Gp2x Demo Competition: 750$ prize money

Optimus posted on Aug 1 2006 at 11:52 AM said:
MadDog posted on Aug 1 2006 at 01:36 PM said:
You may want to pop a link to the demo site on your normal site, took me a while to find the link in this thread.

P.s. Who's done a demo? I've sent mine in, don't expect amazing things from it, only started it last week then got board. ;) Its got a voxel terrain so thought I would sent it in anyway.

Voxel landscape? COol! I'd like to see voxels in GP2X, tried twice in the past to code mine but never succeeded to make it work or look good :p

I've finished with my demo too. It's a very hurried work, two days before the deadline, though it has some nice 3d code. I was about to not contribute anything because I was too unmotivated and time was short, but before yesterday I decided to connect some parts and do something just for the contribution. Lol! I am sattisfied for two days of work. Nice to see there are also 5 other entries there.

Yer the voxel looks cool but is in c so could go quicker, it has a high oscillation in frame rate, seems to be just the nature of the way it works, which is a shame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everybody!

Just a quick note -- two entrants have had an issue where even repeated attempts to send their entry to my email address have failed. The other six (so far) had no trouble. If you don't see your entry go up on the web site within an hour or two, let me know in this thread or through a PM. Thanks!

sam fisher posted on Aug 1 2006 at 09:26 AM said:
It sounds like maybe the file size limit of either your, or their, email provider.
They were both very small files. I'm not asking for internet advice, so let's not go off on that subject, I'm just asking competitors to double check that I got their entry by looking at the web site.

Well, Brittish Summer Time is in effect at the moment, so we're an hour ahead of GMT - i.e. 23:59 GMT is at 00:59 BST. Either that or the other way around, but I'm fairly sure I'm right :)

I was just trying to write that here in germany (gmt+1) we have 01:49 AM meaning an hour back would be 0:49

But then I looked at your post again and that you're living in the UK and you got me confused all over the place, so I suggest we just... wait. :)

Thanks go out to all of the entrants for their hard work. The contest is now closed. If you think you have made an entry but it does not appear on the front page of gp2xdemo.com, please let us know, because I did not receive it.

I will make the entries available for download probably tomorrow (August 2) or worst case August 3.

The gp2x has a small group of developers, most of which are working on porting games, emulators, or applications, and some of which are working on original games and apps. I am not too surprised to see the relatively small turnout, nor am I surprised that many entrants did not spend much time on their entries. Despite this, the prizes will be will-deserved and I hope that the community gets some pleasure from these original artistic creations, and that the coders consider moving forward from these first baby steps in showing what the gp2x platform is capable of by working on further demos.

At this time I am announcing that the judges for the contest are:
Me
My friend, who has some experience both with demos and the gp2x
Vimacs, the well-known and universally adored forum moderator.

We will begin our deliberations as soon as I get the demos posted.

Wolfsclaw posted on Aug 1 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
I was just trying to write that here in germany (gmt+1) we have 01:49 AM meaning an hour back would be 0:49

But then I looked at your post again and that you're living in the UK and you got me confused all over the place, so I suggest we just... wait. :)
In the unlikely event that an entry arrives in the next few minutes or even the next hour for that matter, it will be allowed to compete.

Actually, I realized that it would not take me long to verify and collect the entries, so go to

http://gp2xdemo.com

and download the entries if you wish.

JUDGES: I will be sending you an email in the next day or two to make sure we're on the same page for judging.

If EvilDragon is watching this thread and wants to make an announcement on the front page of the site, that would be cool.

Actually, 8 entries is quite surprising for a machine where there are not many demosceners yet into and the scene is something really new here. I am quite happy about the number of the entries. Believe me, I've entered into compos where I was expecting more demos because more people were into demos in the platforms of those competitions and I was the only one participant, being really puzzled :p

Ok, gotta go home soon and transfer the demos to my GP2X and watch. Later, I may post some comments about them :)

Just tried Code Alone, for a second I thought what the hell is going on here :D

Edit: Watched some other demos.. Pretty awesome stuff here! Haven't thought there'll be so nice things :)

DaveN posted on Aug 1 2006 at 08:57 PM said:
Just tried Code Alone, for a second I thought what the hell is going on here :D
Haha, me too. I just finished watching them all. I must say I'm very impressed on the 64k demos. Cube Effects is my favorite, for cramming so many cool effects into such a small file. Demo1 had a great 3D demo, that alone is worth honorable mention IMHO! I was also impressed by all the collision effects going on in the pool demo.

