Gp2x Emulator For Windows

all the folks who think its pointless for a gp2x emu on are obviously not developers..

having an emu would make dev + debugging seriously 10,000 times easier.

just because you have an app in SDL doesnt mean you just recompile it for the gp2x and voila! instant gp2x app.

I have used the palm emulator extensively when I was developing games for my palm IIIex and Palm IIIc. It was part of the developers kit. Seriously handy. I looked all over for a gp2x emulator before making the decision to buy a gp2x. I wanted to see what software was available and about the level of the homebrew stuff before jumping in and deciding to develop for the thing. oh well...

Like Orkie said, you can't just cross-compile everything for PC. The best GP2X programs probably all use some GP2X specific code, if only optimized ARM assembly.

But, the only thing I think it'd be especially useful for is removing transfer times. Once your binaries are on GP2X it's as easy to start running it there as it would be on an emulator (by using telnet), and by the same token you can connect a debuger about as easily. At least I think you can, I haven't done it personally... And as Squidge pointed out, a GP2X emulator would be pretty slow, unless it was very optimized and running on a high end PC (64bit mode too). Course it'd be fun running an ARM->ARM->x86 dynarec chain but I think I'll pass.

Squidge said:
look johny a 2x emu on my pc.

neet, what can it do.

erm............

WOW thats so cool, an emu that does nothing.
You got that kinda wrong, it should be:

neet, what can it do.

erm............ it'll emulate emulators that were originally on the PC, and ported to the GP2X. Oh, and it runs at a 1/3 of the speed of an original GP2X too.

WOW! Gotta get me some of that!

well put squidge :D

actually, when i travel, sometimes its not practical to have my 2x with me. I can use a laptop however. Also, I have a few friends that are interested in the 2x but alas, they're across the continent and cannot use mine to test out. i see definite advantages to having it.

Last edited by a moderator:
freddykreuger666 said:
dev's plz use time to make something more useful, cos this is imo pointless, emulate an emulator ftw!
Strangely enough, it is the developers that would most benefit from this. Stop demanding, it gets you nowhere other than being disliked by those you rely on for your programs. Oh, and the GP2X can do other things besides run emulators you know.

freddykreuger666 said:
dev's plz use time to make something more useful, cos this is imo pointless, emulate an emulator ftw!
Thanks for the comment, but I think I'll continue to do whatever I feel like, unless you want to offer to pay me a wage? I think £50 per hour would be appropriate, what do you think?

:p
:D

Ok, maybe I'll accept £45 on hour, as long as it's not emulator work ;)

Honestly =), a dev decides if what he/she is doing is useful... If you make them do something they don't want to, you damn well better pay em well :D

Vimacs said:
you are selling yourself way to cheap!
I know, I'm just going on what I get paid at work, but I suppose that includes all the messing around with other stuff as well, and talking to other people about stuff that has nothing to do with the project your on just because it's more interesting :D

freddykreuger666 said:
dude plz stfu as you are not contributing something useful, cos your comment is imo pointless. emulate some reasoning!

A gp2x emulator would be tremendously useful for devs in developing the emulators that you seem to love so much, for example. Why do people think so restrained?

Back