Gp2x Demo Competition: 750$ prize money

>I'm hoping to see some impressive 3d flybys and objects on my gp2x, personally.
>[/quote]
>yeah the baardei - aardbei demo was really cool B),
>wasn't the Happy New Year demo from "limp ninya"?
>[/quote]

Yep. Those two demos featured some of the most impressive 3d code in GP32 demos. And I bet much more can be done in the GP2X.

I've recently started working on my old GP32 demo code again. In that I featured a not so optimized 3d engine in C and speed was quite ok for the object complexity (got 30-50fps in simple flat or gouraud objects, like 3d ducks, teapots, etc. And the heavy objects with 5000polygons get 10-15fps with envmapping!). I can't imagine what more can be done with some carefull profiling of my code (because I keep optimizing 3d code here and there and yet there is rarely any increase in performance ;P) or if someone tried to right demo code in ARM asm (not me! :).

And yet I'll finally get my GP2X the day after tomorrow and I am thinking to try porting this engine to the new baby. I'll already get quite nifty framerates by just doing that. It will be more than enough for an impressive new demo. I only hope that I can fix the clipping errors in my poly engine and write some more code so that I can implement more impressive 3d scenes rather than simple object shows.

Hopefully I'll be still moody to continue with the GP2X demo after I finish my first and last on the GP32.

:angry: It is late... I have no gp2x. No money for gp2x. I am PC chipmuzax/pixel artist.
Maybe in the future. I like Gamepark.
And --> POUET.NET SUCKS full of lamers...
I think GP2X or XGP platform is great for demoscene. TV-OUT RULES!
So GAMEPARK SCENE MUST RISE UP!!!

:angry: It is late... I have no gp2x. No money for gp2x. I am PC chipmuzax/pixel artist.
Maybe in the future. I like Gamepark.
And --> POUET.NET SUCKS full of lamers...
I think GP2X or XGP platform is great for demoscene. TV-OUT RULES!
So GAMEPARK SCENE MUST RISE UP!!!
Its not late, if I can recall, this thing ends sometime at the end of the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet I'll finally get my GP2X the day after tomorrow and I am thinking to try porting this engine to the new baby. I'll already get quite nifty framerates by just doing that. It will be more than enough for an impressive new demo. I only hope that I can fix the clipping errors in my poly engine and write some more code so that I can implement more impressive 3d scenes rather than simple object shows.

Hopefully I'll be still moody to continue with the GP2X demo after I finish my first and last on the GP32.
sounds good :D

The deadline would appear to be August 1st, so there's still another 5 weeks or so until it arrives, with luck! I must say, I'm slightly tempted to try and build some sort of dev environment here and fiddle myself, but, well, I'll be moving to working full time on Tuesday, so I'd have trouble testing any code I wrote then (and getting it home for that matter - would be able to write stuff though, seeing as a large ammount of the day is spent, typically, standing around and waiting for the next customer to come in).

That said, my knowledge of C is still just beyond the "hello world" one, so something tells me I wouldn't come up with anything really interesting in that kind of time. Never know though, I suppose.

Hello everybody!

Just a quick reminder: there are 25 days left in the Gp2x Demo Competition! Even if you haven't started yet, there's still time to do something way cool!

Entries will be due on August 1, as previously discussed. Here's a little more detail about how the process will work:

By July 15, gp2xdemo.com will be available. This will be the website hosting the entries and results from the competition. There hasn't really been a huge need for a web site yet (the only thing that would go on it is the info in this thread, and all external references to the contest refer to this thread).

Entries must be emailed on or before August 1 to dzz@gp2xgamer.com. The email containing the entry should include an email address I can use to contact you if you win a prize.

If your entry is large and you are concerned about some mail system choking on the file, please send a separate email telling me that you sent the file, so I know to look for it.

As an alternative, if you are concerned about the potential for large email attachments getting lost or corrupted in transit, you can make your entry available with a private URL on the web. If you choose this method, include the URL in your email to dzz@gp2xgamer.com and I will fetch the file myself.

I will be updating the website with basic information about the entries I have received -- entrant name and demo title. You can use this site to make sure that your entry has been received.

