GOG.com

unfortunate but they don't support Linux and I don't expect them to
Yeah, I wonder what has become of their "we're now supporting Linux"-campaign/statement.

Some overgrown WINE-packages, some (not even all) native .debs that were available on HB years ago and that was it mostly.

Offering the game files as zips/7zips would have meant no real work at all for them and would have achieved more for the average Linux user on whichever distro he might be hooked,

but from what I gathered, not even one member of the GoG-team used Linux before and JudasIscariot was the only one who started using it later on... and he is only the one responsible for keeping the community happy without having any influence on business decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every linux game I downloaded from them was in tar.gz format, I just had to remove their dosbox/wine files, but the other things were ok for me.

Maybe they should think something about the dosbox configurations that differs so much from one game to another, while some of them runs great, others suck bad... they should keep just the one that works better and keep the same for all games, adding another config for just the ones that have special needs.

so yeah, if they just had game files in a separate archive and configurations in another (common ?) archive all should have been easier...

Anyway they don't support Linux in general, they support just Ubuntu.

Whats up with gog recently ? They reeled in a nice package of new games over the last few months (ex Lucasarts, Warner Brothers), but no bonus content to speak of...

while I wouldn't be surprised gog just want to save money by avoiding dealing with additional content, I can still imagine offering additional content for Lucasarts or WB can be tricky due to how they are keen on their licences...

I suppose that them will be added to freshen things a bit, when they are not anymore able to add so much games...

GoG-version of FEAR installs SecuROM, wait for an update before installing.

I did get an email back from Support, and they confirmed it was the "FEARMP.exe" file that was installing SecuROM on people's computers. They said this was missed during the testing phase. So the GOG devs are aware of the DRM issue with FEAR, and they said they're working to release another version that should have this problem fixed.
Source: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/fear_installed_securom_all_over_my_computer_does_anyone_know_how_to_get_rid_of_it/post148

Best promo ever:

bf87da87fd3c3abc054ad107fcc5f4b64699d715.jpg

I also saw that with the Book of Unwritten Tales Promo, but seems to be fixed now.

seems like GOG lately is rushing a bit too much to release things... this is bad for quality

I also saw that with the Book of Unwritten Tales Promo, but seems to be fixed now.
Depends on what you call "fixed".

It was due to regional pricing of course, the dollar price on the left was the one for Americans while the one on the right was the discounted price for Europeans, which is still higher then the normal one...

So does GOG have region prices now? I remember there was a big complaining a while ago when they announced this. I thought the idea was abandoned then, but this seems to be false.  Well the Euro is low at the moment but the problem is, even if the euro is high, the prices are often still higher than in the US.

So does GOG have region prices now? I remember there was a big complaining a while ago when they announced this. I thought the idea was abandoned then, but this seems to be false.  Well the Euro is low at the moment but the problem is, even if the euro is high, the prices are often still higher than in the US.
GoG has regional pricing since August 2014 (Witcher 3 was the first one, most indie releases since then were/are regionally priced)

and pre-order exclusives since February 2014.

Check this one for example.

The difference was huge when the Euro was still stronger, now we are getting closer to "1€ = $1" anyway.

108 titles are currently regionally priced on GoG:

http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?scp=gdspu&dsp=ipgfsorc&flt=prp~1~

They use regional pricing for some games, but they added a sort of "fix" giving you the difference as a "discount" when you'll buy another game.

They use regional pricing for some games, but they added a sort of "fix" giving you the difference as a "discount" when you'll buy another game.
At one time I understood and accepted, even championed, their "discount" solution as a lesser of two evils: if they wanted to get on some of these bigger names and grow as a distribution platform they needed to accept these big companies terms, at least for a while. In the perfect world they could just say "naw, we don't want your massive budget game that's going to bring us lots of money, we're happy making small money on old games and indie titles" but that's not the world we live in, I don't begrudge them that: sacrifice a little of yourself now in order to be stronger for it later.But I just recently learned that it's not just big names anymore, they're putting a lot of new indie games on regional pricing, small companies that should be accepting of whatever terms GoG gives them for distribution until they can make it to Steam.

None of this would be a problem if not for the fact that they made non-regional pricing a key part of the platform in the early days. They had ad campaigns and everything, "because $1 != 1€", it was a fundamental part of their business and the reason a lot of people signed up. For them to now decide that it isn't a part of their vision at all (as opposed to still being part of their vision, just something they need to regretfully compromise for now) is a betrayal. I bought a lot of games from GoG because I believed in what they were doing, often whether I had any interest in playing them or not, and now I find out that where they were going is not where they said they were going, and if I'd known that I would have saved my money.

I mean, the whole "password protected installers" was getting dangerously close to DRM territory, how much longer until they decide that's not part of their future, too?

At one time I understood and accepted, even championed, their "discount" solution as a lesser of two evils: if they wanted to get on some of these bigger names and grow as a distribution platform they needed to accept these big companies terms, at least for a while. In the perfect world they could just say "naw, we don't want your massive budget game that's going to bring us lots of money, we're happy making small money on old games and indie titles" but that's not the world we live in, I don't begrudge them that: sacrifice a little of yourself now in order to be stronger for it later.
But I just recently learned that it's not just big names anymore, they're putting a lot of new indie games on regional pricing, small companies that should be accepting of whatever terms GoG gives them for distribution until they can make it to Steam.

None of this would be a problem if not for the fact that they made non-regional pricing a key part of the platform in the early days. They had ad campaigns and everything, "because $1 != 1€", it was a fundamental part of their business and the reason a lot of people signed up. For them to now decide that it isn't a part of their vision at all (as opposed to still being part of their vision, just something they need to regretfully compromise for now) is a betrayal. I bought a lot of games from GoG because I believed in what they were doing, often whether I had any interest in playing them or not, and now I find out that where they were going is not where they said they were going, and if I'd known that I would have saved my money.

I mean, the whole "password protected installers" was getting dangerously close to DRM territory, how much longer until they decide that's not part of their future, too?
The weird thing about all this is that the big publishers (Lucas Arts/Disney and Warner Brothers) are currently more or less the only ones adding non-regionally priced games to GoG while all the indies do it.

Actually, I don't know of a single AAA game there that is regionally priced apart from Witcher 3 which is made buy the company that owns GoG himself... oh the irony.

All this makes the only pro-regionally-pricing argument they officially gave moot. They have done absolutely nothing for DRM free AAA gaming with this move.

Had a look at the thread about Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate 1/2 + Icewind Dale, seems like there's no love for such versions. LOL

It's moving on:

Hotline Miami 2 is the first regionally banned game on GoG now.

If GeoIP says you are Australian, you can't even access the game card.

I expected this sooner and for Germany to be honest, but it's only a matter of time now when many countries are not able to buy games like Carmageddon and Postal anymore as well as all those uncensored versions of other games.

What is it with all this censoring?

Some dwerps saying "I don't approve of this game, so the adult citizens are not allowed to get it!" in supposedly "free" countries...

I so hope, that I'm wrong and this stuff will get treated like other imports as well.

I like Steam's approach: "Some countries forbid certain content so we are legally obligated to ask and you're legally obligated to tell the truth and we will believe you without verification *nudge nudge* *wink wink*"

Back