Gp2x On G@mers

nickspoon

vultum stultum habes
Website
Visit site
The RaptureTV show G@mers 'reviewed' the GP2X yesterday. Needless to say, like nearly every other review, it wasn't very good.

It wasn't really a review, more of an interview with Jono Bacon, who is some Linux guy with this awesome beard, but anyway.

It was clear Jono didn't have a good play with the GP2X at all - he mainly went on about how the GP32 looked like it was made in a garage and that the GP2X was for developers only. He somewhat confusingly said it could play Windows and Mac games, but I have been informed that he in fact meant ports.

Apparently there were two PR guys standing off-screen making sure everything was correct, which they didn't do a very good job of.

Not a very good 'review', I just hope those who watch it research, because it was very uninformative. The people at G@mers said they'd have a proper review next week, so we will see.

Thread on the subject at RaptureTV

PS: I only watched half of it because the stream messed up.

That's quite an interesting article, i'll be looking into who was 'in the room' since it was us who indeed supplied the console.

oh yeah and some of the replies about the UK marketing are very ill informed too.

Oooh, I dont think people should be flooding over to insult the Rapture guys... sure not all the info was accurate, but if you piss them off for featuring the GP2X, how likely are they to want to talk about it again.

Oooh, I dont think people should be flooding over to insult the Rapture guys... sure not all the info was accurate, but if you piss them off for featuring the GP2X, how likely are they to want to talk about it again.
We don't expect perfection, but we expect a reasonable attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's quite an interesting article, i'll be looking into who was 'in the room' since it was us who indeed supplied the console.

oh yeah and some of the replies about the UK marketing are very ill informed too.

Hello Craig,

Well something is strange then, if you werent the one there who was? Look what the guys there said about this :

Do you work for the company behind the GP2x in the UK? No? Dindn't think so, otherwise you would know that we had the two people responsible for doing all the UK PR/ Marketing on the console in the studio checking what we were saying about the machine.

As stated Jono was supplied by the company that makes the console.

Jono, who came on the show is a respected Linux journalist chosen by the GP2X people themselves.

Also, two people from GP2X were in the room watching the piece being shot, and didn't have anything to say about what was said, so if they didn't know - how the hell are we s'possed to?

Two people from gp2x? This whole thing look more and more strange.

Maybe you can elight all of us, that would be great!

Yeah, I assumed that Craig was a distributor - though his buisness transactions about also being in Marketing was probably mal-researched.

I am also interested to hear the entire story, all we've heard are the whiny ramblings of Jason... and that got really old after he started to defend the show, rather than just saying in a modest sort of way "sorry."

I am incharge of all the UK marketing and we use Custard PR to handle some of it, i've no idea who the 2 people were, as far as I know there were no 2 people watching, unless some people from Custard felt like an afternoon off and went to watch.

I know G@mers contacted us asking for a GP2X and we gave them one to review (or we asked Custard to handle it), they asked if I would go on the show but I didn't want to for various reasons...

So it is quite a mystery what went on exactly. Oh well, sounds like typical clueless TV presenters to me, i'm working on getting the BBC's Click to do a reveiw as they are usually much more informed.

Want something done right... :angry:
*sighs*

It's not that hard - this is not rocket science. My cousin loves the machine.

I am incharge of all the UK marketing and we use Custard PR to handle some of it, i've no idea who the 2 people were, as far as I know there were no 2 people watching, unless some people from Custard felt like an afternoon off and went to watch.

I know G@mers contacted us asking for a GP2X and we gave them one to review (or we asked Custard to handle it), they asked if I would go on the show but I didn't want to for various reasons...

So it is quite a mystery what went on exactly. Oh well, sounds like typical clueless TV presenters to me, i'm working on getting the BBC's Click to do a reveiw as they are usually much more informed.

Hello Craig,

Yah this is what I though so, I know you did alot to promote the GP32 in the past and now the GP2X, but then in the show they were mentionning that the people in charge of the marketing were there. But you confirm you werent there, so it could be the firm you are using for some PR. Just think it would have been better if someone not clueless was there, like the old proverb says "your better serve by yourself".

