GOG.com

is there a list of games with that new installers ? If I own one of them I want to play with it

I just can't understand the reason "because the files in torrents can't be modified with malware" ... if someone download GOG games via torrent It's his fault if something bad happens, GOG does not have to "support" files outside their domain...

also, verifying signature would be much safer than rely on an archive with a password...

I wonder how easy it would be to furnish the installer a bad rar implementation that leaks the password...

Look at HumbleBundle/Store:

No counterintuitive version numbers, no patching snafus, just a file, a timestamp and a MD5 checksum.

GoG's explanations for their "testing the waters" in several directions against their now dead core values get more silly every time.

I've rarely seen worse liars but there still are a lot people believing all of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hated Valve when they stopped to create patches for Half-Life outside steam... to play that game updated I had to do it with slow performances because of that fat client in background... also many of the MODS I was using weren't working on the steam version...

I don't want to live all this story again... I'm downloading my whole GOG library now... hoping that 3 TB of space will be sufficient...

GamingOnLinux.com wrote about it:

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/gogs-installer-encryption-proving-to-be-difficult-for-linux-users.4761

I hated Valve when they stopped to create patches for Half-Life outside steam... to play that game updated I had to do it with slow performances because of that fat client in background... also many of the MODS I was using weren't working on the steam version...

I don't want to live all this story again... I'm downloading my whole GOG library now... hoping that 3 TB of space will be sufficient...
Good idea, that's why I have everything I bought digitally on an external harddrive and a backup HDD.

I can't find the discussion about this, but if this really work then I'm a little less worried

GAMENAME=neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

GAMEID=`curl -s -o- http://www.gog.com/game/$GAMENAME | pcregrep --buffer-size 1M -o1 "addToCart\('/cart/add/(\d+)'\)"`

unrar x p`echo $GAMEID | md5sum | cut -d ' ' -f 1` $FILE
EDIT: here is also explained how to get the password from the install scripthttps://github.com/dscharrer/innoextract/issues/37#issuecomment-68115552

but if this really work then I'm a little less worried
I'm more worried, it means that one of the key reasons they gave for doing this, to prevent bad stuff from being inserted into the package on torrent sites, is trivial to bypass thereby rendering it pointless. It means that they didn't actually think through the decision before making it and that is troubling.

IMO the real problem is that GOG doesn't care whether their windows code runs in wine. If they'd go out of their way just a little bit to make sure their installers (and the stupid galaxy client) do work on linux without issues it would all be moot. But this probably won't happen and AFAICT extracting data without running the installer isn't covered by GOG's EULA anyway (which is nicer than Steam's, but still a pretty standard EULA that reserves most rights to the developer/publisher which is difficult to change because they are a common basis for all GOG releases and unless more user friendly terms - like Erschöpfung for digital distribution or a universal right to reengineer - become a requirement by law in a significant portion of the market I don't see any chance for change here). So this leaves the usual three options: work with or donate to the very fine developers of innosetup and wine, don't use GOG, or whine uselessly. With the bonus option of convincing your legislative body to get their act together and cut down IP laws to adequate levels that not only benefit - typically large - corporations that have effective lobby groups.

I can't find the discussion about this, but if this really work then I'm a little less worried

GAMENAME=neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

GAMEID=`curl -s -o- http://www.gog.com/game/$GAMENAME | pcregrep --buffer-size 1M -o1 "addToCart\('/cart/add/(\d+)'\)"`

unrar x p`echo $GAMEID | md5sum | cut -d ' ' -f 1` $FILE

EDIT: here is also explained how to get the password from the install scripthttps://github.com/dscharrer/innoextract/issues/37#issuecomment-68115552
This is actually a violation of GoG's eula and would justify an instant closing of your account, although the programmer of those new installers said that he doesn't care - maybe his boss does.

@Klumpen: this is something that never changed in more than 20 years for every game released of every distributor...

Any not-official engine needs game data and sometimes you have also to modify it in order to be able to actually use it, also many DRM protected old games needs to be cracked in order to just play them on recent systems... it was always against the EULAs to do those things... there were some exceptions, but VERY few...

