Gp2psx V0.36

Drak posted on May 10 2006 at 01:48 PM said:
Hah so you smile about it running at such a high fps when in pause mode xD Well that is very good to know. Is ff7 smooth btw? Geez donation from me once I can play ff7 decently :) Does ff9 work now that you got the game loading working betteR?

I cant wait for a taste of this.. so this saturday for sure? ^^

If so, it will be a very interesting weekend.

Thanks Zod and Co.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this sounds amazing. Guess I'll have to wait a while to try it as I'm moving tomorrow and won't be connected to internet until the 18th.

Those figures are very very impressive, methinks. Especially considering how the games'll look when running. If 3D games for PSX hit 60fps... well, I'll be amazed and shocked, is what I'll be. Espcially if it's with sound. And of course, we shouldn't forget that if people use PAL games, then you don't even need 60fps to get full speed - 50 would be enough. And with an emu like this, 10 "free" fps simply by using a different version would, I think, be very useful.

It would be, in a funny way, hilarious if we end up with near full speed PSX emulation before SNES turns up, considering how big a generation gap it really was.

Admittedly there's a long way to go yet, but, well... before I was keeping half an eye on this. Now I'm starting to want to try it again. Zodttd, I don't suppose you've got a copy of Breath of Fire 3 to throw at the emu? It was always one of the faster games in days of yore - played full speed (60fps) on a 233MHz Pentium 2 with a Banshee, so it might be worth tossing it towards the emu and seeing what happens :).

Tobriand posted on May 10 2006 at 01:04 PM said:
Admittedly there's a long way to go yet, but, well... before I was keeping half an eye on this. Now I'm starting to want to try it again.

Definitely agree here. I have only been givng this a cursory glance every now and again but it seems like there is some real advances happening now.

Looking forward to following this again......

Who seen the video to the offical psone emu for the psp its from the E3 show
lets hope this can be as good and we can kick the psp`s arse lol

Oh, I doubt we'll kick the PSP's arse - but we might be able to aproach an equal status. Maybe.

That said, I haven't seen the PSP PSx emu as yet, so maybe Sony have done an unequivocably poor job at it and we really could end up better. But I doubt it - the PSP is, after all, generally speaking a more powerful system. We've just got some absolutely amazing coders in this scene that bring us a big step closer!

Tobriand posted on May 10 2006 at 11:31 AM said:
Oh, I doubt we'll kick the PSP's arse - but we might be able to aproach an equal status. Maybe.

That said, I haven't seen the PSP PSx emu as yet, so maybe Sony have done an unequivocably poor job at it and we really could end up better. But I doubt it - the PSP is, after all, generally speaking a more powerful system. We've just got some absolutely amazing coders in this scene that bring us a big step closer!

I've seen the E3 psp ps1 emulator clip. It's kinda hard to see sort of. Whoever is in charge of the camera shots for the shows is a moron. Anyways it seems ok. It was still kind of hard to tell what was going on. One thing I did like was being able to have the screen stretch to fit. I've heard some people say that they noticed the textures to look better, but they could've done that themselves just for the show. Anyways the ps1 games for the emulator are gonna come at a price and won't just be able to read iso files. So we'll all have to buy games for the emulator. I think I'll wait for the lovely gp2x version. Screw buying a game I already have.

Tobriand posted on May 10 2006 at 08:04 AM said:
It would be, in a funny way, hilarious if we end up with near full speed PSX emulation before SNES turns up, considering how big a generation gap it really was.
It wasn't; the PSX seemed so great just because it was 3D and used CD's, but in reality it's not so much bigger than the SNES. It is actually a LOT simpler, especially the GPU (yes my friend).

The PSX only had a slighly faster CPU and a vector/transformation unit that made the 3D calcs. The GPU itself was 2D and really simpler than SNES'. If you take a close look the textures weren't perspective corrected; they were just mapped in 2D. Also, it didn't have a real z-buffer; sorting was done by-polygon and not by-pixel (again, easy to notice).

Not to mention CD's can't have coprocessors inside, etc.

i keep forgetting the 2X has a second processor, the processor died to me when i think sqidge said once it's really hard to use the second processor in an emu because it has to do stuff AND keep up with the first processor too and could just make it slower (something like that) and since then i havn't really put much hope into it..

deepmenace posted on May 10 2006 at 04:39 PM said:
didnt a lot of the ps1 stuff run at around 30fps anyway?

Sometimes. FF7 dips into 15 FPS for battle scenes :eek:

It also uses muliple resolutions. Tekken 3 ran at like 512x368 or some such.

In any case, I remember Zodttd saying that if the resolution is smaller than the screen it won't scale, but if it is bigger it will.

deepmenace posted on May 10 2006 at 08:39 PM said:

The FPS display said 30fps, but it definitely wasn't. It was usually more like 5fps.

Anhaedra posted on May 11 2006 at 08:16 AM said:
deepmenace posted on May 10 2006 at 08:39 PM said:

The FPS display said 30fps, but it definitely wasn't. It was usually more like 5fps.

We're talking about the real psone.

Back