I hope next review will not be as bad as this one, we need good positive review to spread the words around ;-).

Kepp up the good works!

Want something done right... :angry:
*sighs*

It's not that hard - this is not rocket science. My cousin loves the machine.

I think all your family is interested in the GP2X ;-), I saw your video on youtube even before I saw your post on the forums hehehe! Yah I check often there to see if some one post some new GP2X video clips. You have left your daughter the honor on onwrapping the whole thing hehehe! I think it will be good to see how children react to the GP2X compare to let say a Nintendo DS, Gameboy Advance.

I think all your family is interested in the GP2X ;-), I saw your video on youtube even before I saw your post on the forums hehehe! Yah I check often there to see if some one post some new GP2X video clips. You have left your daughter the honor on onwrapping the whole thing hehehe! I think it will be good to see how children react to the GP2X compare to let say a Nintendo DS, Gameboy Advance.
Heh, yeah she got a kick out of that. I came home real late from work and showed her a new skin I downloaded as the screen protector (measure & cut out - one-size fits all for PDA's) makes the default skin even more cumbersome to read. She keeps commenting how good the screen is, how much louder the GP2X can be (not sure if she understand stereo, but she's said it sounds way better) than her GBA.

4gig card arrives tomorrow. Then I'm going to get a load of games on. She doesn't care for Quake, Beats of Rage, or any game that doesn't involve strategy (and gives time to do so). Except Diablo 2, but I think partly that's because she can play with her old man.

But I digress, terribly.

Well, it seems like someone really dropped the ball on that one . . . hopefully they will fix that before the review.

Heh, yeah she got a kick out of that. I came home real late from work and showed her a new skin I downloaded as the screen protector (measure & cut out - one-size fits all for PDA's) makes the default skin even more cumbersome to read. She keeps commenting how good the screen is, how much louder the GP2X can be (not sure if she understand stereo, but she's said it sounds way better) than her GBA.

Thats good ;-), we have to teach our children the good thing when they are young before they learn some bad habits ehehe! And like the old proverb says "the truth come from the mouth of children" ;-). But that true the screen really look good from all the video I saw around. As for the sound, well I always prefero to plug the headphone to not bother other people around ;-), this is what I am doing on my GP32.

4gig card arrives tomorrow. Then I'm going to get a load of games on. She doesn't care for Quake, Beats of Rage, or any game that doesn't involve strategy (and gives time to do so). Except Diablo 2, but I think partly that's because she can play with her old man.

But I digress, terribly.

Ah ok, that why you post in another thread you were looking form some strategy games ;-), well I am sure you can find several of them from the different emulator. We might even have some native one too!

Hopefully in a few years ill be able to do the same with my childrens (dont have one yet, but my wife and I are planning to have one around next years). By that time maybe ill have to run the GP4X ;-).

Though I didn't like the fact at their boards that someone said "the distributors don't know anything about the machine"... which might be right for LikSang or PlayAsia, but I guess craig and me do know quite a lot about the gp2x ;)

Hello guys,

It is not my position to tell you guys what happened but i do know the full story and while it seams like it was the fault of the show it was in fact not. I know it’s easy for me to say this without anything to back it up but you will just have to trust me on that one.

Members of the g@mers team are not best pleased with the reaction, as they had the interview oked by the reps in the studio. The general opinion is its not worth covering the console anymore as they don't get this sort of insulting reaction and trouble from Sony, Microsoft or anybody else (but this) for that matter.

I am hoping i can convince then to give it another shot but i am going to let it cool down before i suggest anything. I am quite frankly disgraced at some of the comments that i have seen from you guys.

EvilDragon - I know the people on here know their stuff but even more so you and Craig.

What you guys seam to forget is not everybody knows the GP2X inside out, i am 100% convinced that the team thought they were doing what was right for the console. it was a shock for them and even i started laying into them, however my opinion changed after hearing what went on...

Back