Neogeo Cd Emulator

cd78

Website
www.craigdalyart.co.uk
Have just downloaded the Ngcd emulator from the archives and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on any games that are better/exclusive to the NeoGeoCD or if anybody has any recommendations that arent available on Fba2x or NeoGeo emulator?

Was the NeoCd just released as a cheaper version of the cartridge system?

Cheers B)

cd78 said:
Have just downloaded the Ngcd emulator from the archives and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on any games that are better/exclusive to the NeoGeoCD or if anybody has any recommendations that arent available on Fba2x or NeoGeo emulator?

Was the NeoCd just released as a cheaper version of the cartridge system?

Cheers B)
Most of the games are just CD versions of arcade games, one exclusive game I know of is Samurai Showdown RPG and there is a translation in the works. I don't know of any other exclusive games but there are very few.

Last edited by a moderator:
It ran full speed for me without sound, then when I enabled sound I noticed frames being skipped. Hopefully their will be a way to get neogeo cd games running at full speed with sound by the time the Samurai Showdown RPG translation is finished. I wounded if anyone will make a neogeo cd emu using Cyclone 68000. http://www.finalburn.com/mobile/index.html

Is this even using the MMU hack? I don't believe it is. Also other NeoGeo CD only games are Crossed Swords 2 and Ironclad.

NeoGeo CD games generally have badass soundtracks, which are re-compositions instead of just recordings of the cart track. Also a lot of them have cool extra features. It's a shame the loading times are so bad on the original hardware, but It would be cool to have a useable GP2x emulator.

The NeoCD emu is ancient (and dead). I think it was the first NeoGeo emu ported. GnGeo is much better although it is cart only obviously.

DaveC said:
The NeoCD emu is ancient (and dead). I think it was the first NeoGeo emu ported. GnGeo is much better although it is cart only obviously.
Who wants giant cd images when you can just use the smaller giant cart images? I've heard that neogeo cartridges were deliberately made larger than they needed to be, so they would seem like they must be better by being so big. I don't know how true it is, but I've heard it from several sources.

I remember seeing the neogeo in Kiddie City when it first came out and my jaw hit the floor when I saw the prices of the console and games. I couldn't believe the games were $200 and the system was like $750. At the time I wasn't much into games (there was a period from like 17-24 where I don't think I played games more than once a month for 15 minutes, too interested in girls) so I didn't really look much into it. I did think the graphics were really good looking though.

Chris

I wounded if anyone will make a neogeo cd emu using Cyclone 68000

I think it uses cyclone. At least notaz is credited in the readme.

grahf said:
NeoGeo CD games generally have badass soundtracks, which are re-compositions instead of just recordings of the cart track. Also a lot of them have cool extra features. It's a shame the loading times are so bad on the original hardware, but It would be cool to have a useable GP2x emulator.
Full Ack. But the GP2x Version is full useable. (At least I think so)

Wrong. It's updated 06.07.2008 just as the archive name said.

Yeah i thought it was a recent update...seems to be working fine for me, Last Blade and Metal Slug 2 are working fine without any graphics dump etc. Juts drag and drop..

Thanks for the info guys

christo930 said:
I've heard that neogeo cartridges were deliberately made larger than they needed to be, so they would seem like they must be better by being so big.
I seem to remember it was due to the large amount of copy protection that they added to the games, also I seem to remember reading that 1 300Mb cartridge had 100Mb of that space used as copy protection (could have been 1 of the Metal Slugs).

Is this even using the MMU hack? I don't believe it is. Also other NeoGeo CD only games are Crossed Swords 2 and Ironclad.

If the mmu hack were applied then would it be possible to have full speed with sound when clocked at 266?

that would be pretty cool

that would be pretty cool :pandora1: :gp2x :pandora2: gp32_console

Lurkio said:
I seem to remember it was due to the large amount of copy protection that they added to the games, also I seem to remember reading that 1 300Mb cartridge had 100Mb of that space used as copy protection (could have been 1 of the Metal Slugs).
How can you use 100MB of space for 'copy protection'. Copy protection is designed to stop people just dumping the game or making bootlegs (neither of which were prevented on those Neo Geo games which had it). It isn't something you can write as code. Not that there are cartridge-based Neo Geo games that are even 100MB anyway, they are labelled in megabits on the cases.

As for the size of the carts being inflated, no, not really. If you take one apart you will see that they are nice and full of ROMs (large 40 pin DIP things).

Orkie said:
How can you use 100MB of space for 'copy protection'.
Don't tell me you took it as being hard fact, it's just something that I seem to remember reading that's all. :rolleyes:

Orkie said:
Not that there are cartridge-based Neo Geo games that are even 100MB anyway, they are labelled in megabits on the cases.
That's why I used Mb (megabits) not MB (megabytes).

Lurkio said:
Don't tell me you took it as being hard fact, it's just something that I seem to remember reading that's all. :rolleyes:

Don't tell me you thought I assumed you were right, I was merely pointing out that what you read must have been rubbish :rolleyes:.

Lurkio said:
That's why I used Mb (megabits) not MB (megabytes).
Sorry, misread.

Back