Global Chip Shortage Threatens Production of Laptops, Smartphones and More

Note that sun report is from March this year. Back then we did have a supply problem in getting the right vials to the right places in time.

In answer to your question, the report does state however:
Desert sand is too smooth and round to be melted down? Desert sand is indestructable? I want me some desert sand armour for all my stuff and I.

It's true that you can't use round sand, e.g. desert sand, for concrete.
The first time I've heard about sand shortage was 25 years ago. Was told by a scientist that we were going that way, and I was incredulous.

I guess we need a machine then to make desert sand suitable for whatever we need it.
A company with such an invention would make billions within days.

So the old German Slogan "Something exists that many like Sand on the Ocean" isnt right anymore? ( wie Sand am Meer)..
I have bad experience whit Mandatory Updates on my GPD Win, therefore i went back to the Pandora back then.., (and Pyra also updates only when you want it to do so..)..

My computer continuously asks me to update everything. It's not primarily about security fixes. No way. I'd take it further and say the new features probably introduce more vulnerabilities than are patched. Almost certainly.
New features do introduce new vulnerabilities, but since they're new, they need time before they are discovered and exploited. While your old version is likely to have an old vulnerability that has been disclosed publicly and that can be exploited by easily accessible hacking toolkits.

Ideally you should be able to get only security updates. But even if the developer wants to do that, it can get tricky to maintain.

When you sit in the Waiting Room for a Haircut, you pull out your GPD WIN for some Tetris, but there is no Tetris, there is just "Please dont shut down your Computer whyle whe Update Windows".. , Problem was also: If i would put the GPD WIN Back in my Pocket back then , it would get a Heating Death because its dit run whit its CPU On and the Fan would only push the Heat in my Pocket..

Therefore i used the Win only for Youtube on TV or as a Tiny Computer, the same as i want my Pyra..

New features do introduce new vulnerabilities, but since they're new, they need time before they are discovered and exploited. While your old version is likely to have an old vulnerability that has been disclosed publicly and that can be exploited by easily accessible hacking toolkits.

Ideally you should be able to get only security updates. But even if the developer wants to do that, it can get tricky to maintain.
What really saddens me is these type of disruptions (forced updates) have become accepted as the norm - even for linux.

What really saddens me is these type of disruptions (forced updates) have become accepted as the norm - even for linux.
Most of the time I am happy when I get new features and new free stuff on my Linux computer.
I went with Manjaro because I want to get the latest updates and features.

That said, my computer does not force any updates.
I'm using a graphical package manager that notifies me when there are updates, that is all.
No forced updates.
When using Debian, you won't get that many updates and no one forces you to install them ever.

My phone is from 2015 and I did not do a single update within the last 4 years or so as there are no more updates.
I can use that perfectly fine.
I'll get a new one now as I was lucky to get a Early Bird offer for the Astro Slider which is the only phone which has a German keyboard.

Not everything is forced updates.
If you for example own an old MS Office from 2013 or an old Photoshop, you can still use it today without any issues.

What I do not like is how Microsoft constantly updates the OS and resets you settings if you have bad luck.

You don't have the latest spyware if you don't update your Windows frequently
Good try. Fear of missing out against fear of updating. I'll have to move to Kabul or I won't get to know the latest on dictatorships... Mine is so last year's...
I don't think it works with @netcat anyway.

Nah, I personally am the update guy.
I believe updates close security holes and I should get them when they become available.
Especially on Linux and my browser.

I'm more a debian user. I try to keep security updates but refuse functionality updates as long as I can. Unfortunately it's not a personal decision anymore. The more internet grows the more others decide your computing for you. But then the more important it is to stay militantly retro to add social friction. I can understand @netcat. Turns out software is mathemathical folklore.

I'm more a debian user. I try to keep security updates but refuse functionality updates as long as I can. Unfortunately it's not a personal decision anymore. The more internet grows the more others decide your computing for you. But then the more important it is to stay militantly retro to add social friction. I can understand @netcat. Turns out software is mathemathical folklore.

What is your reason for that?
I always like new features, especially when they are free.

Some people reason that the security of being on a known version beats all. I used to think that too but got quickly aggravated by good stuff being out there but not available to me, so after my debian adventure I went next for arch and have been happily there for a good five years now.

What is your reason for that?
I always like new features, especially when they are free.
When I was in the University learning stuff about computers I had a teacher I kind of respected without really liking him.
One of the things he said was: "All in all, [computing] it's just (0+1)*". In the then current notation there, it meant the regexp "(0|1)*".
So it's all just zeroes and ones, no matter how fancy they want to sell it. It's all already there somehow.
I like bug fixes, but I find new functionality pretentious. We've had computers for many decades. I'm not finding them more useful as time goes by.
Many updates just bring fewer features, dumber UIs, whatever the new developer thinks you should like because she wasn't there she didn't that, yet.
Sometimes there's just something useful in there, no way to prove it can't be, so I wouldn't like to kill your joy @Askarus.
If you like to update, enjoy your updates.

Recently venerable oss favorite firefox ruined my life for a few days. I was forced to upgrade because youtube stopped working (yes - i use youtube, i am human). All my settings were gone, most notably bookmarks, and I tried a few more pedestrian approaches to import my old profile, until i finally bit the bullet and copied over a bunch of sqlite3 db's. That worked! Amazing... Forced upgrade, huge hassle, and what's the reward? Youtube works again. I had to fight for the status quo. I'm not finished yet. At one point I went to great lengths to get the latest Mozilla. I managed to compile if from source, including updating all sorts of dependencies on Mandrake running on a powerpc about 20 years ago. It took 10 hours to compile after days of compilation and link errors. But it was absolutely worth it, because I got the absolutely useful, bleeding edge innovation: browser tabs. It was worth the effort. What's my point? Give me a true innovation like browser tabs and I'll upgrade. Otherwise don't waste my time.

Last edited:
Back