GPD WIN 2

Hi ED, maybe it's a bit too early for this question but I was wondering how much you are planning to sell the Win 2 in your store for and whether there will be another pre-sale like with the Win 1 (and how much will it cost during the presale)?
I bought my Win 1 from you shop and was super happy with the service I received so if it's not too pricey I would definitely get the Win 2 via your shop as well.

Hi ED, maybe it's a bit too early for this question but I was wondering how much you are planning to sell the Win 2 in your store for and whether there will be another pre-sale like with the Win 1 (and how much will it cost during the presale)?
I bought my Win 1 from you shop and was super happy with the service I received so if it's not too pricey I would definitely get the Win 2 via your shop as well.

Yes, a preorder deal is planned, but I can't say ANYTHING about price yet, as GPD hasn't told me anything here.

Played around with it a bit more:
The keyboard DEFINITELY is a huge win compared to the Win 1. It's now fully usable :)

For some reason, mouse still only has one speed when you move it with the stick though... same as on the GPD Win.
I wonder why they can't make it analogue...?

For some reason, mouse still only has one speed when you move it with the stick though... same as on the GPD Win.
I wonder why they can't make it analogue...?

Maybe you can learn them some things, are you able to provide such feedback to them?

I know we have dedicated members on the forum willing to discuss keyboard/mouse improvements in full detail :cool:

The button placement kinda worried me also, I was thinking it would be quite a reach. I think in the long run I'll just wait for the Pyra. 27% off is tempting but for me I mainly want one or the other for a Web browser and to play retro games. I'm probably not going to preorder, the indigogo says it still has a month so I have that long to decide. . .

I think if you hit R2 it should move faster?

Yes it does, but I guess ED was referring to the sticks not acting as analogue accelerators. That said, Iv'e never liked mouse analogue acceleration on sticks. Too hard to get use to for me, I'm usually all over the place with it. Much prefer the defined speed and manual acceleration (R2 button) setup that the WIN 2 currently has

Yes it does, but I guess ED was referring to the sticks not acting as analogue accelerators. That said, Iv'e never liked mouse analogue acceleration on sticks. Too hard to get use to for me, I'm usually all over the place with it. Much prefer the defined speed and manual acceleration (R2 button) setup that the WIN 2 currently has
Yeah, like with a normal mouse, you just move it in one speed only or press the accellerate-button.
God only knows what would happen if the actual movement speed of the mouse or the angle of the stick on the Win would actually matter like in a shooter or other game people play on the Win ;)

Oh... it's planned to be like this?
Geez... that doesn't make sense to me.

I've used 8bitdo-controllers as mouse (the old pro ones use the same stick), I've used Pyras and Pandoras nubs as mouse and I've used the small red sticks on Thinkpads as mouse.
They ALL work perfectly fine with the analog stick, whereas the current mouse mode on the Win 2 feels like moving the mouse pointer using cursor keys...
Heck, I even prefer a bad batch of Pandora nubs compared to the Win 2 solution.

Well, good thing is that it's software. A joypad -> mouse-movement program should be able to fix that.
[doublepost=1518482621,1518482407][/doublepost]
The button placement kinda worried me also, I was thinking it would be quite a reach. I think in the long run I'll just wait for the Pyra. 27% off is tempting but for me I mainly want one or the other for a Web browser and to play retro games. I'm probably not going to preorder, the indigogo says it still has a month so I have that long to decide. . .

Well, now that I played around with it, it's not as bad as I feared, you quickly forget about the location.

However, after using the GPD Win 2 for half an hour, my left hand started to hurt. Not sure why exactly, but something is uncomfortable for me. Probably the L1 mouse button, as you can barely reach it when the screen is open (I would prefer the L2 button as mouse). I cramp my hands there.
Similar to playing on a New 3DS (not XXL) with a DPad. I have to cramp my hand so it starts to hurt after 30 - 45 minutes as well.

It's probably a sign of me getting old :D
(Though I can still play for hours with the SNES, Pandora, etc.)

Oh... it's planned to be like this?
Well, now that I played around with it, it's not as bad as I feared, you quickly forget about the location.

