Ubuntu Tablet with Z8700 being crowdfunded

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Looks like MJ Technologies are about to launch a crowd funding campaign to produce a Ubuntu tablet with an Intel X7-Z8700 SOC. Looks interesting.

http://liliputing.com/2016/01/mj-technology-wants-to-crowdfund-ubuntu-tablets-with-atom-x7-cpu.html

• 1920 x 1200 pixel IPS display with 10-point capacitive multitouch input
  • Intel Atom x7-Z8700 Cherry Trail processor
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 64GB of storage + microSD card slots
  • 802.11b/g/n dual-band WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0
  • micro HDMI and 3.5mm headset jack
  • USB 3.0 port, USB 2.0 port, and micro USB port
  • 13MP rear and 8MP front cameras
  • 2W stereo speakers
  • Mini PCI Express slot
  • Ubuntu 16.04
  • 8.9 inch tablet and a 10.1 inch version for $350 and $400

mj-tablet.jpg

Last edited:
You mean a resistive digitiser, I assume? The specs say it has a capacitative touchscreen, and I assume they need some sort of digitiser too.

I believe he means having an active pen digitizer like the MS Surface and Galaxy Note. I have been keeping an eye out for a linux-capable tablet with the multitouch/pen combo, but haven't seen anything great yet. I think the closest I've seen recently is the ability to boot Arch on the Surface Pro 3...

Looks like this Ubuntu Linux tablet running on a Intel Cherry Trail SOC has finally hit Indiegogo. Seems to be a collaboration between Canonical and BQ: http://liliputing.com/2016/03/mj-technologys-ubuntu-tablet-hits-indiegogo-230.html

"Canonical and BQ may have partnered to create the first Ubuntu tablet to ship with support for both mobile and desktop user interfaces"

Looks like it comes in a number of flavours:

Tanto

• 10.1 inch display
  • Intel Atom x7-Z8750 processor
  • 2GB RAM
  • 64GB eMMC storage
  • 8,500 mAh battery
  • 8MP rear and 5MP front cameras
  • dual-band 802.11b/g/n WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0
  • 2 full-sized USB 3.0 ports, a microSD card slot, mini HDMI port, micro USB port and USB Type-C port
  • Internal mini PCIe slot
  • Stereo speakers
Mini Tanto

• 10.1 inch display
  • Intel Atom z5-Z8300 processor
  • The rest of the specs are pretty much the same as for the Tanto
Wakizashi

• 8.9 inch display
  • Intel Atom z7-Z8750 processor
  • 4GB RAM
  • 128GB eMMC or 256GB SSD storage options
  • 7,500 mAh batter
  • 13MP rear and 8MP front camera
  • Other specs are pretty much the same as for the other tablets
Katana

• 10.1 inch display
  • 8,500 mAh battery
  • Other specs are the same as for the Wakizashi
[doublepost=1459460454,1459459073][/doublepost]Looks like they will also make other Linux distro available on the tablet later on

We want the user to have the choice of what operating system and software they want for their given application. Even if a user would like multiple operating systems on one tablet, such as Ubuntu Linux, Elementary OS, Linux Mint, Red Hat, OpenSUSE,or Kali Linux, we can provide the user with the options they need.

bao752tu9brzdt8xtwxi.png

h2472aitnocyqh0ud60s.png

We will assist them in that respect by working on making all known viable, popular Linux distributions compatible with our Linux tablets. It will take time to integrate the different Linux distributions shown above, as each has unique properties, but that is our end goal here at MJ Technology LLC.

Very interesting - and cool. However, I still don't carry a purse. If the device doesn't fit in my pocket, it doesn't work.

Now, that SoC as a replacement SoC for a Pyra (with it's connectivity, keyboard, nubs, slots and ports) - there you have my interest. Maybe someday...

I still fail to see how this will be a productive experience without a digitizer...

... so do they expect you to use a mouse anytime you want to get real work done?

I don't get it.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

@FaeMinx,

You can use an active fine tip stylus I suppose. From what I've seen, they are pretty decent
Hmm. I will have to try one out.

I'm sure to be dissapointed though... I've been spoiled by Wacom tech...

*avoided the newer generations of Surface Pro specifically because they switched to ntrig... am very happy with my Pro 2(modified), and my Note 8*

... sold my old Cintiq 12wx to finance the Pro...

I'll bet those fine tip capacitive styluses have no pressure sensitivity right?
So almost useless for artistic types unless all you are interested in is crude inking.

Don't these active styluses need support from the screen end to work, namely a digitiser?
No they don't

They don't reject your palm I think, so you have to hold your palm off the screen or use an app that does palm rejection. There is Blutooth active stylus that do, but they don't work with all software.

Last edited:
Back