Global Chip Shortage Threatens Production of Laptops, Smartphones and More

We are witnessing a major shift (or a major sh*t).
After years being educated to be mass consumers, we will be deprived of anything, even our Liberty.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: rSl
I've stopped being a mass consumer of plastic tat a few years ago now. It mainly coincided with my decision not to use amazon for anything I could get elsewhere, even if it cost slightly more, and nowadays I haven't bought anything from amazon for over a year.

Edit: It's not affected my liberty. I'm still able to walk where I want, even if sometimes others don't want me there, and I can still read all of the books I've got in my collection.

This one is nice: Too much energy consumption. Regulations makes chip producers slow down their production.
And blackouts... intentional or not.

So: Production crisis, energy crisis, food crisis, health crisis, sand crisis, affordable living crisis, clean water crisis... pick 8.

We are witnessing a major shift (or a major sh*t).
After years being educated to be mass consumers, we will be deprived of anything, even our Liberty.

Luckily we don't need faster computers or higher res 8k screens or 6G or foldable smartphones or whatever to enjoy our life.
Todays computers and cars are good enough for an average person to live high live they could not have imagined 20 years ago.

Take GPUs as an example.
All I target is 1080p 60 fps.
There is simply no need for me to go beyond that and buy a 3080.
I can get pretty much any GPU produced in the last 5 years to give me all I want.
Sure, 1 or 2 generations of GPD Win and Pyra SoCs would be great.
However if it won't happen I already have anything I need.

(more SSD density would be nice ...)

There security vulnerabilities are by and large FUD, a coercion technique to get users on the latest code, which has numerous benefits to the software providers.
Not really.
There are security vulnerabilities, and some of them are pretty dangerous and exploitable by many actors, especially now that criminal organisations have added hacking/ransomware to their portfolio.

Software providers don't need to use FUD to get users to get the latest code: they just have to add an auto-update feature and enable it by default.

Sand shortage (which we already knew for making concrete). It's "the sun", so take the article with a grain of, uh, sand:

no, there is no recycling, never heard of that. Also: the glass protector for your phone, that type of glass.
Post automatically merged:

Software providers don't need to use FUD to get users to get the latest code: they just have to add an auto-update feature and enable it by default.
If the software worked as the post office: Your software update will start between 6:00 am and 18:00 pm keep your laptop on. You need to be home. We will reboot a few times to complete the process.
Post automatically merged:

Not chip shortage per se but interesting what we might expect to come of the impending copper shortage: https://hackaday.com/2021/09/30/the...e-aluminum-or-carbon-nanotubes-to-the-rescue/
Not for a few years though:

Although investors can not leach as much as they used to (22% back to 4% of ROI):

I also rather breath in copper than carbon nanotubes (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29506458/). It's like asbestos... just another kind of worse... let's use them in toys! yay!

Last edited:
How does “sand shortage” fit with increasing desertification?
Note that sun report is from March this year. Back then we did have a supply problem in getting the right vials to the right places in time.

In answer to your question, the report does state however:
Even though deserts make up a third of the planet, desert sand is too smooth and round for use in construction, tech, or making glass.

Note that sun report is from March this year. Back then we did have a supply problem in getting the right vials to the right places in time.

In answer to your question, the report does state however:
Fair though it being the #TotalEclipseOfTheSun, I would need quite a bit of confirmation before believing their usual nonsense...

Last edited:
How does “sand shortage” fit with increasing desertification?
@levi already replied to this.

I would need quite a bit confirmation before believing their usual nonsense...
Start with the United Nations Report from a few years ago:

Then:

If you are not convinced, then economy reports:

There are large african coastal areas where they just took the whole beach... miles and miles of beach.... gone. Not pointing fingers, because I have no proof, but most likely: China, Singapore (people that sold the sand to these countries).

Not really.
There are security vulnerabilities, and some of them are pretty dangerous and exploitable by many actors, especially now that criminal organisations have added hacking/ransomware to their portfolio.

My computer continuously asks me to update everything. It's not primarily about security fixes. No way. I'd take it further and say the new features probably introduce more vulnerabilities than are patched. Almost certainly.

@levi already replied to this.

Start with the United Nations Report from a few years ago:

Then:

If you are not convinced, then economy reports:

There are large african coastal areas where they just took the whole beach... miles and miles of beach.... gone. Not pointing fingers, because I have no proof, but most likely: China, Singapore (people that sold the sand to these countries).
Looks like it’s still in the prototype/seeking regulatory approval stages but https://www.youfab.info/2018/winners/finite

Back