However, after using the GPD Win 2 for half an hour, my left hand started to hurt. Not sure why exactly, but something is uncomfortable for me. Probably the L1 mouse button, as you can barely reach it when the screen is open (I would prefer the L2 button as mouse). I cramp my hands there.
Similar to playing on a New 3DS (not XXL) with a DPad. I have to cramp my hand so it starts to hurt after 30 - 45 minutes as well.

I have the same problem with the Win 1. After around 1 hour / 1,5 hours my hands start cramping up and I need to take a break.
I think in general the Win devices are not very ergonomic, but this is due to the fact that they wanted to keep them as small as possible.
Due to it being so flat, the device doesn't fit into a human hand very well. Basically you constantly need to keep your hand under tension if you don't want to drop it + additional tension in the thumbs for the joysticks and buttons.
On the other side, having a form factor like for example the Xbox controller would make the device a lot more bulky...so it's a trade off.

I would not say so.
I never would the 3DS D-PAD for anything like movment. That location is unusable for me for sure.
It's only good for weapon switching and such things.

I would not say so.
I never would the 3DS D-PAD for anything like movment. That location is unusable for me for sure.
It's only good for weapon switching and such things.
Well, I played through shovel knight...

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with the Win 1. After around 1 hour / 1,5 hours my hands start cramping up and I need to take a break.
I think in general the Win devices are not very ergonomic, but this is due to the fact that they wanted to keep them as small as possible.
Due to it being so flat, the device doesn't fit into a human hand very well. Basically you constantly need to keep your hand under tension if you don't want to drop it + additional tension in the thumbs for the joysticks and buttons.
On the other side, having a form factor like for example the Xbox controller would make the device a lot more bulky...so it's a trade off.

Yes, that's the reason in my opinion as well.
The Pandora is thicker and the Pyra as well and I never had issues there (I can easily play for hours).
The downside is that these are needing more space in your pocket, so the Win is better as suited for that.

There is no real solution, both have positive and negative aspects.

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

On the 3DS I initially found the d-pad unusable for more than a quick peck to control a menu or something, but I guess I adapted so that now I can actually play games completely using that oddly positioned d-pad if it suits the game better. But then I noticed before now that my hand adapts between controllers if I use them enough - whenever I dig out my N64 for a run through of F-Zero X (which is rarer these days thanks to how well it works on newer versions of the Pandora's emulator) I find if I'm trying to play seriously on another controller with a more conventional wrist orientation, I get odd pains in my left thumb. But if I only play N64 for the week or so that's out, then go back later to a more conventional controller I don't experience any pain like that. Luckily it seems I can adapt to both the 3ds's odd d-pad and the Pandora's better more conventional d-pad at the same time though.

The WIN 2 Indiegogo campaign is now at the half way point being 30 days into its 60 day campaign

So far it has raised $2,010,836 from 3147 backers

maybe we need a case which expands to make it easy to play, and collapses to fit in the pocket.

maybe we need a case which expands to make it easy to play, and collapses to fit in the pocket.

That would be something :)
Actually, I just remembered I have the same problem with the New 3DS even when playing when the analog stick: After about 1 hour, my hand starts to hurt... it's probably too thin there as well.

it could be a pretty satisfying mechanic, i think. especially with springs and clicking involved. maybe it could functionally expand a heatsink or something, too.

There's something curious about these prototype's.
My unit worked pretty much perfectly out of the box running Ubuntu 16.04 including the touchscreen, the only thing that didn't work was closing the lid to suspend and that worked mostly, its just on opening it the right half of the screen would be flickering like crazy.
Brad from liliputing.com has (or had) a test unit and the touchscreen or controller wouldn't work on any distro of Linux he tested, Ubuntu, Mint Linux, Fedora, Lubuntu & Debian I think.
On the GPD discord he popped the lcd out of the shell like I did to look at the touchscreen controller, both our units use the Goodix GT911 controller.
By all accounts our test units are identical, his touchscreen works perfectly in Windows yet it doesn't work in any variant of Linux.
Yet my touchscreen works flawlessly in both Windows and Linux.
Its so weird.

Or something like this, got one for my DS Lite and it made a huge difference for extended play sessions.

Back