Another 8000 Nubs To Go.

fusion_power said:
7 Months? Wow, alot time, how is this number calculated? Does it need 28 full weeks to build all the components for the 2. batch or does it need 28 Weeks to have the money together to pay the stuff or are the factories busy so it needs 28 Weeks, or is it just a number which includes a good bunch of "save time frame"?
Lead time for the nubs, so if that's the part that takes longest to arrive can build the rest in the meantime. It sounds long but for the second batch middle of next year was always the plan I guess, just means they don't have much of a choice in the matter lol
Wonder if they know the lead times on all the other components yet, doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
at least the next 7 months should be less fraught and can be properly scheduled. nothing to design, no moulds to make (hopefully... we have the nub moulds? didnt the company go bust?). a long lead in time also allowed time to accumulate the next 4000 pre-orders which could come in more slowly now us early adopters have been so on it. plenty of time to work on things like advertising rather than little logistical design/planning stuff

Gruso said:
BackAssward said:
Wow, I thought I was less cordial, guess I am just less often, glad to see your humanity come out.
It was said in jest. :) Seriously though, I have a knife.

Fight fight fight, just what we need to liven up the place :lol:

Na-Noo said:
Gruso said:
BackAssward said:
Wow, I thought I was less cordial, guess I am just less often, glad to see your humanity come out.
It was said in jest. :) Seriously though, I have a knife.

Fight fight fight, just what we need to liven up the place :lol:
Lol, both of you, nice, but that's not a knife, this is a knife. :p

Edit: for the record, I am an ass far more often than Gruso, just glad he can be one, when he needs to be... I thought I was the only reasonable ass.

Being decent rather than nice is: a nice person is always nice, a decent person is nice when they should be and not when they shouldn't be. Gruso has been nice a lot more than me, but now he clearly shows he is decent. I guess his patience and tolerance is a bit stronger than mine.

Vorporeal said:
I suggest you source enough parts for a LOT of Pandoras. People aren't going to be happy if there's always 7 months in between batches.

All this means is that today, the next batch can't be made till June '10 (but that a commitment seems to have been made to run that batch). Once batch 1 has shipped and demand re-assessed it would be perfectly possible to order another batch for delivery Sep'10, or whenever.

A 6 month lead time for the worst case component is always an optimistic assumption for a complex device like this. Problem is, the expensive parts might be the ones which are hard to source. They've already said the first case order was for 10k, but plastic is cheap once the machine is running. Ordering the nubs has to be done roughly in line to match demand. Ordering more cpus might be less risky, since there is a good chance that they could be sold to a different supplier if necessary.

Anyone who watched micro men will have seen the warehouses full of new computers that had been 'ordered' by a chain of retailers. When the initial demand was satisfied, the initial verbal order was never confirmed.

so since were talking about the second batch... only 28 Weeks™ to go right?

........right?

I mean, it's not like anything can go wrong with the nub company this time right?

........riiiiight?

but seriously, it's not like the economy will tank even further into the recesses and cause even more unknown problems right?

and surely nothing can go wrong with any legal actions taken by FCC for not complying with their regulations, riiiight?????

Don't touch me Gruso!! i have a cat! a cat!!!!!!!

slygamer said:
28 weeks is like a forced break. Just what you and the team need.
I'm pretty sure they were hoping to take a break on their own terms, and then casually get the parts ready when they were ready for them. Knowing they have committed to exactly 4000 more is probably not as comforting as anyone would expect.

WizardStan said:
slygamer said:
28 weeks is like a forced break. Just what you and the team need.
Knowing they have committed to exactly 4000 more is probably not as comforting as anyone would expect.
pffft... whats a little more stress?

I mean, its not like craig will crack and doom the future pandoras forever right?

I suppose once batch 2 is 50% (or insert arbitrary % here amounting to when they think time_to_batch_sold_out <= lead_time_for_nubs) sold, they can start sourcing parts from batch 3 ahead of time, while batch 2 still sells. I don't think it has to be a dead 7 months between every batch.

WhiteBat said:
so since were talking about the second batch... only 28 Weeks™ to go right?

........right?

I mean, it's not like anything can go wrong with the nub company this time right?

........riiiiight?

but seriously, it's not like the economy will tank even further into the recesses and cause even more unknown problems right?

and surely nothing can go wrong with any legal actions taken by FCC for not complying with their regulations, riiiight?????

Don't touch me Gruso!! i have a cat! a cat!!!!!!!
Think it's time to hear the wailing of another cat dying :p

For the record, Gruso an I have a mutual respect, I can jest him a bit if I like... but I never took anything out on him.

I think they also need a few months for all the reviews from the news outlets, game review sites, and youtube to make it to people who are less familiar with Pandora.
By the time these "newbies" place an order, it would only be 3 months away from the 2nd batch release date.

At least that's what I think. :rolleyes:

Don' beat me to death, but wouldn't it be more reasonable to wait till the 1st is out and see how the nubs of these Pandoras work before ordering 8k new ones?

Creature XL said:
Don' beat me to death, but wouldn't it be more reasonable to wait till the 1st is out and see how the nubs of these Pandoras work before ordering 8k new ones?
If there wasn't a 7 month turnaround time, yes it would.
Since there's a 7 month turnaround time, no it isn't.

Creature XL said:
Not to beat you to death, but MWeston tested them, even made a custom rig to do it. That is how they got a good firmware for the first batch.

OMG, you should give it more time,

yeti reproduction time requires more than a yeahr plus the feeding time to make them grow is also required.

or is it that the next batch is going to be using low quality big foot nipples that can be found anywhere.

Back