GPD Pocket 2 Announced

What do you think about the proposal?

I never liked the placement at the top, it's where the UH900 and Viliv N5 had them but they were smaller and easier to hand hold and operate. If they're going with the optical mouse why not place it at the bottom like the Everun Note? I would actually consider it an upgrade then, as it is, the Pockets' trackstick works a treat thank you.

I believe they want to use one of these -

pic03.jpg

but placed above the keyboard, this is the Everun Note version.

I can't imagine they work like an actual laser mouse sensor though. I just tried it with my mouse, and it does detect my thumb, and while on my current DPI settings I can make it from the top of the screen to the bottom with a single swipe, it takes two swipes to cross the screen widthways, and concerningly it's almost impossible to take your thumb away without making the pointer jump, and it'll sometimes jump almost completely randomly when you remove your thumb and reapply it to move it further, so it's not actually a realstic use for it, but it's possible it works that way. You'd need to downscale the DPI though, since it feels very imprecise done this way, which'd mean more swipes to get anywhere. I think I'd prefer it to work like an optical version of a nub, so that if you move left and hold it there it keeps going left.

If they're going with the optical mouse why not place it at the bottom like the Everun Note?
I imagine the thinking is that the device will be used as a hand held, so when holding it, the right thumb can move the cursor and the left thumb click the buttons.

What's an "optical mouse sensor"? ^^"
An optical mouse has a laser and a tiny camera* on the bottom of it: as it moves, the camera tracks the thing underneath it and does some quick calculations to figure out position changes.
Now you flip it upside down and instead of tracking a table it tracks your finger moving over it.

*for the most raw definition of "camera"

An optical mouse has a laser and a tiny camera* on the bottom of it: as it moves, the camera tracks the thing underneath it and does some quick calculations to figure out position changes.
Now you flip it upside down and instead of tracking a table it tracks your finger moving over it.

*for the most raw definition of "camera"
Thanks. I know how optical mouses work, have these since late 90's (good old MouseMan Dual Optical was my first one :D ) But I had no idea that this tech is also used "upside down" to have an "digital Track Point". Nice idea actualy, saves space and mechaincal parts. However, I would prefer an old fashioned (Thinkpad)-Track Point in that case. ^^

GPD have proposed a change to the Pocket 2. The proposed change adds an optical mouse sensor and real L/R buttons in the top bar as per the image below
L and R mouse buttons will be located on the left side of the top bar as indicated, and the optical mouse sensor will be on the right side

Wade (one of GPDs owners) mentioned he tried the optical sensor they have in mind and it is as good as , if not better than the pointer nub they used in the current GPD Pocket

What do you think about the proposal?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/451985934649655296/454484197235621888/unknown.png(edited)

Too close to hinge. Better would be to split the spacebar again and put it in the middle.

I probably mis-spoke when I said it will be an optical mouse sensor. It's probably infrared or something else - cant imagine it would shoot a laser out like a normal mouse. To be honest, I don't know how exactly it works.

If you see any reviews or pics about the One Mix Yoga, then it will be like the one it uses.

@Grench

That picture does make it look as if it is very close to the hinge, in reality, as the hinge doesn't extend across, there is room. See my poor sketch below showing roughly where the buttons and mouse sensor will be :):

upload_2018-6-10_10-12-57.png

It's probably infrared or something else - cant imagine it would shoot a laser out like a normal mouse. To be honest, I don't know how exactly it works.
It's probably using a low powered IR LED, more like a trackball. Same basic idea.

I just got word from GPD that the mouse sensor can be used to perform a left click as well , so some one handed use can be done.

Is it me, or does that last picture doesn't depict the comma our period keys, are we assuming they are on the <> keys?

Is it me, or does that last picture doesn't depict the comma our period keys, are we assuming they are on the <> keys?

That was a very early render, they are there on <> keys in later renders

Oh ok, just thought it was recent as it had the mouse stuff on, which weren't on the first batch of renders that were posted. Have they fixed the Fn+Arrows in any subsequent renders?

Edit: Ignore this, I've just seen that the last pic you posted had just the proposed mouse sections highlighted. That's what happens when you're tired and not looking properly

That was a very early render, they are there on <> keys in later renders
Please tell me they have fixed the PgUp & PgDn mapping fiasco there too...?
[doublepost=1528732745,1528732223][/doublepost]
I probably mis-spoke when I said it will be an optical mouse sensor. It's probably infrared or something else - cant imagine it would shoot a laser out like a normal mouse. To be honest, I don't know how exactly it works.

If you see any reviews or pics about the One Mix Yoga, then it will be like the one it uses.

@Grench

That picture does make it look as if it is very close to the hinge, in reality, as the hinge doesn't extend across, there is room. See my poor sketch below showing roughly where the buttons and mouse sensor will be :):

View attachment 31771

I figure it will be more or less like the thumb mouse sensor that was on the Blackberry I had ~ 8 years ago. More or less functional.

I'm still a bit concerned about the proximity of that control to the touchscreen. Can't be helped - there isn't much other space left.

They could have gotten a bit more creative with a very slight key spacing shrink on the letter keys and more than a little on the number keys. The Gemini did that in a 6" class device and it works well. The Pocket 2 having more keyboard surface area could get there with a far less dramatic key shrink. Adding a couple of additional keys to the ASDFGHJKL row to have a Tab key, \ and a sliver of Enter on that row (Psion keyboard) really does make a difference when touch typing.

GPD have shown pictures of the revised Pocket 2. Changes include:

1) Mouse L&R buttons (top bar - on the left)
2) Optical mouse sensor (top bar - grey squareon the right )
3) Tab key has moved next to the Escape key
4) Prt Scr and Insert are now function keys freeing up two keys
5) The two free keys due to move noted above, are now occupied by:
a) The Caps Lck key which has come down from the top bar
b) A Half-Width / Full Width Kanji key (for the Japanese market)

9yGEwPd.png

Getting there...
Though the "natural" functions of the F11 and F12 keys are the wrong way around, it's usually -/_ and =/+

I can understand trying to combine keys due to the restricted nature, but changing the common combos is a bit weird

Getting there...
Though the "natural" functions of the F11 and F12 keys are the wrong way around, it's usually -/_ and =/+

I can understand trying to combine keys due to the restricted nature, but changing the common combos is a bit weird

IT's just a sloppy render. You can see them the correct way around in the other renders they released at the same time

IT's just a sloppy render. You can see them the correct way around in the other renders they released at the same time
Oh, didn't know that. I've not seen any other renders. Where are you seeing these then? This thread is basically my only source of information at the minute (though in all fairness, I've not actively searched)

Back