Another 8000 Nubs To Go.

DroneB Dev said:
OMG, you should give it more time,

yeti reproduction time requires more than a yeahr plus the feeding time to make them grow is also required.

or is it that the next batch is going to be using low quality big foot nipples that can be found anywhere.

Oh my yeti nipple comment was remembered. Thanks droneb ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm ok with the 7 month wait between first and second Pandora since I'm in on the first batch, but I have a few friends interested in buying one that might not make it in till batch 2. However, if the wait means they'll get a more mature Pandora software, then I'm sure the wait will benefit them. I'm probably going to be talking their ears off the whole 7 months about how much I love my Pandora, and how much I can do with it, and how much better it's made my life, and so on. :lol:

I doubt it would really take 7 months for another batch cause there would be no tweaking and the mold would have been made. I guess the 7 months woud allow the team and us to make everybody jelous for 7 months and there is going to be alot of software by then.

Shaun. said:
I doubt it would really take 7 months for another batch cause there would be no tweaking and the mold would have been made.
7 months is the time Craig has suggested it will take the nub manufacturers to get around to us. It has nothing to do with tweaking or mould creation or whatever; it is simply a matter of having to wait for everyone else that placed orders ahead of OpenPandora.

Remembered when I pre-ordered last year was because I didn't want to wait 6months later (or however long it was) for the second batch to be ready after the first. So no change here. Loooong 'ol wait, but still glad I decided to be 1st batcher. Nothing at all has changed apart from the enforced lead time of some of the parts now, which ends up being close to when they wanted to release second batch anyway.

Shaun. said:
I doubt it would really take 7 months for another batch cause there would be no tweaking and the mold would have been made. I guess the 7 months woud allow the team and us to make everybody jelous for 7 months and there is going to be alot of software by then.

28 weeks is the lead time on several of the parts. That's just how this industry works. You could probably get quoted the same lead time if you phoned up EBV or a similar supplier and tried to order XYZ parts from the PCB.

Can you increase the order without affecting lead time? the second batch being only 4000 seems a bit small, but that's just me.

This thread made me reinstate my 1st batch order, that and the fact that today is my first pay day in my first real job (graduated this year).

Geuben said:
This thread made me reinstate my 1st batch order, that and the fact that today is my first pay day in my first real job (graduated this year).

Welcome to the "real world". Now you will spend 30 years or so to get back in the same state as when you where student.

We don't know how the cash flow is looking. You can't order all the parts to build 4000 more Pandoras if they don't have the money. That'll mean they'd have to find some capital or wait for pre-orders to come in.

Bosbeetle said:
Craigix: Had to order another 8000 nubs last week, and the lead time for Pandora batch two is 28 weeks! Gads!

Looks like preparation on batch 2 already started, hope you guys have some rest in the holiday season :) I'll be busy playing on my pandora then hopefully :) would be nice if zx81 ports the fMSX emulator than I could have the christmas I had as a child, in front of the TV playing nightmare.

Where's the quote from, please? Is it linked definitively with the second batch?

Geuben said:
This thread made me reinstate my 1st batch order

Welcome to OpenPandora marketing.

It's not the nubs that have the long lead times. It is TI and their inability to meet their customer's demands right now. Go to their website and start looking up parts to see that most list a 20 week lead time. I've already had to abandon TI parts for another manufacturer on a smaller project because of this.

MWeston said:
It's not the nubs that have the long lead times. It is TI and their inability to meet their customer's demands right now. Go to their website and start looking up parts to see that most list a 20 week lead time. I've already had to abandon TI parts for another manufacturer on a smaller project because of this.
TI just had a couple really big design wins (Palm Pre, N900). Are they at max production capacity?

I was thinking that there really ought to be a gigantic amount of parallelism in the 2nd manufacturing run, which would (I'd think) that the time to build should be a tiny fraqction of what the first mfr-ing run is taking. Thisw with 2 assumptionsL 1) that the principles ought to get a good month off, and (2) assuming either no modifications, or very nearly so. I do understand why run #1 is taking so long: little experience and very little parallelism, but shoulddn't that be untue about run #2?

I'm really hoping that's true, because I personally want one of the second run.

Back