Dreamcast & Psx Emulator

spyhunter

Still Fresh
Has anyone created or testing a Dreamcast emulator for the GP2X Yet?

And has anyone actually got any games running on the PSX4ALL EMulator (Playstation) at full speed? Surely the cpu's of the GP2X can handle an older PSX system?

you must understand that you are emulating hardware through software; this is why emulation in general is so difficult.

Dreamcast emu's chug on PC's; do you honestly think a handheld would be capable of emulating it? you will NEVER see dreamcast emulated on any current gen portable.

I have not tried PSX on gp2x, but many games are apparently playable, though not nearly fullspeed.

edit: sp

I'm running Chancast on my computer and I have a lot of dreamcast games running full speed, and I have an old computer. Now, I don't know if it'll ever happen for the GP2X, but most dreamcast games use only a small portion of it's resources, so we might be able to get a few games at least playable. But then again, I don't know all that much about emulation so... yeah :)

There is still not a decent running DC emulator for 3Ghz PC's with dx9 video, so 250Mhz handheld with no 3d is impossible on many many levels. so that was the "hahahaha". I agree that dreamcast was a fabulous console, with a great ratio of great/bad games. it died before its time. I've said this before:

- Dreamcast had the most amazing launch lineup ever!
- Dreamcast represented the biggest leap in console generations ever. The diff between PSX & N64 to DC was bigger than any other console intro. Compare the crappy Madden titles to NFL2K, and a Tekken game to Soul Cailbur if you're tempted to disagree with me, or Mario 64 to Sonic Adventure (gameplay notwithstanding).

OK - bye

A very old PC (Late P2 or P3 era) is much more powerful than GP2X, GP2X lacks several important things:

1) FPU: There is no native float point operations done on the hardware level, software that makes it possible consume a lot of resources.
2) 3D chip: This one is so important, even for non 3D games. P3 PCs had 64 MB vga cards, while our RAM is 64 MB
3)add any other reason you might think of here

ok ok - i think that answers my questions hehe

i was just getting excited at the thought of it on the gp2x!!!

Its just a sold my GBA and PSP and would of like to run PSX and GBA on it - though its not a bad thing if it doesn't, i only even played the arcade stuff on my PSP anyway so MAME on the GP2X is more than enough!!! along with stella, psx4all (sort of!), amiga and others....

i'm not complaining just getting a little excited at all these emus!! LOL

Just sold your PSP and want GBA and PSX emulation? You've got to be confused, because the PSP IS what you want for emulation of those 2 platforms. The GP2x may someday get there, but the PSP is already there. I also have the GP2x, so don't bother calling fanboy here. The PSP just has so much more of an audience, and thus so many more coders.

Its just a sold my GBA and PSP and would of like to run PSX and GBA on it - though its not a bad thing if it doesn't, i only even played the arcade stuff on my PSP anyway so MAME on the GP2X is more than enough!!! along with stella, psx4all (sort of!), amiga and others....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sold your PSP and want GBA and PSX emulation? You've got to be confused, because the PSP IS what you want for emulation of those 2 platforms. The GP2x may someday get there, but the PSP is already there. I also have the GP2x, so don't bother calling fanboy here. The PSP just has so much more of an audience, and thus so many more coders.

I just upgraded my psp to the new firmware that supports psx emulation. I made backups of all my psx games to try on it and every game worked pretty much perfect. I just wish the GP2X was able to do psx just as well, because I can't stand the ghosting on the psp screen. If you want a portable DC get a Treamcast haha.

- Dreamcast represented the biggest leap in console generations ever. The diff between PSX & N64 to DC was bigger than any other console intro. Compare the crappy Madden titles to NFL2K, and a Tekken game to Soul Cailbur if you're tempted to disagree with me, or Mario 64 to Sonic Adventure (gameplay notwithstanding).

I'd make a case for 'from NES to SNES'. ^_~ I do agree that the Dreamcast was a massive leap, though. I wasn't exceptionally wowed by the move from 16 bit to 32 bit. 3-D was interesting to me, but most of its 'wow' factor had been expended on me the first time I played Starfox anyway, and most early Playstation and Saturn titles were blocky and ugly; I far preferred my Mega Drive and SNES and their lovely 2-D graphics.

As for the next generation... I'm yet to really be taken aback by anything on the new wave of consoles. Games like Gears of War are impressive, but it's ultimately just a step from great graphics to greater ones, rather than from crap to good. If games as good looking and expansive as Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Final Fantasy XII can exist on this generation's consoles, then I really don't see the point in moving up. x_X

The first time I sat down and played Soul Calibur though...wow. Now that was a step forward. =P It made even games like Tekken III, that had previously seemed pretty impressive, look like ass. I tend to forget just how old it is, as it really doesn't look very dated even today...