As far as I know no one was ever been pursued for that practice, except if it was used for piracy...

I suppose the EULA is just some kind of way to say "We are not responsible if you use our products in a way that differs from our will"

@Klumpen: this is something that never changed in more than 20 years for every game released of every distributor...

Any not-official engine needs game data and sometimes you have also to modify it in order to be able to actually use it, also many DRM protected old games needs to be cracked in order to just play them on recent systems... it was always against the EULAs to do those things... there were some exceptions, but VERY few...

As far as I know no one was ever been pursued for that practice, except if it was used for piracy...

I suppose the EULA is just some kind of way to say "We are not responsible if you use our products in a way that differs from our will"
Yeah I know, but since GoG's whole DRM-free model is partly based on the convenience not having to meddle too much with cracking, hacking and moving around files, this is especcially weird in this case.

Maybe GOG is in the same boat as those producers that had to write "DO NOT PUT ANIMALS IN THE MICROWAVE" in their manuals... who knows for what situations their support is called for (Murphy's laws lists a lot of examples)... but anyway they can't just write instructions into a manual, because their clients will not read that, instead they will contact directly the support team or use the "money back" function...

To me this is getting mad at the candy company for putting the chocolate bar in a sealed wrapper. :p
I love that analogy!!!
Well, we are speaking about making a Pie with that chocolate bar, and it does not have an EULA telling that you can just eat it "as it is" and you can't "modify it" in any way...

at the end the chocolate bar it's REALLY yours, but the software is not...

Anyway excluding that contract, yeah, they wrapped up the games :D

As it looks like, the password thingy is history (for now):

As the topic of password protected archives included inside some of our Windows game installers sparked some heated discussions, we’d like to address some misunderstandings around this topic and let you know that changes will be made.

Password protection appeared in selected multi-part Windows installers, about 30 games from our catalogue that had large install files, over 6 months ago. We implemented it for various other reasons as well, many of which have been mentioned in previous posts. One of them was streamlining installation for the less tech-savvy users to avoid the issue of “broken” games after not using the installer to install them (you more proficient tinkerers have proven that it was a trivial barrier against the more advanced users).

We’ve heard your concerns regarding this solution and we do agree it could have been better. Although the same could probably be said about many other answers to this problem, it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to do better for our community. To that end we will be removing the mentioned archive protection from the select Windows installers that had it until a better solution, both technically and philosophically, is ready. Please continue sharing your suggestions regarding such a solution in this topic - your feedback is very appreciated.

On a side note, we’d also like to invite Captain Obvious here for a moment to remind that GOG offers and supports games compatible with specific operating systems and prepared to be installed on a given system using our included installer for a reason. This is, from the very first day, our way of offering a hassle-free, user-friendly and welcoming experience for millions of our users, no matter what their technical skill level may be.

That is why we cannot guarantee that our installers will never change and will forever remain compatible with each of such unsupported tools. However, it never was and our goal to purposely break compatibility with some third-party extraction tools or emulators used by some of our customers - and, rest assured, it never will be.

GOG.com Team
source

That is why we cannot guarantee that our installers will never change and will forever remain compatible with each of such unsupported tools.
And I'd be ok with that, if the change actually facilitated something. If the password protection had done what they claimed it was intended to do I probably wouldn't have had much of a problem, but it I don't think it even did half of what it was supposed to do. It was a broken feature from the start and if they'd taken two minutes to think about the goals and what rar archives (password or not) are they'd have realized it was a bad idea and done something else.If the system they eventually choose to address the problems actually works without compromising their core principles but breaks Linux compatibility that'll be unfortunate but they don't support Linux and I don't expect them to. Fortunately, while I can think of a few ways to fix all their problems, none of them can break third party support while also being DRM free.

The whole thing reaks of management that had no idea about encryption telling developers exactly what to do rather than asking them to find a solution, and that is a very dangerous work environment. It leads to unhappiness, it leads to bad code, it leads to PR explosions.

Back