Global Chip Shortage Threatens Production of Laptops, Smartphones and More

That's on top of the current delays due to the massive orders they got already.
On this location wafer tables, reticle chucks and mirror blocks are created. These are essential to new but also existing systems.
I have no clue what the current impact is but it's just another possible hurdle for chip production to become normal again.

Meh, the factory was only bought from a lens makers a few years ago. It was probably under planning applications for a while then only just started fit out. It's not uncommon for factories being built up to catch fire.

Meh, the factory was only bought from a lens makers a few years ago. It was probably under planning applications for a while then only just started fit out. It's not uncommon for factories being built up to catch fire.
The investment was because the parts they create are essential to ASML and to invest in scaling up. Hopefully the fire was indeed in an unused part of the factory and doesn't have impact on the scaling up.

Looks like the EUV-line is impacted. The production of wafer-clamps hasn't resumed yet.
These wafer-clamps are what are clamping the wafer onto the waferstage (chuck), there are two of these chucks in any TWINSCAN product. These chucks are moving the wafers inside of the machine. These clamps are made for new units, but also need to be available for maintenance on existing ones. It's a bit silly that such a relatively small component could halt production, but you can't ship machines without them.

It actually is a big issue. As Canon has a service for enterprise users, where Canon will automatically deliver new toner to users that run out (as the cartridge can measure it's contents).
Now users will be annoyed and Canon can't pro-actively sell their toner. Possibly alternative suppliers with lower rates will see some opening to sell some ink there.

I recently smashed my canon printer. It told me there was no paper in the cassette one too many times. I told my family the cuts on my hand were from skateboarding.
It's a Windows printer, right? Then use the windows feature drag-and-drop: Drag it to a window and drop it.
Congratulations on your new printer. What brand is it?

Last edited:
I didn't get a new printer yet and am open to suggestions.

Fwiw I would run osx in a VM for most printing. Linux drivers have, do and always will suck. Gotta admit that.

I didn't get a new printer yet and am open to suggestions.

Fwiw I would run osx in a VM for most printing. Linux drivers have, do and always will suck. Gotta admit that.
I don't know what your requirements are.
I wanted a laser printer because I was tired of inkjet clogging.
A cabled network connection, as I have had extremely poor experience with wireless connections to a printer.

I used colour printing very rarely, so if it is important, I'll send the colour print to a local print-shop that is about 500 metres away.

So the following printer met my requirements. I've had no trouble with it. I use Linux and have had no driver problems.

Brother HL L2370DN

If you need wireless, other printers in the range offer that. The model I have has a USB 2.0 connection, which I have never tried.

In my case, I also had a poor experience with an Epson inkjet not wanting to pick up paper.

So the following printer met my requirements. I've had no trouble with it. I use Linux and have had no driver problems
I use a Brother too. HL L8250CDN. The cheaper alternative toners also work well.

Re advice, just check compatibility with Linux _before_ purchasing, and always check running costs, as replacement ink can be more expensive than the printer itself.

Oh, and don't buy Canon printers. This was the company that stops you from scanning on some of their printers if there's no ink. DRM hacks aside, they're not ay all an ethical company.

A cabled network connection, as I have had extremely poor experience with wireless connections to a printer.
What's wrong with a parallel port, or these days a USB cable? Office lasers are more commonly used as network appliances, but for a home computer I'd have thought having it tethered to the local PC might still be applicable. Makes it slightly more complicated if you want to print from your laptop or phone I guess, so maybe there's a case for running a printer as a network appliance at home these days too.

In my house we have a USB printer attached to a Windows computer which was sharing it on the network, every few months a Windows update made the sharing stop working until we found some setting to change, until a few weeks ago when we didn't manage to get it working again. I said "let's get a network printer next time".

What's wrong with a parallel port, or these days a USB cable? Office lasers are more commonly used as network appliances, but for a home computer I'd have thought having it tethered to the local PC might still be applicable. Makes it slightly more complicated if you want to print from your laptop or phone I guess, so maybe there's a case for running a printer as a network appliance at home these days too.
Nothing as such. It depends on your use case.

In my case, there are 5 personal computers that need to be able to print, a WiFi network, and a cabled network as available resources. It got a bit boring disturbing the person sitting next to the printer to plug and unplug the USB cable, so I put the printer on the network. It turned out that printing from Windows PCs over WiFi worked badly - possibly due to weak WiFi signal and also the double-hop from PC to WiFi hub and from WiFi hub to printer; and scanning (it was a multifunction inkjet) was worse.
So end result is a wired Brother network monochrome laser printer, and I kept the multifunction inkjet as a scanner (thankfully, it is not a Canon model, so it scans even when it has no ink). The cabled laser printer just works. Every so often the Windows printing glitches, but from my Linux PCs I have had no problem.

I am not saying this is the best solution for you. Inkjets need to be used so they don't dry out, and my usage was not enough, so I got problems. My Epson WF-2650 had poor paper handling, often not picking up a new sheet and then complaining - I guess a problem with the rubber compound on the rollers and maybe poor geometry, but the combination of clogging (most likely to lack of sufficient use) and paper handling problems means that I chose to try a laser printer instead, and for me it has worked well. I could not quite justify a colour laserprinter, but if I ever win the lottery jackpot, which is unlikely as I don't participate, I would buy a colour laserprinter, as it would make some of my data presentations prettier.

so the one I smashed was a canon with a scanner and photo print capabilities. the only reason I need a printer is to print/sign/scan documents. because editing pdfs is too much of a pain.

In my house we have a USB printer attached to a Windows computer which was sharing it on the network, every few months a Windows update made the sharing stop working until we found some setting to change, until a few weeks ago when we didn't manage to get it working again. I said "let's get a network printer next time".
May I suggest connecting that printer to a small raspberry pie, (or possibly Pandora, although I do not see a CUPS pnd, so it would need to be a non-default distro) and run it from there?

Here is a good howto:

Another howto:

May I suggest connecting that printer to a small raspberry pie, (or possibly Pandora, although I do not see a CUPS pnd, so it would need to be a non-default distro) and run it from there?
Yeah I wondered about that, though I don't think the owner of said Windows computer wants to lose any features, and there's the scanning question too.

Back