down when they started demanding noone sell devices that compete with the pocket and with the Win 2 shipping trojans preinstalled has now reached the level of "will never buy from again".

Yorizuka likes this.
  3. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

At least one of those preinstalled exploits is spyware. Do windows users really need to care about that when the base OS is doing that for them anyway? ;)

Yorizuka likes this.
  4. directive0

directive0 Very Active Member

Wow. SERIOUSLY?

Thats amazing. Only experience with GPD I ever had was buying their GPD-5A which was a total piece of garbage so I guess I'm not THAT surprised.

5. NetBLOKS

NetBLOKS Finally on-board

Thats serious stuff.
    Is there already information on what the trojan/ virus does?

6. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

It seems to me there are two infections reported in that reddit thread: in the MS terminology that's Win32/Toga!rfn and Win32/Citeary.D. The former seems to be spyware, while the latter is a botnet infector it reads like to me.

NetBLOKS likes this.
  7. NOP

NOP Still Fresh

This sucks. I was considering to only install linux on the win2 but decided that that i should at least keep one windows machine. But now I have to rethink that...

At least i have time until tomorrow (dhl screwed up yay)

Btw. what are the best ways to disable/remove all this telemetry crap and auto update stuff?

8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Simplewall.

Alperoot, FBnil and levi like this.
  9. Cerbera

Cerbera Begen

10. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

@Cerbera
    So you use non-free software to get rid of spying?

11. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Advanced Member

Now I just wish I could figure out how to allow Windows Update without allowing the telemetry.

12. TheOldOne

TheOldOne Fallen Paladin

non-FOSS =\= non-free
    W10Privacy is free as in beer.
    What you probably meant was "proprietary" and that is a good complaint about small antispying software as there are quite a few fake ones that are in fact spyware themselves.

13. MJPIA

MJPIA Member

The virus thing is weird because they've made 7000 units so far I think (Wade said 3/4 made but dunno if he's referring to IGG units fulfilled or the 1.3K plus 1.7K plus 7K production runs they've done) and there are only a handful of people that reported this so far.
    Neither my original SSD from my prototype in January or the replacement SSD GPD sent me in March which was in Chinese and fully loaded with dozens of test tools had anything bad on them.
    The Windows 10 image GPD has available online is clean.
    One worm one guy found attempts to connect to a site that has been dead for years.
    Wade has said he is aware of it and all their images were checked and nothing was found.
    GPD is trying to establish a foothold in the west as a reputable company and intends to attend E3 next year and installing completely amateurish virus's on the units that get caught immediately when they could put trojan's somewhere where they would never be found doesn't make any sense.
    GPD did switch factories for production so I wonder if they've got a new worker slipping things in?

I dunno how this happened but it is bizarre.

14. Phawx

Phawx Professional Derailer

I also use ShutUp10. It's been updated to support Build 1803 and even the most aggressive settings are sensible without completely destroying convenience. I.E. Not remembering usernames on startup. That used to exist but as been reverted as lots of people don't remember the exact username to log in.

Not that many want to use the Windows 10 store, but these programs will disable firewall/antivirus which will prevent the Windows Store from working. If you do go with the most aggressive settings and want to use the Windows store, just go to services.msc and set Windows Update service to automatic and start the service.

15. Cerbera

Cerbera Begen

Nothing gets past you I see ;)

I used to use ShutUp10 but it lacked features that were useful to me so I switched programs.

SONY likes this.
  16. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

17. Cerbera

Cerbera Begen

I never would have had you down as a cuck, the more you know I suppose.

18. SONY

SONY PlayStation

Cuckold

19. Cerbera

Cerbera Begen

So you're one too eh?

SONY likes this.
  20. SONY

SONY PlayStation

Yes, I am...but the problem is, my partner, well...she isn't willing to satisfy my needs.