Closer To The Final Replacement Of Stick

kablammyman posted on Jul 1 2006 at 06:59 PM said:
Wow...I read all 18 pages!

Is there any updates? I cant wait to get this mod! :)

I can not make any updates because as I can not improve (using available to me means) it further. Only one thing what I'm going to do is to make the converter circuit what would fit MKII.

The final mod looks like:
c101pl.jpg

For a mod I will ship first complete kits in Monday to some person.
And I'm searching for a LCD replacement now for my poor MKI.
Some people got converter samples already.

I will have to make an apropriate instruction for it. Just condensing a info from this thread in some less pages than 18. ;)
Few pages of PDF file should be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
X-Code posted on Jul 1 2006 at 06:31 PM said:
That is looking quite brilliant, nice work Radek B)
Yes. Very nice work. I will definitely want that. :)

I'd totally hit that. But, uh... I'd like to see some reviews of it first, so I'll wait until it has been tested by more people.

But if it works well, then I'd totally hit that.

Magnulus posted on Jul 1 2006 at 08:31 PM said:
I'd totally hit that. But, uh... I'd like to see some reviews of it first, so I'll wait until it has been tested by more people.

You will get reviews first of course! As I'm confident in this mod I don't impose it's perfect. That's why I'm going to send samples first.
(converter parts are already in some persons' hands)

Radek posted on Jul 1 2006 at 12:23 PM said:
For a mod I will ship first complete kits in Monday to some person.

Is that person going to mod people's GP2Xs for them, for a fee, or is he just selling them as kits?

Radek posted on Jul 1 2006 at 06:45 PM said:
Magnulus posted on Jul 1 2006 at 08:31 PM said:

You will get reviews first of course! As I'm confident in this mod I don't impose it's perfect. That's why I'm going to send samples first.

Any news on this? I am kind of interested in buying a kit. I would only need the logic circuit and the QD D-pad and membranes. I can hack it together with some parts I make to mount the pad. I am thinking of a lathe made spacer that will precisely locate and center the d-pad etc.

grahf posted on Jul 5 2006 at 01:39 PM said:
I had an n-gage qd, i thought the pad was great. Buttons stunk on it though, but that doesnt matter much here.
Had? You don't still?

DaveC posted on Jul 5 2006 at 11:21 AM said:

Any news on this? I am kind of interested in buying a kit. I would only need the logic circuit and the QD D-pad and membranes. I can hack it together with some parts I make to mount the pad. I am thinking of a lathe made spacer that will precisely locate and center the d-pad etc.
I admire your skill at machining such small parts (I don't have the skill, I only took Machine Shop for one semester), but the machined spacer will likely not be a solution for everyone.

I re-iterate what I have been saying since I got my First Edition in December, the circuit board is not accurately captured by the case, but can be straightened. I have a MK2 right now and it has the same shifted motherboard problem that the First Edition had, I am tempted to borrow a camera and post pictures, but my MK2 stick hits the Left side of the joystick surround.

I am able to both recognize and fix this problem by shifting the motherboard, but if you fully machined, or mass-produced a molded plug, you would have many unhappy people as the process of getting the motherboard centered is very fiddly and I have trouble with it.

Just be aware, as you probably are already, that the motherboard can shift before you go machining and do something to account for it, it is a fairly large shift on my MK2 which would make a drop-in plug difficult.

grahf posted on Jul 5 2006 at 05:19 PM said:
Had? You don't still?
Nope :( I switched to a sidekick/hiptop. It was a great phone if you have the data service.

I actually just want one for Rifts. A monthly cell bill would be a waste of money to me.

nubie posted on Jul 5 2006 at 11:30 PM said:

I admire your skill at machining such small parts (I don't have the skill, I only took Machine Shop for one semester), but the machined spacer will likely not be a solution for everyone.

I re-iterate what I have been saying since I got my First Edition in December, the circuit board is not accurately captured by the case, but can be straightened. I have a MK2 right now and it has the same shifted motherboard problem that the First Edition had, I am tempted to borrow a camera and post pictures, but my MK2 stick hits the Left side of the joystick surround.

If I got a kit I would crack open my "beater unit" and look at what can be done. I haven't messed with it yet as I don't have any logic converter.

If the MB can be moved there may be a way to move it into the correct position with some sort of shim or jig.

If my spacer turned out to be good I would make them for Radek to include in his kit. It is his project and I am not going to get in his way. While I am not going to cut into his project but I may be able to help it. I would even be willing to give him the dimensions of the spacer and he could have them made himself cheaper if he wanted doesn't matter to me. I am not out to make money just to make a good alternative control method that can be made available to everyone that wants it.

If it turns out well maybe it could be installed by Craig or EvilDragon too. Craig made a mold for his cap, maybe he could make the spacers cheap too. Doesn't matter to me where they come from.

Maybe Radek already has a good solution so I wouldn't need to mess with a spacer myself.

Again this all speculation as I will have to buy a kit first.

I have a plan but still some formal dilemmas to overcome.
Sorry but I'm hardly conscious now as I should go to sleep some 5 hours ago...
(coding can be damn addictive especially if there are results)

I will answer questions and I'm willing to cooperate. But now I...

Does the kit work with other D-pads? I wish I wouldn't have trashed my old N-gage now. lol. It was a demo unit I salvaged from a store after the hurricane.

DaveC posted on Jul 5 2006 at 06:43 PM said:
nubie posted on Jul 5 2006 at 11:30 PM said:

If I got a kit I would crack open my "beater unit" and look at what can be done. I haven't messed with it yet as I don't have any logic converter.

If the MB can be moved there may be a way to move it into the correct position with some sort of shim or jig.

If my spacer turned out to be good I would make them for Radek to include in his kit. It is his project and I am not going to get in his way. While I am not going to cut into his project but I may be able to help it. I would even be willing to give him the dimensions of the spacer and he could have them made himself cheaper if he wanted doesn't matter to me. I am not out to make money just to make a good alternative control method that can be made available to everyone that wants it.

If it turns out well maybe it could be installed by Craig or EvilDragon too. Craig made a mold for his cap, maybe he could make the spacers cheap too. Doesn't matter to me where they come from.

Maybe Radek already has a good solution so I wouldn't need to mess with a spacer myself.

Again this all speculation as I will have to buy a kit first.
True, I didn't even think of a shim, two brains ARE better than one :).

I agree that the goal is to make a good control alternative available.

tshroom posted on Jul 6 2006 at 12:41 AM said:
Does the kit work with other D-pads? I wish I wouldn't have trashed my old N-gage now. lol. It was a demo unit I salvaged from a store after the hurricane.
I don't know if you have read this topic, but the whole point behind his work here, IS TO MAKE ANY 4-BUTTON MOD POSSIBLE.

So Yes, it will work with any D-Pad that has 4 buttons, and Radek can likely program any other need into his chips :).

How about you guys just buy the replacement buttonpads for the QD. I know they used to sell them for my N-Gage.

Back