Anyway, yeah, kind of off-topic. I'll shut up now.

With enough brute force, anything is possible. I just think that is is a matter of extreme overclocking and really unlocking the 2nd core. If you can offload video to the 2nd core, then maybe you can get some simple Saturn Games to work. However, the Saturn is very unlikely because if I remember correctly, it has somewhere around 8 processors.

I'd make a case for 'from NES to SNES'. ^_~ I do agree that the Dreamcast was a massive leap, though. I wasn't exceptionally wowed by the move from 16 bit to 32 bit. 3-D was interesting to me, but most of its 'wow' factor had been expended on me the first time I played Starfox anyway, and most early Playstation and Saturn titles were blocky and ugly; I far preferred my Mega Drive and SNES and their lovely 2-D graphics.

As for the next generation... I'm yet to really be taken aback by anything on the new wave of consoles. Games like Gears of War are impressive, but it's ultimately just a step from great graphics to greater ones, rather than from crap to good. If games as good looking and expansive as Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Final Fantasy XII can exist on this generation's consoles, then I really don't see the point in moving up. x_X

The first time I sat down and played Soul Calibur though...wow. Now that was a step forward. =P It made even games like Tekken III, that had previously seemed pretty impressive, look like ass. I tend to forget just how old it is, as it really doesn't look very dated even today...

Anyway, yeah, kind of off-topic. I'll shut up now.

right now, for the PS3 and Wii you have to imagine their graphics as bottom of the line. All they have right now are launch titles...and those never show off what a console can do. Wait until later in the consoles lives to judge.

right now, for the PS3 and Wii you have to imagine their graphics as bottom of the line. All they have right now are launch titles...and those never show off what a console can do. Wait until later in the consoles lives to judge.

Oh definitely. I have no doubt that games towards the end of the next gen's lifespan will look absolutely stellar. As I acknowledged, even now you've got stuff like Gears of War that is pretty damn impressive. The point I was making was a different one, though. It's not that I don't think that the new consoles will be technologically apt, but more just that I don't really see the point. The jump from 16-bit to 32-bit was necessary in order for console games to make the jump to 3-D. And the jump from 32-bit to 128-bit was substantial enough to justify making it, in that it made 3-D console games go from being ugly to pretty.

But as for the jump this generation... Maybe it's just that I'm old, and that I don't have very high standards when it comes to graphics, but with games as good looking as the late generation titles on the 128-bit consoles, I just really don't see the point in the step upwards. I just don't see why a game would ever need to look any better than, for example, Final Fantasy XII or Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. It's like having a chocolate chip cookie, and then carefully, laboriously lavishing it with chocolate sauce. It's both overkill, and a waste of time; eat the damn cookie already.

I remember during the Playstation era, I'd often find myself squinting at 3-D objects while playing and thinking, "My God, that looks ugly." That has never happened to me this generation. Seriously. And considering that better graphics mean bigger development costs and longer development periods, and considering that new hardware means time wasted getting to grips with it, I'd really rather that they just didn't bother.

Though I suppose I'm probably in a minority there. Most people seem pretty excited about the new consoles.

Has anyone created or testing a Dreamcast emulator for the GP2X Yet?

And has anyone actually got any games running on the PSX4ALL EMulator (Playstation) at full speed? Surely the cpu's of the GP2X can handle an older PSX system?

A Dreamcast is the same generation as the PS2 so there is no possibility that the GP2X will run it at all!

I remember during the Playstation era, I'd often find myself squinting at 3-D objects while playing and thinking, "My God, that looks ugly." That has never happened to me this generation. Seriously. And considering that better graphics mean bigger development costs and longer development periods, and considering that new hardware means time wasted getting to grips with it, I'd really rather that they just didn't bother.

There are things that are only starting to be implemented in newer 3D engines that always looked strange to me in their absence: motion blur is one, and HDR lighting is another. Also depth of field. In fact, the better the engines look, the more I notice whether or not these things are there. For instance, I was playing Gears of War at my friend's house in HD, and I found all of the sharply detalied scenery to be distracting...they should have tried to get stuff that's farther away out of the focal plane. I agree with you in that at a certain point you have developers busting their ass to make a game that only plays the same or worse than one with less realistic graphics. But the interesting thing, I think, is that it's easier to be more forgiving with older renders. The closer the engine gets to looking completely real, the more you realize certain things are missing.

Back