Pandora Cold

CandidStan said:
PoisonedV said:
get furry pockets, or a furry case or something well insulated.
furries.jpg

augh my eyes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most standard grade components are rated for 0 to about 60 or 70 degrees ©.

There are then industrial and military, which are get about 10 degrees extra at each end of the scale (i.e. -10 to +70 or 80 and -20 to plus 80 or 90)

For many manufacturers, do you know what they do to get the military grade stuff? They get a whole load of chips, and put them in a low temp oven at 80/90 degrees. The ones that survive go in the freezer at -20. The ones that survive that are the military grade ones.

I wouldn't count on the pandora survivng much below 0C. Better get it an insulating case with space for hand warmers - keep your hands warm too!

EdCa22 said:
Most standard grade components are rated for 0 to about 60 or 70 degrees ©.

There are then industrial and military, which are get about 10 degrees extra at each end of the scale (i.e. -10 to +70 or 80 and -20 to plus 80 or 90)

For many manufacturers, do you know what they do to get the military grade stuff? They get a whole load of chips, and put them in a low temp oven at 80/90 degrees. The ones that survive go in the freezer at -20. The ones that survive that are the military grade ones.

I wouldn't count on the pandora survivng much below 0C. Better get it an insulating case with space for hand warmers - keep your hands warm too!
So you're saying that the LCD screen might survive up to -20C, but the rest of the components might fail below 0C? Hm, for some reason I figured that the first thing to be damaged would be the screen... I guess not?

Esn said:
So you're saying that the LCD screen might survive up to -20C, but the rest of the components might fail below 0C? Hm, for some reason I figured that the first thing to be damaged would be the screen... I guess not?
Yep, exactly that. In fact, the upper temperature limit varies quite a bit from device to device, but for standard grade chips the lower limit is almost always 0 degrees C. Often manufacturers only have two grades, standard and industrial/military, or sometimes 3. Sometimes you can't actually find out about the military grade stuff at all.

But in point of fact, I just went on TIs OMAP3530 page (http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/omap3530.html) and found this:

"Operating Temperature Range (°C) 0 to 90,-40 to 105 "

I'm sure they will be using the standard grade, so the pandora cannot be rated below 0 degrees.

-20 °C? Bet you could get some mad overclocks there. *genius idea* maybe you could overcompensate the chill factor by overclocking your unit ;P

I love how sometimes people talk about the validity of this topic, rather than the actual topic, in said topic :p

Would you rather people make entirely new topics to state their opinions on other topics?

Yigguth said:
Would you rather people make entirely new topics to state their opinions on other topics?
No, would you?

If i recall i said "I love". Duh.

quartercast said:
-20 °C? Bet you could get some mad overclocks there. *genius idea* maybe you could overcompensate the chill factor by overclocking your unit ;P
I don't think ARM chips get hot enough when they're overclocked.

It'll get warmer, for sure, but I think even at room temperature they don't get hot enough to damage themselves before you've overclocked them so far that they stop working for other reasons.

(Yes, I know you're joking. I just like nitpicking. Don't mind me.)

I'd think your fingers would "fail" due to cold before the Pandora, and I don't think anyone wants to use the Pandora with gloves on. (Which leaves the whole "using it as an mp3 player" thing for which I'm assuming it's more than fine to just put it in an inside pocket)

Just make sure you don't take it with you when you go polar diving--Once you remove your jacket it is no longer kept warm by your body temperature, and so is at risk of being damaged.

Back