Gp2x Stick Replacement Petition

I know, no product is perfect. But when the GP2X was released, it was FAR from perfect. Aren't you a little mad that they made a new version of the GP2X not to make improvements but to FIX problems? It doesn't matter if I don't have a GP2X. I've seen countless people saying the joystick is "decent", "stiff", "inprecise", etc.
Do the world a favour and shoot yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im getting the impression JagMs is just a hater because 1. He has no GP2X and probably can't afford to get one? (who knows), 2. Sees so many people here enjoying their GP2X and 3. Is a jealous piece of shit and wants to try and put doubt in peoples minds.

Quite concise if I do say so myself :p

Im getting the impression JagMs is just a hater because 1. He has no GP2X and probably can't afford to get one? (who knows), 2. Sees so many people here enjoying their GP2X and 3. Is a jealous piece of shit and wants to try and put doubt in peoples minds.

Quite concise if I do say so myself :p

Troll or not, the stick still sucks.

Signed.

I think a d-pad lends itself to portable devices more than a joystick because they're less likely to break off (the number of times I've popped my cap [teehee] off when putting it in my pocket), and small joysticks (like the current one) don't feel quite so strong as a full sized.
Obviously, that last one's a no-brainer, but I am worried about getting too enthusiastic in some games and just breaking it off.

Personally, I don't think the current one is a failure - it works fine for the games I play - but a proper 8-way d-pad (not a four-way with the diagonals simulated) would be very welcome (even as an option/mod).

Having bought my son a Mk2 a couple of weeks ago (from gp2x.co.uk); during my ('ahem') testing whilst getting the SD cards setup, I found no problem with the stick. Did notice there is another stick inside the box with (I think) text on it "GP2X"? - but haven't bothered changing to use it..

Maybe the stick (un)popularity is dependant on what games you tend to play?

As a side not - his Mk2 had a sheet of film on it (slightly larger than the screen) - I take it this was just for packing(?). I have seen many discussions on the screen protection, but can't see any other film on the screen - I guess it's there though and I can chuck the packing film...?

And another note - looks to me (during the _very_ short time I have been on these boards) that JagMS is indeed some form of troll.. Why does someone frequent a forum concerning something he doesn't own? If indeed he has a GP32, I would think he should be spending more time on that area of the board unless he's asking questions with the mind to purchase a 2x..
(Never mind, I find it amusing reading all the responses to his posts :D)

Kev

I cannot stay in the GP32 forum because so many idiots post GP2X threads in it :/

I cannot stay in the GP32 forum because so many idiots post GP2X threads in it :/
And, of course, it's important for you to comment on everything incase we never find out your opinion on the matter.

Edit: Hang on... your comment doesn't even make any sense
Most active in: General GP2X talk
( 93 posts / 48% of this member's active posts )
Go figure

I find the MK2 stick fixes the issues for me, it isn't just rotated it also has the deadzone reduced.

I can now play Battle Squadron as well as i can on the real MD.

If you have an MK1 stick you should try the MK2 before saying GPH need to redesign the board (there isn't enough money to do that and as i've said - the Dpad is patented, it can't be used)

That is just not true. If it was then there could be no d-pad on the Megadrive, Lynx, Game Gear, Nomad, PC-Engine, PSX, Dreamcast, 3DO, Saturn, PSP, on and on. It is only the SHAPE that is patented (crosskey) that is it. You can have a d-pad on the GP2X it just can't be the "plus" design.

The stick on the M2 is useable and is not THAT bad, but a pad would be better.

I agree, in the short amount of time I have been using my GP2X, I've thought that a d-pad would've been a better control option than the stick. However, this may because I was primarily playing SNES, NES, genesis emus and a d-pad just seems more natural. The stick may be more "authentic" for the older emus.

I could understand if GPH can't afford to make any sort of revision to the GP2X, at least not yet due to the PCB changes involved. But what about a modification that doesn't require PCB alterations like Radek's d-pad 'kit' but something that'd work through the existing hole for the stick? Something similar not requiring soldering or cutting of the faceplate. Mass-produced by GPH, it'd become standard fast like DaveC's cap did, making a standard improved control scheme easier to develop for at the very least...

Oh, and they did have the money to produce quite a number of these breakout boxes based on a community design (Techfreak's apparently) and they seem to be quite high quality. This costs money..

Also, yes.. I'd like to reiterate that it is NOT illegal to use a directional pad-- or just about every game console would be a patent violation. Just don't use Nintendo's exact shape. Rounder designs are better for diagnol presses anyway ...

Back