My 3 favorite demos in no particular order are Code Alone, Babylon Bastard, and Debris.

Great job to all entrants! And thanks Dzz for hosting the competition!

After seeing all the other entries I have realized a few things...

A) Submitting a 2D demo that runs at 300+ FPS against 3D demos that run at 30+ FPS was probably a bit naive of me.

B) Not filling the 64k with textures was probably a waste. I'll get my revenge in the 8k and 1k categories some day :p

C) *O* *M* *G*, those 3D effects, by which I mean every demo except mine, are amazing. I have renewed faith in the future of the GP2X community. A thriving demo scene can do nothing but help the gaming scene.

I always wondered about demos... I was never really an active participant (nor was I a spectator) in the demo scene, so I never really picked up whether demos actually had any effect on the "future" of homebrew games. Like, do people tend to experiment in demos with ways to do things in games in the future?
It just seems to me like a lot of the demos I've seen (I have not yet seen the ones for the comp, though I have downloaded them.) have effects and animations that I never see in games...

So is there really any point, apart from dazzling the viewer? I'm not being a sceptic here, just wondering.

Wow. Let me write my comments here. Yesterday, it was too late when I tried to watch the demos and then I had to sleep, heh. So I'll write my comments today..

Most of the demos were quite good for my expectations (do I always have low expectations? ;P). I really liked at least 4 of them. Babylon Bastard and Debris where quite nice and maybe the second is my most favorite (most nicely designed from all imho and the effects are decent and look good enough). The first is also quite ok designed and more technical (great 3d), those two I think are better than mine in the artistic aspect cause I didn't used any nifty gfx layers at all, mostly coder stuff. Both are similar to mine in technical aspects. Nice 3d and smooth 2d effects here.

The codealone is a great surprise. From a technical stand point of view (is it the only here using the second CPU?). Especially, when I tried to run it, it returned me to menu and at first I thought "Oh no! It's not running!!!" to later surprise with that 3d transition on the GUI. Wow factor!!!

And then the 64ks. I did liked demo1, not just for the voxel (which goes a bit slow and I have seen better ones, but thumbs up for releasing the first on GP2X! :)) but it's nicely done even without music, the rest effects are oldschool and preety smooth (nice rotozoomer :)). I don't care if they are done before, I do care to see them smooth and good looking and here it's there with also a nice font for the sine scroll. My personal favorite 64k.

Pooldemo has nice collision detection with balls, I can sit there and stare all time :). More a onescreen than a true demo but there is this one effect to make it likeable. The colors though are a bit,.. psychedelic ;P.

The start of cube effects is promising. Nice 3d cube, though with the non perspective texture mapping it looks a bit ugly. Still promising. Then it is very long and some parts are preety much slow :(. Nice to see though that the coder went through the hassle to try texture generation. I also like the motion blur effect a bit later which isn't as slow as the previous post processing effect.

Waking up the dead: nice to see a new GP2X demo from Ragnor, although I am still badly surprised about the speed. It really destroys the nice oldschool feeling this might have. Is it because of the OGG player? I think not but I am not sure. What makes even a scroller so slow? You are not using a putpixel subroutine to draw each pixel for each single effect there, are you? (Just guessing :)). The music is cute though and the scrolltexts show a good message, to wake up the dead and bring more demoscene in the GP2X =)))

These are some awesome demos. I don't want to mention my top three because it's surely the same as the posters before me also mentioned.

I am impressed with the 3d effects, design and also the musical effort put into these but also with the courage of some coders who apparently have coded their first demo on the gp2x. Thumbs up! Artistically and technically overwhelming. And I also was startled when that codealone demo turned my menu into a 3d cube effect ("WTF! Damn, it crashed... wait what's that... are the batteries dead again? HOLY...")

Back