Gp2x Discussion On Bbc Radio 6 Music

I'm sure some students dont have a TV either, but I doubt they pay tax.
Yes we do. Everybody pays tax.
Well i think it's just that icurafu doesnt understand the tv licensing fees.

Funding the bbc isnt tax per se but its a license that everyone who owns a tv has to pay for. If you don't own a tv then you don't have to pay and if you only own a black and white tv then you don't have to pay as much.

Thanks, I'll just assume that you have a complicated system for funding government tv, rather then the simple, taken-from-the-media-budget, and maybe socially less responsible system that Australia and America has.

edit: btw, by socially less responsible, I mean the rich pay more and the poor pay less. ;) Which is the way income tax and the GST is designed. Rather then most people paying the same "licensing fee" for a service the government obviuosly considers essential.

By essential, I mean the government assumes that everyone with a TV must be watching it, as it is essential to being a good UK minded person. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The BBC would never call Israel evil, therefore that information has not been empirically observed.  The data from the TV may be recieved through the senses but what we feel it means comes from us.
What were you talking about? I assumed before you were referring to this (quite witty) and accurate line:
actually, if you dont say "in my opinion" its quite rude, because it looks like you speak for everyone else in the world
Surely that's your opinion, though. And because you haven't stated that it's your opinion, by your own rules you're being quite rude...

but perhaps you meant the whole thing. If so, it's not important that it's just opinion (we know that anyway), since it wasn't taras that complained about the not stating "it's my opinion" thing.

Amazing that people are actually jailed, quite sad really.

not only jailed, but then having a criminal record can lead to a lot of other problems.

As far as the BBC being wonderful, I was refering to the quality and content of it when compared to the shit that is TV here in the States, in fact, we get several hundred choices of shit, but nothing all that great.

perhaps viewing from afar, you get to see the best of the BBC, but believe me, they make just as much crap as any other major TV network.

This is aside from that fact that UK'ers have to fund it, but every month I pay my cable bill, and I'm sure a portion of that bill goes to the BBC from my cable provider, however small it may be. Of which I'm sure it doesn't lessen the amount UK'ers pay.

the problem with the BBC is that it exists in a market of free to air channels, but to get those channels, uk residents must pay for the BBC.

Just for an example, how much do you have to pay per year for the BBC, and is this price based on household income or anything? Just curious.

the BBC rakes in £2.5 billion every year and every TV owning household in the uk must pay £126 of that, maters not if you earn £10,000 a week or are on the minimum wage.

as you may gather, this has a bad effect on those that need TV the most. i.e. the poor and retired, although you do get the BBC for free once you reach 70 years of age.

I'm surprised that after all these years, no one made a set top box to block out the BBC channels though!

you think they never tried?....

Sky
Sky Digital
On Digital, now BBC Freeview ( :D )
Cable
Mobile Phones
PC's internet etc
Video Recorders

just a few of the many forms of getting TV channels with out the need to have the BBC, but laws are changed/changing to make it necesary to still pay for the BBC.

i.e. the BBC will have/has content on the above.

As a non UK person, I watch BBC World News.

The alternative is Fox News or CNN world news for getting world news, so its good to have something of quality. But I'm sure I'm paying something indirectly, because more then 50% of the transmission is adverts.

i view Sky News (it is acknowleged as the best uk news provider) as it is much better than BBC news with even the BBC's head of Television News saying last november "Sky News, remains the first port of call for 'key opinion formers'"

So be proud that you're paying for the BBC to grow and by doing so, saving the world from American news/propaganda.

I could never be proud of a service that criminalises those that can least afford it, just so the BBC can then get plaudits from those over seas who do not risk criminalisation for simply not wanting to fund the BBC.

Next you'll be saying that people should be exempt from paying tax for roads, parks and esential services just because you choose not to use them.

it don't work like that. tax is based on what you can afford to pay. the BBC is funded at the same price by all.

i.e. those on benefit, low paid or on a basic pension have to pay the same as a millionaire. The forced subscription of the BBC is wrong, end of.....

Gah! Poobik, could you post once and say everything you want to say, then use the edit button to say something different? It would make my day.

And also, yeah, BBC stuff is wrong, but what are you going to do? What's that? Complain here and hope something will happen? That never got anyone anywhere! You could always e-mail the Prime Minister :)

i view Sky News (it is acknowleged as the best uk news provider) as it is much better than BBC news with even the BBC's head of Television News saying last november "Sky News, remains the first port of call for 'key opinion formers'"

hmmm. ALL mainstream tv news is very heavily controlled and propagandised. i didn't use to believe it (or want to believe it, "surely not the good old bbc? they can't be lying?"), but i research this sh*t, and it's absolutely mind boggling.

anyway. you're a hare. why would an animal with big floppy ears be bothered about tv news? :p

as you may gather, this has a bad effect on those that need TV the most. i.e. the poor and retired, although you do get the BBC for free once you reach 70 years of age.
What the fuck?
I was wondering about that comment too...

BTW (and back to topic) I just finally listened to the BBC doumentary. Great stuff, what a good place to get some positive publicity at last! Although I suspect that it went by largely unregistered by Phil Jupiter's audience..

BTW (and back to topic) I just finally listened to the BBC doumentary. Great stuff, what a good place to get some positive publicity at last! Although I suspect that it went by largely unregistered by Phil Jupiter's audience..
Well, it depends on how people listen to it. I habitually listen to BBC Radio 6 every morning while I'm having my breakfast (fascinating personal details, eh?). I don't tune in especially to catch the Tuesday tech news, that's for sure - why bother when you've got websites to read?

For the casual listener, however, it might well have piqued their curiosity enough to take a look. If I didn't already have a GP32 and (when they finally return it) a GP2X, I'd certainly have had a glance at the website.

I'm guessing that most people that listen to the station do so over DAB radio, which implies that the listener has at least some interest in newer technology, as digital radio's not fully mainstream yet.

hmmm. ALL mainstream tv news is very heavily controlled and propagandised. i didn't use to believe it (or want to believe it, "surely not the good old bbc? they can't be lying?"), but i research this sh*t, and it's absolutely mind boggling.

anyway. you're a hare. why would an animal with big floppy ears be bothered about tv news? :p

world shortage of carrots perhaps ;-)

What the fuck?
what is wrong with that?
They are the people who do not have much money and therefore cannot afford much in the way of other forms of entertainment such as cinema trips, DVD rentals, meals out etc. They have books (public libraries), radio (free), and TV (flat tax).

The BBC provides a great service imo, from it's radio stations to it's amazing website to producing some great television. I do however agree it should be funded through progressive taxation instead of a flat tax on all those with a tv.

And just because Sky news is the fastest station to get the news doesnt mean it's the best. It is the most blatantly politically biased of the UK based news networks and consistently tries to stir up tensions. I wouldnt want to watch Murdoch's channel as much as I don't want to read The Sun.

Back