Movie Encoding

Larken

Still Fresh
I got an F200 for Christmas and it's working great for me. The only issue I'm having currently is watching movies. When I download a TV show, it is usually about 350MB. If I take that and put it on the SD card and watch it on the GP2X, it works great. Because of advice to re-encode, I've been trying to accomplish this. I've used VirtualDub and VeMode. Both do the job and when I watch the new video file in Windows Media Player, it works great, but when I watch it on the GP2X, it staggers like drunk man on a cold night. Any idea what could be causing this? I had thought that it might have been memory card access time related, but if that were the case, it seems like it would affect the file at 350MB also.

Also, I'm not new to encoding. I've re-encoded video for my Zodiac with VirtualDub and it works fine... Just not working so well for the GP2X. If you could offer some suggestions, it would be appreciated...

Larken said:
I got an F200 for Christmas and it's working great for me. The only issue I'm having currently is watching movies. When I download a TV show, it is usually about 350MB. If I take that and put it on the SD card and watch it on the GP2X, it works great. Because of advice to re-encode, I've been trying to accomplish this. I've used VirtualDub and VeMode. Both do the job and when I watch the new video file in Windows Media Player, it works great, but when I watch it on the GP2X, it staggers like drunk man on a cold night. Any idea what could be causing this? I had thought that it might have been memory card access time related, but if that were the case, it seems like it would affect the file at 350MB also.

Also, I'm not new to encoding. I've re-encoded video for my Zodiac with VirtualDub and it works fine... Just not working so well for the GP2X. If you could offer some suggestions, it would be appreciated...
A suggestion, yes....: GP2X Video Converter -> http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,15,2297

Last edited by a moderator:
Larken said:

The problem is that the GP2X doesn't support some of the more advanced DivX/Xvid profile options (GMC, QPel and B-frames) To be sure you should turn those off, although I suspect it's B-frames that are giving you the problems from what you describe.

Another recommendation for pocketdivxencoder. Just choose the PDA option, and change audio quality to fit your needs. It's quick as well, I encoded a 700 MB movie down to ~250 MB in about 15 minutes. Anime I get down to ~75 MB per episode and it looks and sounds great on the GP2X.

I suggest you encode to Xvid instead of DivX. The GP2X supports all forms of Xvid, but not all DivX formats.

I also recommend PocketDivxEncoder: all my stuff comes out great (though make sure to put the audio on highest quality setting or it sounds crap).

quadomatic said:
If someone has a recommendation for what encoder to use when under Linux, that would be great.
The best one with GUI is Avidemux, you can find in many distributions.

screenshot1cn6.png

Back