Each entry must be zipped into a single zip file (or, as the rules state, a RAR file is allowed, although zip would be appreciated). The zip (or rar) must contain a file called "file_id.diz" which is a text file containing the name (or handle) of the submitter and the title of the demo. All entries are entered in the main contest. Entries that consist of only the file_id.diz and a single .gpe file 65536 bytes in size or less will automatically be entered additionally in the 64k competition.

By August 4 (probably sooner), all entries will be available for download by the general public.

By August 15, results of the judges will be tabulated. Three judges will give scores from 0-10 in each of the Artistic and Technical categories, resulting in a total score between 0 and 60. The total scores for each entry will be made public, but the individual components leading to them will not. If a tie must be broken to decide who wins a particular prize, each judge will be asked to choose between the tied entries head-to-head and the resulting winner gets the higher rank. The Honorable Mention prize will be chosen by me according to my whim after the winners are determined.

Winners will be contacted on the 16th to arrange prize payment. Paypal is preferred and will be the quickest. If Paypal cannot be used we will work out a way to get you the prize money by a mutually agreed-on means, which will of course take a little longer.

Any questions, please post them here!

Okay Demosceners!

This is your friendly alarm clock reminding you that there are 16 days left before the competition submission deadline. Still lots of time to do cool things, but the clock is definitely ticking now!

The web page for the competition is up, containing the final rules and other info. For those following the competition there are no surprises. The only change is that the only firmware version you have to support is version 2.0.0, no matter what happens between now and August 1 (that is, we are expecting GPH to release a new firmware soon but it is not required that your code run on that firmware -- however it would be nice if you could give it a look as in the future many in your audience will be running the newer firmware).

http://gp2xdemo.com

Is there any enterants to the compo this far? I'm curious about it, because at the combo website it says no entries submitted yet.
I'm nearly finished my own entry and i hope i won't be the only one enters to this compo. :)

ragnor posted on Jul 24 2006 at 04:43 PM said:
Is there any enterants to the compo this far? I'm curious about it, because at the combo website it says no entries submitted yet.
I'm nearly finished my own entry and i hope i won't be the only one enters to this compo. :)
good question, I'm really interested too :)

Greetings Demosceners!

Well, the end is near! Only one week to go!

Be sure to check out http://gp2xdemo.com for entry procedures!

If you're finished and want to submit an entry a little early, that would be cool (but I don't expect anybody will :) )

PSyMastR posted on Jul 30 2006 at 05:19 AM said:
I cant wait for this, good thing my camera acts as a card reader while im away. I <3 demos.
Just two days to go!

Magnulus posted on Jul 30 2006 at 07:40 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Jul 30 2006 at 04:48 PM said:
ONOOS, I will be going on vacation tuesday!! :(

Hopefully I'll come across some hotspots :D

Can't you enter a day early?
Im not making a demo, I just want to see the results.
But now Im thinking of it, it will take some time for dzz to rate them first and decide a winner etc. (doh, stupid me)
So how long do you think it would take before the results are in?

aapje89 posted on Jul 30 2006 at 12:43 PM said:
But now Im thinking of it, it will take some time for dzz to rate them first and decide a winner etc. (doh, stupid me)
The results will be ready by August 15. However, I will not wait until then to release the entries. Those will be released as soon as I can have a quick look through them to see if any need to be disqualified. Probably no more than a day or two, unless I am flooded with entries which is not very likely.

Dzz posted on Jul 30 2006 at 08:48 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Jul 30 2006 at 12:43 PM said:
The results will be ready by August 15. However, I will not wait until then to release the entries. Those will be released as soon as I can have a quick look through them to see if any need to be disqualified. Probably no more than a day or two, unless I am flooded with entries which is not very likely.
Ok, nice :)

I just started devving this week. Finally got a BoB to unbrick my 2x thats been sitting idle while I sit bored. I plan to have an entry, but its going to be nothing spectacular. So far it's just a bunch of balls bouncing around the screen with crap textures. Work in progress:

http://sparr.homeip.net/gp2x/pooldemo3_gravity.gpe

(note: the binary is under 10k if i get rid of the text on the screen)

Dzz posted on Apr 14 2006 at 09:18 AM said:
The header overhead is not a huge consideration for anybody who isn't trying a 4k demo. It's a couple hundred
Is there a 4k category that I did not notice?

Back