Gp2x Emulator For Windows

Stefanau

Still Fresh
Hi guys :)

I was wondering if it was possible to download a gp2x emulator for windows, has anyone heard of something like that?

If you are talking about emulating GP2X on a windows machine, than no, there isn't such an emulator, but if you ment if you can run windows on the GP2X, someone mnaged to run Windows 95 on GP2X, but it was so slow and not usable, they did it only as a proof of concept.

Actually Squidge there, has done some work on a GP2X emulator, hence is answer, but it's not playable yet. IIRC it almost finishes booting to the menu...

I'd also like an emulator for dev purposes, but unless Squidge is not telling us something, I don't think we will see anything for a while.

norm said:
a 2x emu for pc would be awsome
Yeah I am biding my time waiting for a chance to play all of my PC ports on a GP emulator in windoze. :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

PS, "windows" is not involved in emulating anything. If you want Virtual PC, it is a free program from Microsoft that allows a virtual PC in a window to run older operating systems. B)

I am not kidding here, please explain to me the joy of a GP2X emulator. AFAIK 95% of the stuff released for the 2X is ported from the PC anyway (or ported from another handheld after it was ported from the PC).

If you want a fun mini-game, just ask the dev for a port of his Fenix or Java or x11 or SDL app.

Well, that is enough ranting, bye for now :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
I am not kidding here, please explain to me the joy of a GP2X emulator. AFAIK 95% of the stuff released for the 2X is ported from the PC anyway
1. That 5% stuff is great stuff :)
2. Dev purposes, why set up a PC compile target for?

1. People like to see how everything fits together & what works before they buy a 2x. It's hard to get a feel for a system from just screen shots & reviews.

2. People could still port & develop for the 2x, without actually buying one or relying on others to do the testing.
e.g. The devs for Mplayer could help with development if they wanted to & it wouldn't cost them anything.

3. It would make a lot more people aware of the 2x system in general, which could bring new artists, modellers, sound engineers etc.

4. It would just be cool :D

nubie said:
If you want a fun mini-game, just ask the dev for a port of his Fenix...app.
All the Fenix apps I've played with so far work fine on PC as they are (using the appropriate runtimes, of course). It's a handy check to see if it's my GP2X playing up or not, if there are problems.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
1. It's hard to get a feel for a system from just screen shots & reviews.
i'd say it's imposable to get the feel for a hand held through the use of an emu on a pc

Tripmonkey_uk said:
2. People could still port & develop for the 2x, without actually buying one or relying on others to do the testing.
e.g. The devs for Mplayer could help with development if they wanted to & it wouldn't cost them anything.
prob the only reason to use a 2x emu on a PC

Tripmonkey_uk said:
3. It would make a lot more people aware of the 2x system in general, which could bring new artists, modellers, sound engineers etc.
and how would it do that?
the only reason people would be interested in an emu of a handheld (gameboy) would be to play all the games they could download for it, and the 2x is lacking games.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
can see it now.....

look johny a 2x emu on my pc.

neet, what can it do.

erm............

WOW thats so cool, an emu that does nothing.

look johny a 2x emu on my pc.

neet, what can it do.

erm............

WOW thats so cool, an emu that does nothing.

You got that kinda wrong, it should be:

neet, what can it do.

erm............ it'll emulate emulators that were originally on the PC, and ported to the GP2X. Oh, and it runs at a 1/3 of the speed of an original GP2X too.

WOW! Gotta get me some of that!

There's an awesome Nethack port on the GP2x that'd be nice when it's playable on a PC.. Got to love that interface of it.. :)

i got an old dell latitude laptop thats runs everything from gba to zx spectrum emulators,,,but i would like it to have all the gp2x stuff running on it as my hands get cramped after 30 mins or more playing on the gp2x....

Tripmonkey_uk said:
1. People like to see how everything fits together & what works before they buy a 2x. It's hard to get a feel for a system from just screen shots & reviews.

I think you are missing the point, if we knew the system well enough to emulate it, we would have full-speed everything.

Most everyone's favorite apps are just SDL, just use SDL for windows and change the render and input targets to a PC window and keyboard/gamepad.

A GP2X emulator is silly, people can write their program for SDL or Fenix or X11 without a GP2X, and the very things they would need a GP for wouldn't be emulated, namely hardware quirks that prevent a game from running quickly.

AKA a GP2X emulator that was 100% isn't technically available.

Possibly an SDL "converter" that renders to a window and takes a gamepad input and feeds it to the sdl "GP2X input"

But it would be pointless.

I wouldn't say that a DS emulator will tell me anything about using a DS Lite, that is just silly.

If you want to see what the GP2X does, get some PC emulators and run them un-scaled at 320x240, then imagine that 40 pounds lighter in your hand.

nubie said:
Most everyone's favorite apps are just SDL, just use SDL for windows and change the render and input targets to a PC window and keyboard/gamepad.
That's no use for a lot of things. Care to tell me how I can 'just use SDL for windows' when developing Open2x? What about a library I want to use to handle input in my game? Raw ARM code? Dangerous programs like the NAND eraser or new bootloaders?
Not that I expect a GP2X emulator to appear, but it would be useful if such a thing did exist :)

Back