Gngeo2x 0.7

Have checked it out now, very nice!

AOF3 now works much smoother (low res sound + 250mhz) and seems to do very well at maintaining 60fps albeit with what seems like more slowdown at the start of matches and when some moves are executed for the first time. This slowdown is seen throughout all the games i've tried (improved but not yet perfect cache?) fps can drop very low for fractions of a second (12 and under fps)

svcplus is more playable though doesnt run as smooth as aof3. (still relatively low fps 30-45 with major drops to 6fps sometimes during supers and other moves).

Garou seems to have improved a lot and is very playable!

Compatibility as mentioned is still the same i think (overtop and sengoku2 still dont work in-game)

Ofcourse, turn sound off and most games run almost perfect with much less slowdown.

No sound = 80-100%

With sound, fps can vary greatly from game to game.

All in all, an impressive and much loved release!

To gain speed improvements is it necessary to re-dump the gfx files for this version?

I haven't re-dumped any gfx and I don't really understand how a previous poster experienced speed improvements after doing so. Perhaps a placebo effect?

I found that it's better to dump graphics in Windows with the command line tool rather than with GnGeo2x's built in feature.

- Alex

stormyandcold posted on Aug 30 2006 at 05:01 PM said:
Have checked it out now, very nice!

AOF3 now works much smoother (low res sound + 250mhz) and seems to do very well at maintaining 60fps albeit with what seems like more slowdown at the start of matches and when some moves are executed for the first time. This slowdown is seen throughout all the games i've tried (improved but not yet perfect cache?) fps can drop very low for fractions of a second (12 and under fps)
The slowdown are due to the SD card acces and i think they can't be removed but if GPH have corrected the SD card acces it will be corrected ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For those finding this version a lot faster, it may be because you didn't try the last beta (0.6.12c).
Since that MMU hack powered version, gngeo is nearly 20fps faster.
You should thanks magic Squidge for that :)

Also, you don't need to redump gfx this time.

Just tried the tv-out with MetalSlug..
Works near perfect, just a little too far over to the right.
I'm using Gmenu2x though which is screwing up my tv-out quite a bit :( (but worth it).
I'll remove the startup file for the menu & retry it again, just to make sure that it's not that knocking it off centre.
Nice work with the ROM loading screen, it looks really pro & finishes off the emu nicely :)

***EDIT***
Just checked & it's not Gmenu2x messing it up.
I also tried it without Rage2x & the screen's only showing the top left part of the screen.
I'll mess about with tv-out fixer next & see how that goes :)

Rivroner posted on Aug 30 2006 at 12:44 PM said:
Someone have corruption at the bottom of the screen when raster effects are activated? You can see it in Super Sidekicks games for example

Yes, a friend recently told me to give super sidekicks 3 a try, and while raster option does display the green field (much nicer ;) ), I also have visual corruption at the bottom of the screen (it's still here with 0.7).

Apart from that... SAVE STATES! Thanks a lot Pepone

You know, that new review was so off the mark it's not funny. This emulator is fantastic and easily the 'killer app' for the GP2x.. at least it's what I use to show off the machine to people anyway.

EDIT: BTW, if you want an alternative to Super Sidekicks try Goal! Goal! Goal! It's good fun and no glitches.

starpause posted on Aug 31 2006 at 03:13 PM said:
pepone, thanks much for the new version! i love playing old favorites like twinkle star sprites and wakuwaku :)

is it possible to make gngeo launch the NeoGeo: Rage2X (GNGeo Frontend) rather than it's own file selector when exiting from a game?
There is a option in rage2x for that (reload gui IIRC). Press select when you're on the game selection screen.

Hi Pepone!

great work as usual! just one question about vsync or double buffer (sorry but dunno are similar or different concepts!):
once you told me something like "I don't think I'll make vsync in gngeo ever"..and well, fine with that, but just to know: why?
I mean if you play eightman (ie) the backgrounds buildings moves a kind different than other emus with double buffer turned on... obvliousy it takes lot of cpu, but the results is worth in my opinion (and thinking many other included this feature in their emu, so it should be important no?)
I think that for many scrolling games (like the first run of neogeo, trash rally etc..) enabling double buffer could give more "solid" visualization and improve the gaming experience... someone could always turn it of and byez if the game asks for too much cpu.
I've read about gngeo frame interpolation, is it another feature that try to achieve the same results? Is it implemented on the gp2 version?

Well thanks in advance for the answers!

Aruseman

Aruseman posted on Aug 31 2006 at 06:08 PM said:
Hi Pepone!

great work as usual! just one question about vsync or double buffer (sorry but dunno are similar or different concepts!):
once you told me something like "I don't think I'll make vsync in gngeo ever"..and well, fine with that, but just to know: why?
I mean if you play eightman (ie) the backgrounds buildings moves a kind different than other emus with double buffer turned on... obvliousy it takes lot of cpu, but the results is worth in my opinion (and thinking many other included this feature in their emu, so it should be important no?)
I think that for many scrolling games (like the first run of neogeo, trash rally etc..) enabling double buffer could give more "solid" visualization and improve the gaming experience... someone could always turn it of and byez if the game asks for too much cpu.
I've read about gngeo frame interpolation, is it another feature that try to achieve the same results? Is it implemented on the gp2 version?

Well thanks in advance for the answers!

Aruseman

well I don't remember saying that :lol: (I say lot of thing)
Actually, I can easilly make it as an option, maybe in the next version ;)

when interpolation is enabled, the last frame is blended with the current one, it make blinking sprite as transparent, but it take much more cpu and is too slow on the gp2x.

I was wondering Pepone do you think there is any more speed optimization that can be wrung out of GnGeo on the GP2X? It is great now and I am not complaining at all I was just wondering if it is at it's theoretical limit now for the hardware. Also is the newest version faster than the prevoius? I heard someone here claiming it was but the previous one had the squidgehack too. I get very smooth framerate now with 11025 KHz sound.

DaveC posted on Aug 31 2006 at 07:52 PM said:
I was wondering Pepone do you think there is any more speed optimization that can be wrung out of GnGeo on the GP2X? It is great now and I am not complaining at all I was just wondering if it is at it's theoretical limit now for the hardware. Also is the newest version faster than the prevoius? I heard someone here claiming it was but the previous one had the squidgehack too. I get very smooth framerate now with 11025 KHz sound.
Well, I'm sure it can get faster, but for that, I'll need to rewrite the sound core and it's a long process.
Without sound, the limit is not so far I think, but who knows... i'm still a beginner in arm asm.
As for this version faster than the last one, no it shouldn't. but as the last one was a beta, maybe not everybody got it.

Back