Gp2X Wiz "tower Defense" Coding Competition

efegea

From GP32Spain:

GP2X Wiz "Tower Defense" coding competition.

Prizes
First place: 300€
Second place: 200€
Third place: 100€

Dates
Deadline: September 30th
Winners announcement: October 15th

Contest Rules
  • Only "Tower Defense" style games are accepted.
  • The games can be coded either for GP2X Wiz or using interpreters like Fenix. In any case, games must include everything needed to work on GP2X Wiz. NO Flash games allowed.
  • The games must work correctly on the last official firmware.
  • Multiple entries may be submitted, but you will only be eligible to win one prize.
  • All submitted games must be new for GP2X Wiz. We don't accept games already published on GP2X Wiz. We accept ports from other systems.
  • Don't release the game to the public before we have announced the entries. If you release the game before the end of the contest, you will be disqualified.
  • There is a size limit of 2GB.
  • Entries under 20MB must be submitted to webmaster((at))gp32spain.com by the above deadline. For entries larger than 20MB, please contact us and we will open an ftp account for you. The subject MUST BE "Tower Defense Contest".
  • Entries will be judged by three people. The jury will be announced after the deadline.
  • Along with the game you should include a "info.txt" file with the following information:
    - Entry Name.
    - Entry description and quick guide.
    - Nick and contact e-mail.
  • People living outside Spain should have a PayPal account in order to receive the prizes.
  • The organization reserves the right to declare the prize null and void if the quality of the games is insufficient or if there is little or no public interest.
  • The rules may be modified at any time as appropriate. Any changes or additions will be published on www.gp32spain.com.
Additional Information

Tower defense or TD is a subgenre of real-time strategy computer games. The goal is to try to stop enemies from crossing the map by building towers which shoot at them as they pass. Enemies and towers usually have varied abilities and costs. When an enemy is defeated the player earns money or points, which are used to buy or upgrade towers.
More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_defense

Seems a bit odd to have a competition solely based around making clones of a single game :S.

Orkie said:
Seems a bit odd to have a competition solely based around making clones of a single game :S.
Plus that fact we have a pretty solid one already too. Id rather see something more broad like jump'n'run if it had to be one genre

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, seems like a beg for ports .. ie: so a few can work really hard on original games, to get clobbered by some port that has several year old but really really pollished artwork :)

jeff

/me considers entering

Anarchy is the organizer of the conquest and the main distributor of GPH products for Spain. And he is a real fan of tower defense games. That means that this conquest is not a joke :)

BTW, a question that needs clarification is taxes. Anarchy didn't say anything about them, and Spain has about 20% of taxes for prizes in cash. So the actual prizes may be 240, 160 and 80€. Just keep in mind in case of winning the conquest, or ask to Anarchy before entering :)

I find is incredibly hard to imagine a winning entry better than Sqdef.
All Alex needs to add is touch-screen support IMO.

atomicthumbs said:
Alex should port Sqdef for easy money. :p
It's already ported and enjoyed by many WIZ users.

Sqdef cannot contest... because it's already released...

Anarchy (and the bunch) are great guys, no question :)

Good point about sqdef being out; besides, he could get bumped by some game with realy cute artwork perhaps .. I'm thinking theres like 9000 iphone tower defense games, so some of them would be ripe ports.

jeff

Cheers Anarchy and cheers efegea for the news! I'm looking forward für the results. I hope there's some good contributions.

Regards,
Stephan

pfff screw plants vs zombies, do defense grid the awakening :p Love that game.

rabbits with hats said:
PLEEEEEEEEASE! can someone make a plants vs zombies clone! :p

I'm hoping for the same :) But it won't be as nice without Crazy Dave!

I think those interested already know, but the deadline was pushed back to the 11th of October after several people requested some extra time.

skeezix said:
I'm thinking theres like 9000 iphone tower defense games, so some of them would be ripe ports.

I love Geo Defence Swarm on the iphone!

not sure if I should be admitting that here... :rolleyes:

Saturday October 17th will be announced the winners, probably.

Back