Cpu Temperatures...

Axeman

Axemeister
Website
Visit site
Hiya all,

Just an open question to you people who pay attention to this thype of thing :p

I've just upgraded to an AMD 3000+ cpu, and a new motherboard. What sort of temperature do you reckon this cpu should be running at in general? It's been unstable as hell, and if I leave the machine on overnight, I come back in the morning and the bugger's restarted itself. It also keeps restarting when I'm doing anything vaguely taxing on it (e.g. rendering etc).

So.... I checked the CPU temperature, and it was at 63 degrees C. Now... to me that sounded a lot, so I took off the CPU fan, cleaned off the heatsink compound and reapplied a new layer (not too thick!).

Leaving the case open shaved about 5 degrees off the temp. However, it was still running at 58-59 degrees when doing anything taxing. So, for now, I've lowered the CPU FSB speed from 166Mhz to 133Mhz. This has taken me down to an average of about 48 degrees. This sounds much more healthy, and up till now, I've not had another crash (though its only been about 1/2 hr!). Obviosly though, this aint the best way, cos it means that I'm not running at full speed!

So... you reckin it was running too hot? May have to get a new fan... What makes/modelsdo you lot suggest? Also, I'm gonna get me a nice PSU with a fan on the bottom to draw the heat away from the CPU area, make it a bit cooler.

Any onfo would be appreciated...!

Cheers :D

Im sure mines been around that after a few weeks of been on. Meh... I need a reset... ill check now :)

edit: atm its at 55 degrees, and is set to reset at 75 :/ (its been on for 2 days now)

I'm wondering if my PSU is under-powered (supposed to be 350 watt), or faulty. I removed a HDD and a DVD-ROM and it seems ok <_<

So... I've ordered a new PSU (420 watt) with dual fans to keep everything nice and non-toasty and also a case fan and one of those rear exhause PCI slot exaust things. Just hope it doen;t make the whole thing sound like a tornado!

65 is pretty high, but only get worried when it hits 70-75.

AMD CPUs are tested and run fine up to 90 degrees c, not entirely to be trusted, but it does show that they can handle plenty heat.

Could easily be not the CPU but the ram chips. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a faulty ram chip. The thing is WindowsXP just ran fine, one would expect blue screens of death with faulty ram.....but programs would sometimes randomly crash/exit and the computer hung/resetted every now and then.

Replacing the brandless RAM with certified Kingston RAM did wonders without reinstalling the machine´s OS!

Using certified RAMs is always recommended. I use a Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton) at 2.2 GHz (11 x 200 Mhz FSB) with the normal V-Core (1.65 V) and it runs fine at 56-59° C. When I set the V-Core at <1.85 V, the CPU also overclocks to 2.4 GHz (12 x 200 Mhz FSB) - in this case it runs at about 64° C. All this with the boxed heatsink/fan. I you want the best cooling for your Athlon go for the Thermalright SLK 900a with a 80 mm fan - it really freezes your CPU ... ;)

sam fisher posted on Jul 16 2004 at 08:41 AM said:
Is there a way of finding the temperature without going into the bios?
Yes, Theres a Temperature monitor Programm you can download called Mother Board Monitor

That seems a High Temp... Its under the critical Temperature, but running at that for long will reduce the life...

Try getting Water Cooling :D £60 from Novatech

Im sitting at 50 Deg C now.. It used to sit at 35 Deg C Untill I removed the Heatsink and then I could never get it back down (tried reapplying thermal paste etc). I dont want to remove the Heatsink again as its a Very Tight fit

Last edited by a moderator:
60 odd degress is well to high for an athlon bartons aer quite cool chips.. my xp2100 non barton overclocked to xp2700 speed runs at 45 degrees under strain... recently my pc has been shutting down, found the temperature was going above 60 at which point the pc would shut down.. couldn't work out why.. found out why, there was a thin layer of dust over the sink.. this small layer of dust once removed dropped the temps down by 20 degrees!

As to recommended heatsink fan combo get an aero 7 cooler cheap and very effective.

Also the case you use makes a fair bit of difference, you want to have an fan intake at the bottom and a fan outtake at the top. I had a chepa and nasty case before..which caused me cooling problems.. invested in chieftech bx not very expensive brilliant at keeping your pc cool..

Back