Gp2x Is Going On G@mers

The Mole

Hello,

I come here with a bit of news, UK gaming show g@mers is set to showcase the GP2X and the producer of the show is looking for some infromation on the specs (wants to make sure everything is right) as well as what games/emus/apps shoulds be showcased in the review.

I would be grateful for some suggestions of what to show and an offical specs list as well as everything the console can do.

For those of you that have not seen it g@mers is on Tueasdays at 9:00PM and is rerun Thursdays and Sundays. For those outside of the Uk you can watch the show live online at www.rapturetv.com

Cheers

Mole

PS we will have the updated model to review.

We also maybe looking for somebody to come into the studio to give a demo (but i will have to clear that with the producer first). Would anybody in the London area be willing to do that?

What date?

Specs list and all sorts of other info can be found here: GP2X info page on the Wiki.

A few good things to show would be the Payback demo, DrMDx (MegaDrive emulator), GNUBoy2x (GB/GBC emulator), Doom/Quake and some of the good-quality homebrew games such as TileMatch and Beat2X.

everything nickspoon said.

check craig's review: http://craig.gp2x.de/review/GP2XReview.html for lots of good, accurate information as well as a showcase of what's good on gp2x.

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1402
reesy's hack of squidgesnes runs beautifully. super mario world is great on it. you should use NTSC/USA roms with it though as that's what it expects.

lots of great games for gngeo (neo geo emulator) with impressive graphics.

there's some great interpreters for dos classics like "another world", "flashback", "commander keen"...scummvm for playing games like "loom" and "monkey island".

and don't forget vektar (it should come pre-loaded on your unit)!

tv-out might make your time in the studio a little easier. but definitely make sure you try everything out and get it all working smoothly before you tape! as the software comes from a community of separate coders, sometimes you need to check the readmes and whatnot.

good luck!

edit: i'm trying to watch a stream from rapturetv and it says uk only... :(

maybe Craig could do that? i mean, if it means promoting the GP2'x capabilities im sure he'd like that ^^ he could get them to mention his site as where to buy it :p </idea>

I contacted craig a while back on the caj (a uk term) but heard nothing so got the impression he was not interested.

G@mers rates very well for Rapture and is only behind Full Metal Alchamist in the ratings on the channel (and even then its very close).

G@mers plans to record the GP2x bit very soon i will let you guys know well in advance when it will go out.

Thanks for your suggestions, i knew the community would not let me down :D

thelamer posted on May 11 2006 at 10:16 PM said:
Someone should send them a pre-built sd card with all the goodies on it .
What about you SD monsterpack .torrent?

Last edited by a moderator:
The facts to be careful of are:

- Battery life: it's not bad, but you *need* the right batteries, or expect only half an hour (good alkalines)
- CPU speed: they're guaranteed to clock to 200MHz. CriagIX says he's never yet found one which doesn't work at 240MHz - more than that is stretching the truth, unless you say not everyone can go that fast.

Easily the two most mis-quoted facts in the GP2x publicity, although common knowlege around here these days, I think. Otherwise... I wouldn't mention the PSX emu, just in case someone at Sony sees it; might make them nervous, and nervous multinationals are a bad thing. And I wouldn't mention GBA emulation because whilst it exists, it sorta sucks.

Do show them Payback, though, and of course Vektar... what else? Tilematch and maybe that virtual novel proggy?

The Mole posted on May 11 2006 at 05:22 PM said:
Hello,

I come here with a bit of news, UK gaming show g@mers is set to showcase the GP2X and the producer of the show is looking for some infromation on the specs (wants to make sure everything is right) as well as what games/emus/apps shoulds be showcased in the review.

My recommendations:

Emus:

DRMD,
GNGeo (especially this emu, load up a KOF game and a shooter like Viewpoint) If you use sound, edit the config file put sound to "true" and sample rate to 11025 KHz, then knock em dead.
OutcaST Atari ST emu,
MAME
C64, Atari 800

Homebrew:

Vektar, Payback demo

Ports:

Doom, Wolf 3D, Duke Nukem, Exult, ScummVM

Oh and get either one of my joystick caps (see sig) or the ones from Craig. The stock ones suck and will have the reviewer pissing tacks and breathing fire as soon as he tries to play something.

craigix posted on May 12 2006 at 05:18 AM said:
I may do this show, but london is such a long way to come. I assume the PR company custard contacted you?

I am not 100% sure how it came about. I do not work on g@mers, I just help out with research/info/comments on the show, where i can. As you can imagine, we are doing E3 specials at the moment and i am not sure if the plan is to feature the GP2x before or after those.

I think its unfair to ask you to travel down from Newcastle Craig, i also live in Newcastle and have not been down to Rapture (even though i have been invited several times) as im just so busy with Uni stuff at the moment (well i was its done now).

I was hoping to get somebody from London, or close buy who knows a bit about the console and is willing to come in and say how great it is.

Cheers for the info

Will pass it onto Jason

Just had an e-mail from the producer, he was contacted by Custard and said send a couple of consoles for review but heard nothing...

He is trying to chase them up about it.

Got the GP2X through today and will be recording the episode with the review on Friday. So far i am facing a battle trying to convince the producer that the machine is a very good and worthy bit of kit...

Back