Release Gorynlich

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Gorynlich, a hack'n slash sort of RPG top-down game...

preview4.png

The game use gl4es and is quite resource intensive. So you'll need a large swapfile for the random dungeon algorithm (like 1Go Swap) and expect some difficulties with the CC driver model.

I used more downscaling on CC and Rebirth, so expect a blocky game play, but if you don't like it and want less blocky sprites, put a file in appdata/grynlich names .shrink and put 9 inside (just mode 9 and 10 will work on this game for now).

Also, it's quite CPU & GPU intensive, so playable mostly on Gigahertz only (but it should run on all model, one you installed a Swapfile and use the correct SGX Driver).

Space and (X) are the action button

m and (B) are the Magic button

History log
========

build 03
------------

• Fresh build, using latest sources
  • Optimised data, less GPU pressure, less pixelisation
build 02
------------

• Fixed texture loading
build 01
------------

• Initial build
  • Customization for the Pandora

Last edited:
I'm excited to try this. Downloading it now. I feel like we have lots of Rogue-likes and not enough Gauntlet-likes on the Pandora.

Thanks!

EDIT: Any recommendation for driver selection? I've tried a few and all I get is the lighting and no sprites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm excited to try this. Downloading it now. I feel like we have lots of Rogue-likes and not enough Gauntlet-likes on the Pandora.

Thanks!

EDIT: Any recommendation for driver selection? I've tried a few and all I get is the lighting and no sprites.

In wich model?

On Gigahertz, the 4.10 is working fine.

Yes on GHz model. Oddly 4.10 did not work for me. I will try redownloading tonight.

Yes on GHz model. Oddly 4.10 did not work for me. I will try redownloading tonight.

Really? I'll double-check tonight (the white box instead of most sprites is due to the "sprites.tga" atlas not loaded, as it's a huge 1024x4096 one, that is downscale at loading).

@edgex004: can you check in the /tmp/pndrun_gorynlich.out the LIBGL_SHRINK level? it should be 9 on the gigahertz. You can also try to put a file named .shrink in appdata/gorynlich that contains just 9 also, if it's not the case...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, there was a problem in the PND. I have fixed it, it should work now.

build 02

------------

• Fixed texture loading

Cool thanks! I just checked and the shrink was indeed being set to 9.

Yep it works! Very fun and I love the dynamic shadows. Slows down every so often, so I might try increasing the shrink to 10.

Yep it works! Very fun and I love the dynamic shadows. Slows down every so often, so I might try increasing the shrink to 10.

Yeah the screenshot doesn't do justice to the dynamic shadows!

About the slowdown, I'm not sure there are GPU related on a Gigahertz, there are many things happening in background and I'm afraid it's CPU limited.

Wow really? My current shadows are done without shaders, but I thought shaders might give a speed boost. I might look at the source to get an idea of how they are done here. If I avoid using shaders, I should hopefully be able to use an older version of your love2d port. Then my game could work on cc units too.

I need to check, though. The simplest method in love2d uses inverted stencils (and shaders, but I've thought of a few ways to avoid using them). For some reason I wasn't able to get stencils to work in old versions. Need to try again.

Does Gorynlich use SDL? I've been thinking of moving to SDL or Sparrow3D.

Hey folks, author here. Thanks for the kind words 8) Yes it does use fbo. I didn't want to use shaders as I like to keep it portable and simple(!)

it does a couple of layers of fbo one with softer alpha for the slightly smooth shadows

I hadn't heard of the pandora until now - if there's any pic of this device running gory, I'd love to see it

sorry about the texture size! 8)

thanks for the kind words

neil

Hey folks, author here. Thanks for the kind words 8) Yes it does use fbo. I didn't want to use shaders as I like to keep it portable and simple(!)

it does a couple of layers of fbo one with softer alpha for the slightly smooth shadows

I hadn't heard of the pandora until now - if there's any pic of this device running gory, I'd love to see it

sorry about the texture size! 8)

thanks for the kind words

neil

Welcome here !

Here a picture of the Pandora with Gorynlich launched.

The things I had to adapt to make it run on the Pandora (that is ARM/GLES1 based);

* Removed the "RAM Disk" mecanism, the ARM linker doesn't like it

* Downscale the sprites.tga texture (GLES Hardware on the Pandora doesn't support texture size > 2048)

Also, the building of a level is quite memory intensive (but that can be solved with a swapfile).

The game can be a little bit slow on the Pandora, but fun to play. Keep on the good work!

Pandora_gorynlich.JPG

Heh - looks awesome - if you don't mind at some point (if it's even possible) commit the diffs back to the git repo ?

tx

neil

Thank you both again for your work. It has given me a lot to think about. I can see this being amazing on Pyra, especially if we have a more reliable network connection and netplay has further developed by that point!

Back