GOG.com

Since GoG translated the page to German and have a German board area now, they are advertising specifically to the German market and therefore have to abide to German market laws including the mere showing of a picture of an indexed game.

They shouldn't have done this in the first place, gamers here can comprehend English just fine.

The good news is, that they finally got the German versions of

Driver Parallel Lines
Earth 2150
Enclave
Far Cry 1 and 2
Ghost Recon
HoMM 1
HoMM 4
Imperialism 1
Jack Orlando
Jagged Alliance 2 Wildfire
Knights and Merchants
Might and Magic 7
Normality
Darkstone
POD Gold
Price of Persia Sands of Time, Warrior Within, Two Thrones
Realms of the Haunting
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum
Splinter Cell
Tex Murphy Under a Killing Moon
Feeble Files
UFO series
Waxworks
Cultures 1 + 2
Settlers 2 Gold
Settlers 3 Ultimate

Here the reaction from a guy from Deadalic to the question why there are still no original versions from Chains of Satinav and Memoria on GoG:

Daedalic: wir haben keine Rechte an der deutschen Version von Memoria. Diese liegen bei Koch Media. Wir haben auch keine Chance damit Geld zu verdienen. Der Vertrag ist so gestaltet. Hätten wir den Vertrag nicht, würde es Memoria nicht geben. Würden wir eine deutsche Version bei GOG verkaufen, wo wir das Produkt selbst listen, müssten wir die Umsätze an Koch Media abführen. Wir sind mit einem Spiel wie Memoria noch nicht mal in der Gewinnzone. Die Rechte fallen nach sieben Jahren an uns zurück. Dann könnten wir eventuell eine deutsche Version anbieten, eventuell auch früher, das wäre aber juristisch sehr kompliziert und teuer.

Wir haben immer und werden immer ums Überleben kämpfen müssen. Mit dieser Art von Spielen lässt sich leider kaum Geld verdienen. Wir machen es aber trotzdem. Mich nerven diese Art von Anfragen unendlich, weil wir auch mit irgendwelchen Scheiß-Spielen unter Umständen ökonomisch erfolgreich sein könnten. Wir sind sehr froh darüber, dass wir treue Kunden wie Dich haben. Die Wahrheit ist aber, dass es sich dabei um einige sehr wenige (eventuell 3000-4000 Leute) handelt. Von einem bei GoG verkauften Memoria bekommen wir ca. 8-9 Euro ab. Aber nur wenn der Kunde es zum Vollpreis kauft. In der Regel bleiben durch Rabatte eher im Schnitt 3,00 Euro pro Spiel. Wir würden Memoria sehr gerne fortsetzen, weil auch viele Leute dnach fragen, aber es erscheint unmöglich solch ein Investment wieder zurückzuspielen.

User: Als ich daraufhin fragte wieso sie die deutsche Version dann bei Steam anbieten können, haben sie angefangen mich zu ignorieren und haben nicht mehr geantwortet.
Quelle: http://www.gog.com/forum/general_de/warum_ist_patrician_12_in_der_herzlich_willkommenpromo_aufgefhrt/post6

Seeing this reaction... it's a good thing I didn't buy a Deadalic game anymore since they introduced regional pricing.

No original versions of Patrizier and Port Royale either although they are part of the German promo.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: ok... seems all of them are cut... even on the cinematics... I'll leave them on GOG servers and take out my CDs then... :(
 Afaik those are the UK versions which have the gore but the invisible children, there's a simple patch for this though and it was linked in the board too somewhere.
Some people say that patches doesn't restore original cinematics

EDIT: ok... seems all of them are cut... even on the cinematics... I'll leave them on GOG servers and take out my CDs then... :(

Afaik those are the UK versions which have the gore but the invisible children, there's a simple patch for this though and it was linked in the board too somewhere.
Some people say that patches doesn't restore original cinematics
Hmm, I didn't know that there was a cinematic with a child involved besides the one with the family coming out of the vault and being massacred by the enclave, did they remove this scene or did it show how they actually died in some original American version? I only know the one where the family is waving and then there's a cut to the enclave shooting and that was it.

