GPD MicroPC

Small details can mean a lot to some users.
I think that small think is the RS232 port personally. I don't have a use for it myself these days (last time I used a serial port was to connect to an external v90 modem I think), but if Matzezu's right and there are CNC shops with machines that still talk RS-232 and don't have an attached terminal through which you do everything on every machine, that might be a market for it. And I could well imagine a number of firms in this country with old server rooms where it might make more sense to talk rs-232 to a number of boxes rather than hooking up a USB keyboard and digital monitor to a box that's fallen off the network and needs a cuddle.

I note this rs232 port actually has screw lugs to hold a DE-9 housing screwed to the laptop, which means maybe the envisioned market isn't the mobile fixer actually, and the idea is that a lot of users will want to wire this more permanently to something. I can't remember screwing in more than one of those even on pretty much permanently installed VGA or DVI connectors these days, but maybe it's a design win amongst serial users to have those, I dunno.

As someone who does some field work on datacenters I find this device pretty useful. As others noted the rs232 is very welcome in some cases such as mine.

Anyhow I won't waste my money in something that will use only for work. Gaming controls is a must for me.

As an owner of a GPD WIn 1, I would just love to see someone redesign the keyboard so that it's more functional and easier to use. It can occupy the same footprint, just have keys in different places and it'd be perfectly fine. I think something that would be nice is if they could find a way to allow users to 'hot swap' keyboards. That'd probably make them a little thicker, but that shouldn't be too big a problem.

GPD will be at CES which starts in 3 weeks time. They will be showing a working protype of the MicroPC there

If you happen to be going (I know it's limited access) , they will be at booth #61307

Otherwise, I suspect some tech sites will probably write articles on it

I think that small think is the RS232 port personally. I don't have a use for it myself these days (last time I used a serial port was to connect to an external v90 modem I think), but if Matzezu's right and there are CNC shops with machines that still talk RS-232 and don't have an attached terminal through which you do everything on every machine, that might be a market for it. And I could well imagine a number of firms in this country with old server rooms where it might make more sense to talk rs-232 to a number of boxes rather than hooking up a USB keyboard and digital monitor to a box that's fallen off the network and needs a cuddle.

I note this rs232 port actually has screw lugs to hold a DE-9 housing screwed to the laptop, which means maybe the envisioned market isn't the mobile fixer actually, and the idea is that a lot of users will want to wire this more permanently to something. I can't remember screwing in more than one of those even on pretty much permanently installed VGA or DVI connectors these days, but maybe it's a design win amongst serial users to have those, I dunno.

Well that, or making sure that the connection stays secure while it's in use. I remember one of my frustrations with old school serial where it would sometimes just fall out of the port.

A pocket sized server crash cart, I could use one of those. The number of servers I've worked on that only had serial or ssh (and weren't talking to the network) is much higher than most people that don't work IT would expect.

It would be nice if it could also work as a keyboard/touchpad/vga display for when a headless systems needs it temporarily.

Edit: fix some autocorrect fails

Would you happen to know if it's another UMPC?

I do know what it is, but It is a secret at the moment.

I will say it's only just gone into render and design stage.

Last edited:
I do know what it is, but It is a secret at the moment.

I will say it's only just gone into render and design stage.
Oh hoh, judging by how fast they were with the MicroPC, I'll expect to see an announcement by summer?
Oh, and so after finally revealing the MicroPC they let you and the others know what the second product will be?

Oh hoh, judging by how fast they were with the MicroPC, I'll expect to see an announcement by summer?
Oh, and so after finally revealing the MicroPC they let you and the others know what the second product will be?

They let me know about the second product including sketches(now at render stage) and rough specs etc in mid November
An announcement around US summer time is probabaly on the cards

Unfortunately I cannot reveal anything about it, as it is a secret

Last edited:
I kinda want it, but can't say I have a need for it ATM. There is definitely a market for it.

My 100LX will work for what I would do with this, and a Pyra will probably work for it too (eventually) in a more modern device with Linux and gaming controls. I never got all the pieces together to use my Pandora to talk to network devices.

The price is nice, but you can probably get an old laptop for around the same price, or save a few bucks and just get a USB adapter.

@Linux-SWAT which one did you use with the Pandora?

that big touchpad for scrolling on it is called a touchscreen :D

I just had an awkward moment trying to realize how to get two fingers on that touchpad for scrolling while holding it in your hands until I realized you can sit it down somewhere ...

Back