Global Chip Shortage Threatens Production of Laptops, Smartphones and More

ok. just ordered the cheapest brother printer. DCP-J1200W. no touchscreen. I like it already. yes linux drivers. thanks everyone.
Does it come with a power cable? Most electronics, to save the environment, have started shipping without a charger. Most modern printers do not include the USB cable anymore; they called it: Sold separately. And next year, cars will ship without wheels because "you could use your old car tires to save the environment". (and it has nothing to do with wheel shortages, promise!) ;)

Yeah I wondered about that, though I don't think the owner of said Windows computer wants to lose any features, and there's the scanning question too.
Not sure about the features you would lose (because yes, if you have a usb entry for selecting and printing photo's a network printer will change the way you do this), but scanning can be done using the sane daemon (and a bit of configuration). So CUPS + SANE is what you want. And it's not all that hard either...

I would expect his printer not to have a battery inside. I've not yet come across powered mains things without a mains lead (with included transformer if it doesn't actually run on mains).

WTF. Some news make you think chips shortage is good news.

Turns out Serbs in in Kosovo don't pay their electricity bills because they don't recognize the Kosovo state and so mine crypto like crazy. Electricity costs little anyway because of coal power stations, and once the lights go dark on New Year because of mining, the government has to prohibit it (temporarily) and seize equipment.

If despite my skepticism I live again in some form, I expect not to be human. We just suck.

If despite my skepticism I live again in some form, I expect not to be human. We just suck
I like people. Almost every one I meet. But our collective decision making process yields terrible results and is ruining the planet. I'm talking about democracy in its current form, corporate forces and all the mistrust and short sighted greed. Hobbits should be in control.

um...... I hope it comes with ink.
Mostly not. Some printers have "demo ink", that means, these are padded inside in a way that it looks like they are full, but actually have less ink than a normal cartridge.
Then again, you bought a Brother, so I have faith in it. Try to weight your ink cardridge before you use it and when it's empty to know how much grams of ink you've used.

Mostly not. Some printers have "demo ink", that means, these are padded inside in a way that it looks like they are full, but actually have less ink than a normal cartridge.
Then again, you bought a Brother, so I have faith in it. Try to weight your ink cardridge before you use it and when it's empty to know how much grams of ink you've used.
I assume all consumer printers have a demo cartridge inside. They are so 'cheap' a competitor with a full cartridge would lose, so I assume all of them participate.

I wonder if less opensource hardware is actually a boon. Dev's concentrate on the remaining boards and tech, and so these flourish more?

Makes sense though. Once you get a PS5, there are hardly any games on that. And PS4 looks good enough and surely still has some momentum, so supporting it longer makes sense. But gamers won't be happy because gamemakers will target PS4 and optimize for that, so the result is quickly ported games to PS5 (PS5 is somewhat backwards compatible with PS4, most games will work, some are glitchy, a very small list wont run), not optimized for PS5, so the technology gap won't be that great, for those games. (PS5 is 8 times faster than PS4 and for that you probably only get higher resolution and not better AI or nicer effects).

addendum: I liked the comments here (note that it's a joke site, so take all comments with a grain of salt):

• you can shutdown the PS5 production line waiting for PS5 components, or you can keep it running making PS4 (for which enough components are available). As your maintenance upkeep and salaries are constant... better produce instead of pause.
  • There is still a market for PS4 (but selling them at full price is a bit tricky)

Last edited:
Due to 52b state subsidy. While being in favour of job options at home it's clearly been mismanaged requiring this massive taxpayer bailout. the government failed. again.

I've been there in Columbus before, for study, maybe this is a reason to visit the US again.
I would like to tour an actual fab if possible, just to see the inside and see how they work.
For now I have to do with their video's:

I doubt personally even if you got yourself on a guided tour of the fab, you won't actually see much inside the clean room.
Well I doubt they'll be able to resist me asking sincerely and in a friendly manner to let me into the clean room for a guide tour.
sadlook.jpg
You never know until you try, right :)

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=BT4RgpcyfLg

Q1a:
Yang worked in the screen quality check department
Daily screens to be checked: 6000
He only worked 10 hours a day (assume no breaks)
How many seconds does he have to check one screen?
Answer: 5 screens every 30 seconds (6 seconds per screen)

Q1b: Assume he takes one 30 minute break, how much less check-time has he per phone?
Answer: 0.3 seconds

Q2:
Yang earns 0.7 euro an hour.
How much does he earn per month if he works 6 days a week and a month has 4 weeks?
Answer: 168 euro

Back