GOG.com

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/424642/anger-over-rape-scene-in-hotline-miami-2/

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/hotline-miami-2-dev-responds-australian-ban/

“How would you, as the developer, most like me to obtain your game?”

the fan asks in his email to Söderström.

“I was thinking that maybe I could torrent it and donate to you directly, but I’m not a fan of torrenting games and I don’t want to get in legal trouble.”

Söderström responded:

“If it ends up not being released in Australia, just pirate it after release. No need to send us money, just enjoy the game!”

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Steam's approach: "Some countries forbid certain content so we are legally obligated to ask and you're legally obligated to tell the truth and we will believe you without verification *nudge nudge* *wink wink*"
Are they applying double standards here ? While its no problem for them to ignore legal restrictions in certain countries, they aren't the "nudge nudge winky winky" type anymore when its about having regionally restricted keys ?

Söderström responded:

“If it ends up not being released in Australia, just pirate it after release. No need to send us money, just enjoy the game!”
The sensible thing would have been to say: try to take this to the political level people. Software piracy is still a bad thing, even if you are not allowed to get the game legally. Pirating this for a quick win, will only play into the hands of those that say "we need copy protection, only activations, etc" because software piracy is still a big thing".But instead bullshit to please the masses...

Söderström responded:

The sensible thing would have been to say: try to take this to the political level people. Software piracy is still a bad thing, even if you are not allowed to get the game legally. Pirating this for a quick win, will only play into the hands of those that say "we need copy protection, only activations, etc" because software piracy is still a big thing".
But instead bullshit to please the masses...
It sounds resigned. He obviously gave up on trying to hope for less censorship in the "free world".

I wonder how many Australians are fighting for it and how many simply don't care.

While its no problem for them to ignore legal restrictions in certain countries, they aren't the "nudge nudge winky winky" type anymore when its about having regionally restricted keys ?
Oh no. Oh no no no no Steam why? Apparently they're still not doing the geoip validation, you can simply change your region in order to add the key and install the game, but there are reports of people that have done this and then had their account suspended some time later as a result. This is a fairly new development and makes me sad. For, like, a decade they were cool about it and then suddenly they start suspending accounts. :(

While its no problem for them to ignore legal restrictions in certain countries, they aren't the "nudge nudge winky winky" type anymore when its about having regionally restricted keys ?
Oh no. Oh no no no no Steam why? Apparently they're still not doing the geoip validation, you can simply change your region in order to add the key and install the game, but there are reports of people that have done this and then had their account suspended some time later as a result. This is a fairly new development and makes me sad. For, like, a decade they were cool about it and then suddenly they start suspending accounts. :(
well to be honest, I doubt they'd want to ban account if they weren't forced by local regulations, either as a response to a direct request or by fear of incoming lawsuit, blame Germany for that I would say...

well to be honest, I doubt they'd want to ban account if they weren't forced by local regulations, either as a response to a direct request or by fear of incoming lawsuit, blame Germany for that I would say...
I guess so too, but Germany can be blamed for many things but why for this exactly ?

I haven't looked at the banned account specifically but I think (this is personal believe, nothing prove this) that the majority of people lying about their country does that just to avoid German's censorship...

Interestingly, what would happen if you purchased a game when you lived in (for example) America, but then moved to Australia. Would that mean that your games will be taken off you? or your account suspended? (referring to both GoG and Steam)?

It most likely won't happen to me, as I currently have no plans on emigrating, but still, just wondering

According to Wikipedia 

Material which is refused classification is put on the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service list of prohibited items. Any copies of these games found at the border will be seized, and its recipient, depending on the amount of copies being imported may receive up to AUD$110,000 in fines.[7]

An individual is allowed to own, use, access or create Refused Classification items, including games (with the exception of Western Australia). But a Refused Classification rating means that the created item is illegal to sell within Australia.
So you can't bring them in with you, but if you bought them on Steam in America, moved to Australia (without having the games with you) and then downloaded and installed the game, you could, legally speaking, play them.

I don't know how Steam and GoG would handle it, though.

Fusion power, for certain game they can only sell the "censored version" which the might not have, can't it be the case with mortal combat?

Possible, Afaik, there never was a official german version of MK so there is no censored version. MK is banned through all parts afaik. Commandos is not but censored for example.

Well at least I still have the original uncensored Mortal Kombat 1 Boxed PC DOS Version, bought back then shortly before the game was put on the Index. :D

Possible, Afaik, there never was a official german version of MK so there is no censored version. MK is banned through all parts afaik. Commandos is not but censored for example.

Well at least I still have the original uncensored Mortal Kombat 1 Boxed PC DOS Version, bought back then shortly before the game was put on the Index. :D
Actually, Mortal Kombat was de-banned in 2005, so I see no reason for this.

The Swastikas in Commandos well.... we all know it's silly because you actually fight against them, but there is a version without those available (not on GoG) and patching it back shouldn't be that big of a problem.

I wonder why there are still no German versions on GoG from Chains of Satinav and Memoria, both natively German games AND regionally priced (= more expensive for Germans) and why GoG doesn't have the translations of Runaway and the Legacy of Kain series either. When we are supposed to pay more, we shouldn't be treated worse, right?

PS: Their newsposts always remind me of this

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YRCzEqkCoiM?feature=oembed

By the way, can anyone confirm that the GOG Fallout serie is not the censored one ?

Before they took the serie out of the store there was people telling it was the one without childrens,blood,etc... but I never had a real answer, and now those discussions are disappeared from the forum...

I don't want to start playing it just to find the bad news in the middle of the game... also because I own the original CDs, and if that's the case I should clean them from the dust

EDIT: oh... found one relevant thing about FO1

"In fact, there are kids in the GOG version of Fallout 1, but they are made invisible and you can't target them for dialogue or attacking. Nonetheless, they are shown as dots on minimap and they can be accidentally harmed/killed with splash damage or missed shot, so you can have a Childkiller status."

EDIT: ok... seems all of them are cut... even on the cinematics... I'll leave them on GOG servers and take out my CDs then... :(

EDIT: ok... seems all of them are cut... even on the cinematics... I'll leave them on GOG servers and take out my CDs then... :(
Afaik those are the UK versions which have the gore but the invisible children, there's a simple patch for this though and it was linked in the board too somewhere.

Is it possible to set GOG.com to english or so? It's NOT illegal to buy these games in germany for adults. Now gog does the same mistake like steam did, they completely missunderstood the german laws and censor wher no need is for censorship.
Maybe they do it is not because its illegal to sell them to adults, but to advertise games that are on the index. So to behave according to law, they would need an adults only area, with a chat window, where you could ask wether they sell a title or not (and don't forget the Internet is still "Neuland" - for about 15 years now :blink: ) . I'm curious wether this will impact future announcements (e.g for sales) that contain banned titles, or not.

the point is, Gog is to blame for a lot of things but in my opinion, they aren't responsible of local regulations (trough they seems responsible of misinterpreting them?)

Back