Gp2x + Cold Temperatures

sam fisher posted on Feb 14 2007 at 01:40 PM said:
If you turned on the LCD it would freeze at an earlier temperature.

Assuming you lower the temperature gradually, then the molecules are less likely to break away from their bonded structures, hence no damage. However due to the lessening of kinetic energy, the batteries abilities to function drops non-linearly below their operating temperature. With the LCD on you would need more power, which the batteries just would not be able to push at as low a temperature.

Having myself dunked various different types of batteries into liquid nitrogen, I can tell you positively that this is what happens with a Ni-Mh battery. Most batteries are rated to sustain their ability at temps no lower than 5 celcius, or 258 kelvin.

I've got an Oregon Scientific ATC2000 on order, and they recommend using Lithium (not lithium ion) batteries in that device when in sub-zero (degrees C) conditions. I know Lithium's aren't rechargable, so it may not be particularly applicable to the GP2X, but did your liquid nitrogen testing confirm that they're better at low temps than NIMHs?

Cheers,
Alyn.

Last edited by a moderator:
sparkey posted on Feb 14 2007 at 08:57 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Feb 14 2007 at 01:40 PM said:
If you turned on the LCD it would freeze at an earlier temperature.

Assuming you lower the temperature gradually, then the molecules are less likely to break away from their bonded structures, hence no damage. However due to the lessening of kinetic energy, the batteries abilities to function drops non-linearly below their operating temperature. With the LCD on you would need more power, which the batteries just would not be able to push at as low a temperature.

Having myself dunked various different types of batteries into liquid nitrogen, I can tell you positively that this is what happens with a Ni-Mh battery. Most batteries are rated to sustain their ability at temps no lower than 5 celcius, or 258 kelvin.

I've got an Oregon Scientific ATC2000 on order, and they recommend using Lithium (not lithium ion) batteries in that device when in sub-zero (degrees C) conditions. I know Lithium's aren't rechargable, so it may not be particularly applicable to the GP2X, but did your liquid nitrogen testing confirm that they're better at low temps than NIMHs?

Cheers,
Alyn.
Yes, possibly due to the lithium being more reactive that the ni-mh electrolytes. I didn't get to test that extensively. I know that the energiser lithiums work fairly well. I also know that alkalines seemed to perform better, some did, some didn't. Duracell seemed to operate at lower tempertures than energisers of the same class.

Bottom line, lithium disposables will out perform a ni-mh rechargable at lower temperatures. However, I didn't test very high drain applications.

Last year there was an article about GP2X in a Finnish computer magazine called MikroBitti. They said that the unit they tested had bricked after being outdoors.

I had same kind of experience last year. My unit bricked after being outdoors for maybe 30 minutes with GP2X in my pocket. Could've been just a coincidence. But that was a cold winter... about -30C

Arcnaleon posted on Feb 14 2007 at 01:48 AM said:
For example, most Nokia mobiles can't take that much a cold and become very annoying to use, if they even work. (switched to motorola.)

err... weird. Nokia is based in Finland; you'd think they know how to build cold-weather capable devices..

On a recent flight back to the states to come home I was in Detroit, it was 2 Degrees Fahrenheit and my gp2x worked just fine :huh: . Not complaining.

The system should run fine at those temperatures.

However most rechargeable batteries don't. Including Lithium-ION/Polymer cells.

Try keeping a NiMH/Li-ION battery pack in a inner pocket, where your body heat will stop it from going much below 15C.

Yeah, thats true, lithium batteries works much better in cold temperatures than nimhs.

hitbyambulance posted on Feb 17 2007 at 10:16 AM said:
Arcnaleon posted on Feb 14 2007 at 01:48 AM said:
For example, most Nokia mobiles can't take that much a cold and become very annoying to use, if they even work. (switched to motorola.)

err... weird. Nokia is based in Finland; you'd think they know how to build cold-weather capable devices..

I'm from Finland, and have had about 5 different Nokia mobiles, all had the same problem, the screen doesn't work in low temperatures, and latest mobile I had from Nokia didn't work at all under -20 celcius degrees. Now, with Motorola haven't had any problems with main screen, the second screen (smaller) can get a bit laggy. But hey, still works better than Nokia. =)

Arcnaleon posted on Feb 13 2007 at 07:16 PM said:
Hi to all!

Just tought to open up a discussion about cold temperatures with your gp2x.
I live in north-europe and in here the last weeks have been quite chilly, I think the record is about -39 celsius degrees, so the past weeks have been ideal to test gp2x with cold temperatures.

I like running and skiing and have taken gp2x with me on my runs with my drinking-system (don't worry, water is in isolated system, gp2x + water = no no :) ) on my back, so it really is in the cold air.

So what can it take?
My systems limit is about -25 celsius degrees, in that temperature it becomes unstable and crashing, any temperature under that is fine, have been using it about 2 h in -20 degrees with no problems.

Have anyone else got experience with cold temperatures + gp2x? Post it here, I'd like to know for comparison.

Also, my gp2x is first edition, S/N: 2005.11.01 - GP2XV111 - 00000049

I haven't gotten that cold yet. The coldest it ever got was when it was sitting in a car in the parking lot of the ski place where I was. The screen was a bit ghosty, but it still played videos (so, both cores worked) and emulators (overclocking to normal limits worked) fine.

I was in the north Georgia mountains this weekend, and I accidentally left my GP2X and iPod in the car while it was snowing. The next morning, my iPod was behaving erratically, but the GP2X was fine.

I live at Finland, but my gp2x hasnt minded the cold. I just keep it in pocket inside my jacket.
AND MY NOKIA WORKS OUTDOORS EVEN NOW, WHEN ITS -25C

Must say I think I just have had bad models, 3110, 3210, 6120, 5510 and 6820 from Nokia. All had terrible cold durance, the last one, 6820, didn't work over -20 C, just didn't find service, but few minutes indoors and it worked fine.

Now I have Motorola V3x and have had no problems with it, even the main screen works without any problems. But all tought, I think now days all mobiles have the same components in them, so Nokia's models should work fine.
My friend just bought a Nokia 5550, the battery is dead in less than 3 days, so I don't think I would be back on Nokia soon.

Isn't Nokia even trying to leave the manufacturing unit and continue software development for mobiles as their main business?

Arcnaleon posted on Feb 22 2007 at 01:10 PM said:
Must say I think I just have had bad models, 3110, 3210, 6120, 5510 and 6820 from Nokia. All had terrible cold durance, the last one, 6820, didn't work over -20 C, just didn't find service, but few minutes indoors and it worked fine.

Now I have Motorola V3x and have had no problems with it, even the main screen works without any problems. But all tought, I think now days all mobiles have the same components in them, so Nokia's models should work fine.
My friend just bought a Nokia 5550, the battery is dead in less than 3 days, so I don't think I would be back on Nokia soon.

Isn't Nokia even trying to leave the manufacturing unit and continue software development for mobiles as their main business?
Not going to happen. they are going gamepark :D
They are making new n-gage, but this time you can play new n-gage games with other cellphones too and some devices that arent even phones :lol:
And they are just releasing E-series too. remember that nokia is finnish :)
Someone should sacrifice gpx and test will it broke if its turned off and in -20 for 1 hour and how long should it take to warm it up.
(sorry for my bad english, Im tired and stressed highschooler from Finland)

Back