Pandora Cold

zxcel

Still Fresh
I have old notebook. If I go somethere with it in cold day of the winter (temperature is -20 C or near), then its display begin to blinking. So i have to disassemble it and insert LCD cable back to the socket. As far as I understand, LCD cable is rather short, so in cold weather it is shrinking and fall out from the socket.

My question is: is the temperature like -20 C is not a problem for using pandora? At least in standby mode - i think nobody will play emulated games on the street during the cold winter day:)

Do people post these topics to goof off or are they actually serious?

PoisonedV said:
-20C might be a bit extreme, but I think it's a worthy question to ask what kind of temperature range the Pandora will handle. Heaven knows I might want to take it camping with me somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
A supercooled Pandora will obviously shatter easily when shot, but once the temperature rises again, the memory metal will melt itself right back into shape. Still, how often are you going to drop your pandora in liquid nitrogen, eh?

Just keep it out of a container of molten steel. That's bad. Movie-ending bad.

PoisonedV said:

CronoTriggerfan said:
This is getting ridiculous. :lol:
Ever heard of "Canada"? :p There're some 4 months a year over here when such temperatures are anything but unexpected. I read a while ago on these boards about someone who used his GP32 as an MP3 player in such weather and totaled it...

I live in Michigan an hour away from the border, it gets mighty chilly here, too. :p My thing is, what does this guy expect, the devs to take a working Pandora into a giant cooler or a meat packing facility and play it for a few hours? :lol: These are the kind of questions that are answered over time, and the fact that it's taken seriously is a sign that people are getting antsy.

Only a few more months, then you can see for yourself if Pandora will work in your igloo. :)

have fun holding the unit & typing with gloves.

If you aren't wearing gloves, you are at serious risk of becoming a cold weather casualty.

Don't worry about the Pandora, find warmth. People act drunk when things get bad in the cold. My thoughts on this posts origins as well.

Peace & Danks

Link

Yeah, I'm sure the devs have done extensive testing in their sealed coolant chamber.

I bet it is a valid question. Manufacturers normally give people temperature ranges the device works best in. I do not see it as an odd thing to ask.

But they just play safe and quote standard operating temperatures. Does anyone really expect Open Pandora to test it? It works 30C to -2C. Job done. Then anybody wanting to operate it outside that range has to take the risk or not bother. (I'm not saying people wouldn't want to know, by the way, just that it's not likely to get answered properly - unless it's real cold where MWeston is.)

I'm not getting why people don't think this is a valid question.

Yes, they plan to sell it in northern parts of the world - What happens if someone leaves it in their car over the night in the middle of the winter? Will it be screwed? This sort of thing happens, and it's going to be something that the dev team will have to deal with in the long run.

I know peoples primary concern right now is getting the pandora in their hands - but there are quite a few other things that need to be tested and considered. This is one of them.

I've done some work in Panasonic's in-house HALT chamber where they test their Toughbook laptops, and it's pretty cool. It's also really expensive and time consuming. Most manufacturers have the luxury of having enough time and money to have their products HALT tested, but Pandora is not being made by most manufacturers. You can make some educated guesses based on what the manufacturers of some specific parts (Battery and LCD panel) set as limits, but you can never know what might be a point of failure until you get it to fail. I'm afraid people are just going to have to use a bit of common sense and caution when deciding what is or isn't a safe environment.

Alex. said:
PoisonedV said:

CronoTriggerfan said:
This is getting ridiculous. :lol:
Ever heard of "Canada"? :p There're some 4 months a year over here when such temperatures are anything but unexpected. I read a while ago on these boards about someone who used his GP32 as an MP3 player in such weather and totaled it...

MWeston lives in Canada, I am pretty sure he wants to use his Pandora :D :lol: :lol:

Hey guys, you think this problem is not actual because you will never face with it.I think its actual because I face with it. So I just want to know. If it can live in cold temperature, it's fine. If not, it's not a big problem, I will put it closer to my body:)

(just for your interest) Here, in Russia, winters are rather cold. Usually couple weeks are colder than -15..-20 C, and couple days are colder than -25. AFAIR -34 was the lowest temperature during last winter, in my city. With such temperature, most of cars can't start, and most of mobile phones don't work also. It's not a big problem with phones, because most of them are revive when you warm them. But some devices, like my notebook, are not so durable.

One more reason: if pandora can't live with low temperature, it can be broken during the shipping.

Thats not the issue. we dont deny that people live and will use the pandora in freezing temperatures.

it does seem like a little bit of a coincidence that this topic was made after the topic called "Pandora heat" was made. we seem to be suffering from troll syndrome. we need a healthy dose of mod to straighten it out,

magicman5421 said:
it does seem like a little bit of a coincidence that this topic was made after the topic called "Pandora heat" was made. we seem to be suffering from troll syndrome. we need a healthy dose of mod to straighten it out,
The question is a fair one, and it certainly wasn't asked in a derogatory manner. There are plenty of places in the US where such temperatures aren't uncommon in the dead of winter. With all the ridiculous, unnecessary and redundant threads in this forum, I'm surprised you would pick out this one to label trollish.

Batteries and LCD panels don't generally like to operate at temperatures that low, so I wouldn't recommend it. That's not to say it's impossible or that you will definitely risk permanent damage, it's just not suggested. As for phisical issues like the video cable shrinking and becoming dislodged, you're probably just going to have to try and find out.

I'm gonna assume Craigx and Co are using commercial grade component. Such Electronics themselves are generally listed for no lower then 0 C. That doesn't mean they won't function, they're just not guaranteed to function at such temperatures. Industrial Grade components would probably fit the ticket, but such LCDs are rather expensive. Finally, I don't think they can get access to Military Grade Components.

Back