Gp2psx V0.36

interesting stuff! i tried f1 2002 (i think) some months ago and after 15min, i was in menu (didn't tried further...). i really wonder what progress is made :)
betatesting? phuh i didn't donate (will when i can play a game :p) and i have no time to betatest for hours, but i'll sure take a look at it and tell you all my experiences with it.
anyway, great work dev-team!

Is someone working on that video? All I could think of when I sat at school was that video.
I hope you understand my needs.. :)

zodttd posted on May 9 2006 at 03:55 AM said:
Ok, talked to Unai. He wants to get some features working on the GPU before the beta is released. So we set the beta release date to the 13th. Yes, another delay. Beta should last around a week, assuming that depends on how well the beta fairs.

At least there's a set timeframe now though.

No beta... no video... so don't expect it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried Spyro 1, it had a weird bug i've not seen in any games so far. green and black vertical lines filled the screen, and occasionally the game would show, then the lines would appear again. wiki says 'it works, but slow' for v 0.34, and i tried 0.36, so something between there buggered it.

anyone know how the hell to rip FF9? i have the original CD's but when ripping the bin it makes is corrupt or something and takes only a few seconds to rip, i think the CD has some protection on it.

Paradox posted on May 9 2006 at 09:58 AM said:
I tried Spyro 1, it had a weird bug i've not seen in any games so far. green and black vertical lines filled the screen, and occasionally the game would show, then the lines would appear again. wiki says 'it works, but slow' for v 0.34, and i tried 0.36, so something between there buggered it.

anyone know how the hell to rip FF9? i have the original CD's but when ripping the bin it makes is corrupt or something and takes only a few seconds to rip, i think the CD has some protection on it.

ff9 doesnt work in this emu yet :). OH! and test out ff7 and tell us how many fps you get in each area maybe? :lol: That is assuming you got the beta. xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, no beta is out, yet...

Some news:
- I finally fixed an annoying bug with the interpreter (CPU emulation), and now have 2 more FPS added to games as well. So compatibility is up.
- I reworked the way games are loaded. There was a old buggy piece of code being called that wasn't really needed unless HLE was being used. Now many more games should boot.
- I got HLE (High Level Emulation...I think :) ) working. It works on a few games, but most of the time it fails to load a game. Good thing is, if HLE is selected, it will be able to exit back to the game selection screen if the load failed. So no more crashing on boot. HLE doesn't seem to really help though, but I'll test some more games and see if I can any more FPS from it.
- The first attempt at implementing the dynarec was started today. I haven't got it working at it's most simple form yet, but it is being worked on. This will be a really tough process, and some luck will be needed to get it working soon. It'll be done in due time though.

good news :) 2 FPS doesn't seem like a lot, but 2 FPS here and there, with every optimization, and soon you have 10fps, then 15...then playable!

Yeah, I have been spreading GP2X and retro gaming joy wherever I go. Its the fledgling PS ability that has the WOW! factor of all things.
Keep it up and THANKS!

There should be a kudos vote thing or something with all the devs on it. Pay Per Vote even :p

Hopefully this emu can get good enough I can finally tolerate to pass the FF 7-9, they just burn my eyes way too much on my tv. I am sure it looks kick ass on the gp2x. Well as good as psx can look.

Unai updated the GPU. It's much faster, though still has some bugs to work out. His work is top notch. I just got done playing FF7 on the latest codebase. Here's the results:
GP2X overclocked to 250MHz. The framerate is frames per second and is accurate, not the Vsync rate / interrupt rate:
FF7:
- The intro movie is at about 14 FPS average.
- The game runs at 19 FPS almost constantly until the battle scene.
- The battle scene runs at 14 FPS.
- The pause screen runs at 24 FPS. :)

Wipeout XL:
- The menu runs at about 18 FPS and has 3D animations.
- The in-game framerate is 8 FPS. It's a fun game to play on the GP2X, and already looks great even with the W.I.P. GPU. It's playable and smooth. The Vsync rate is at 18/sec. The timer on it update's about 4-5 times as slow as it should, so 8 FPS is about right as an average.

One Piece Mansion:
- The 3D intro runs at 12 FPS average and is very smooth. The Vsync is at 24 for reference.
- The in-game FPS is 14. :)

This test is without a recompiler, and without HLE enabled. Sound is disabled, and interlaced rendering is on. Without interlacing there shouldn't be a significant lowering in framerate.

Btw, save states work. Comes in handy with that long FF7 intro. :)

I'm going to continue optimizing. There's more to come.
The recompiler is still being worked on, and Tinnus and I have a better grasp of how to go about it.

What I'm thinking is, if the interpreter and the new GPU is getting 8-20 FPS already, with the recompiler, we could see between 20 to 60 frames per second depending on the game on the GP2X. This would be amazing. I'm pretty excited.

So were getting close to beta time. If the recompiler isn't ready for the beta, you'll still be treated to a good update from 0.34-0.36.

Hah so you smile about it running at such a high fps when in pause mode xD Well that is very good to know. Is ff7 smooth btw? Geez donation from me once I can play ff7 decently :) Does ff9 work now that you got the game loading working betteR?

I cant wait for a taste of this.. so this saturday for sure? ^^

Back