For everything other than the movies there's a quite big decensoring patch for F1 and F2 restauring all the animations and children in any version (even the far more censored German one).

Hm, I just got to know, that the multiplayer mode for Aliens vs. Predator needs a GoG-account,

isn't this DRM?

Hm, I just got to know, that the multiplayer mode for Aliens vs. Predator needs a GoG-account,

isn't this DRM?
Not according to this article

The story behind the story: While competing PC gaming services like Steam and Origin require you to use their client software (and the associated DRM), GOG’s reputation was built on the back of its DRM-free games and devotion to player choice. To that end, the Galaxy client is an optional feature for GOG gamers, not a mandate, and it won’t inflict arduous DRM protections on your games, either. It’s a refreshing take in the gaming world—and I’m intrigued to see just how nicely Galaxy’s multiplayer capabilities will intermingle with Steam’s.

isn't this DRM?
Not according to this article

The story behind the story: While competing PC gaming services like Steam and Origin require you to use their client software (and the associated DRM), GOG’s reputation was built on the back of its DRM-free games and devotion to player choice. To that end, the Galaxy client is an optional feature for GOG gamers, not a mandate, and it won’t inflict arduous DRM protections on your games, either. It’s a refreshing take in the gaming world—and I’m intrigued to see just how nicely Galaxy’s multiplayer capabilities will intermingle with Steam’s.
Yes, they say that Galaxy will be optional (probably not when it comes to updates, but we'll see...), but it is not optional for multiplayer afaik.

Yes, they say that Galaxy will be optional (probably not when it comes to updates, but we'll see...), but it is not optional for multiplayer afaik.
LAN access is still there, internet play always required some service, I believe gamespy back in the day before it shutdown. 

Many games lost their original multiplayer server, and in the majority of cases the domain was hardcoded, so the ability to use another one is cool.

The best move should have been to make a server switch easier for users... so to have the possibility to connect to unofficial servers too...

Looks like iteration two has started > deals are repeating already.

did anyone found some free game ? I didn't followed the insomnia thing to save my wallet, buy I just found out that there is this possibility...

did anyone found some free game ? I didn't followed the insomnia thing to save my wallet, buy I just found out that there is this possibility...
I've gotten "Nox" and "The Last Federation" for free and since I already had Nox, I gave it away along with some other keys I had left to several people.

Some guys gifted me stuff I was desperately waiting for but did miss (Shadowgate remake) and didn't have the money left for (Halfway) and overall it was a fun experience.

Some of the discounts weren't as good as they seemed (=were cheaper at some point) while others were really good and I know some Europeans who have won regionally priced games which was escpeccially nice.

At least one game dev (Ragnar Tørnquist, The Longest Journey 1-3) did appear in the forums too at one point.

They are modifying the free games system every time, this time it was completely random.

I've gotten "Nox" and "The Last Federation" for free
When did you know they where free ? Was there a "free" button already on the main page, or did you need to click on the buy button first to see it ?

In other news, they gave away "Rise of the Triad" for free yesterday - stumbled upon it by accident (clicked on the wrong page tile) and was one of the last hundred "lucky ones". Unfortunately its the remake from 2013 and the reviews aren't that good, so I put it on the end of my "games to be played" list.

Interesting tidbit in the related news entry:

This is as good a time to get in on the fun, as we anticipate a big, important, Rise of the Triad (2013) technical update! Soon, you'll be facing off against your Steam buddies on equal terms and equal footing.

I've gotten "Nox" and "The Last Federation" for free
When did you know they where free ? Was there a "free" button already on the main page, or did you need to click on the buy button first to see it ?
At the checkout after clicking the "buy now" button.

Regarding Rise of the Triad:

I was at work when they gave away the keys, but already had it anyway.

Yes, they want to make Galaxy multiplayer compatible with Steam-players wherever possible, I see a virtual war coming. ;)

I'm curious about how companies will handle this, maybe find a workaround like special offers limited to some countries to lower the price for them? 

Regional pricing kinda makes sense but is a bit absurd at the same time, it's just another proof that digital goods can't be handled the same way physical goods are.

I wonder if they'll apply the same thing to airplane tickets. These are often much cheaper in eastern europe countries

Back